AfrobabeUK

k1 visa and being HIV +

17 posts in this topic

Hello all,

I am new here and would like some advise.

My fiance is preparing to put in the petition for the K1 visa. I am HIV+ and am aware that this should not be an obstacle to obtaining the visa.My question is based around the Ryan White programme. My fiance researched into this and was informed that it is not part of government assistance, therefore when I go for my Consulate interview I'll say that is what I shall be using to get my medication.

so is it in fact a non governmental programme or not? I don't want us to get to the point of the interview only to find out that it's only a programme for US citizens.

We have discussed me being put onto his health insurance at work once we're married, and he earns $45,000 plus bonuses of at least $10.000 so he earns way more than the poverty line threshold in Florida.

Are there any health insurance programmes we can look in to for purchasing upon my arrival that cater for new immigrants with pre-existing conditions?

My condition is stable and I do not have any other health issues.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/598954-hiv-positive/

Edited by mariabetances

so it will effect hes visa ? if hes HIV + ?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Being HIV positive is no longer a bar to getting a visa. IF you were at a stage where there were significant expenses for medial care your sponsor might be asked to show they had a plan to shoulder these expenses. Programs for the treatment would know better on how they are funded than those of US on VJ. My husband saw a family of DV lottery winners denied for being HIV positive after they had spent all their money to pay for the medicals and interviews

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Being HIV+ is not a bar. I can also tell you that if you can get onto your spouse's health insurance go for it. There is also no bar to pre-existing conditions anymore to obtain health insurance in the US. And you can use or purchase any insurance (O'care/state/federal exchanges), private plans, or spouse's insurance. The things you are prohibited from using is Medicaid and Medicare. All persons residing in the US, be they citizens or immigrants must obtain health insurance or pay a penalty in taxes. Plenty of people decide to go without though and pay the penalty. You however are very much going to need insurance, and have to prepare for the expense of that. According to some things I've read as long as the individual makes under $47k you may obtain medication through the Ryan White program, regardless of immigration status. I would suggest though that further research be done on this, and speak to some representatives to ensure this is the case. I don't know if the topic will come up during the London interview, but I would assume you would need to discuss or bring evidence of your status during the medical at Knightsbridge. It certainly sounds like your fiancé makes well of the threshold limit, so I think as long as you can get insurance established once in the US quickly, there should be no issues.

Our Journey Timeline  - Immigration and the Health Exchange Price of Love in the UK Thinking of Returning to UK?

First met: 12/31/04 - Engaged: 9/24/09
Filed I-129F: 10/4/14 - Packet received: 10/7/14
NOA 1 email + ARN assigned: 10/10/14 (hard copy 10/17/14)
Touched on website (fixed?): 12/9/14 - Poked USCIS: 4/1/15
NOA 2 email: 5/4/15 (hard copy 5/11/15)
Sent to NVC: 5/8/15 - NVC received + #'s assigned: 5/15/15 (estimated)
NVC sent: 5/19/15 - London received/ready: 5/26/15
Packet 3: 5/28/15 - Medical: 6/16/15
Poked London 7/1/15 - Packet 4: 7/2/15
Interview: 7/30/15 - Approved!
AP + Issued 8/3/15 - Visa in hand (depot): 8/6/15
POE: 8/27/15

Wedding: 9/30/15

Filed I-485, I-131, I-765: 11/7/15

Packet received: 11/9/15

NOA 1 txt/email: 11/15/15 - NOA 1 hardcopy: 11/19/15

Bio: 12/9/15

EAD + AP approved: 1/25/16 - EAD received: 2/1/16

RFE for USCIS inability to read vax instructions: 5/21/16 (no e-notification & not sent from local office!)

RFE response sent: 6/7/16 - RFE response received 6/9/16

AOS approved/card in production: 6/13/16  

NOA 2 hardcopy + card sent 6/17/16

Green Card received: 6/18/16

USCIS 120 day reminder notice: 2/22/18

Filed I-751: 5/2/18 - Packet received: 5/4/18

NOA 1:  5/29/18 (12 mo ext) 8/13/18 (18 mo ext)  - Bio: 6/27/18

Transferred: Potomac Service Center 3/26/19

Approved/New Card Produced status: 4/25/19 - NOA2 hardcopy 4/29/19

10yr Green Card Received: 5/2/19 with error >_<

N400 : 7/16/23 - Oath : 10/19/23

@ yuna628

:joy: Thanks so much for that information. So I guess my fiance's research into the Ryan White Programme was correct.

I've read that there's a limit to the amount of medication one can bring into the US, but I'm thinking if I were to come

with say 2 bottles, surely the process of changing my status and getting health care insurance and everything else

sorted, I'd be out of medication.

Are there ways of getting round that legally?

Filed: Timeline

@ yuna628

:joy: Thanks so much for that information. So I guess my fiance's research into the Ryan White Programme was correct.

Be aware that the Ryan White program is federally funded, and its funding must be appropriated by Congress each year. In 2017 Congress will be dominated by the same political party as the new President, so who knows what will happen.

An alternate source for medications is from the pharmaceutical companies themselves. You can check for the availability of the specific meds you take on needymeds.org, a free site that gathers all the Patient Assistance Programs together.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Welcome to the forum.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Kenya
Timeline

Hello all,

I am new here and would like some advise.

My fiance is preparing to put in the petition for the K1 visa. I am HIV+ and am aware that this should not be an obstacle to obtaining the visa.My question is based around the Ryan White programme. My fiance researched into this and was informed that it is not part of government assistance, therefore when I go for my Consulate interview I'll say that is what I shall be using to get my medication.

so is it in fact a non governmental programme or not? I don't want us to get to the point of the interview only to find out that it's only a programme for US citizens.

We have discussed me being put onto his health insurance at work once we're married, and he earns $45,000 plus bonuses of at least $10.000 so he earns way more than the poverty line threshold in Florida.

Are there any health insurance programmes we can look in to for purchasing upon my arrival that cater for new immigrants with pre-existing conditions?

My condition is stable and I do not have any other health issues.

Hello, PM me if you like more information.

1. The medical exam does not ask for any information on HIV status, nor do they collect information or test you for that, so I am not sure if your status needs to be disclosed anywhere as it is not pertinent to the application FOR the K1.

2. When you get to the US (Can you get a 90 day supply? or more from the UK?) you can either get on your fiance(e)'s Health Insurance or find out if you can get supplies from Drug Companies.

3. Be aware, that most drug companies have a programme for people who cannot afford drugs based on means testing. In addition, depending on the drug company (go to the website of the drug you are taking eg www.atripla.com or www.triumeq.com etc and get a card for the co-pay on your then spouse's Health Insurance.

4. In the meantime BEFORE you hop on the plane, you should get catastrophic health insurance not travel insurance as you are coming to the US with Immigrant Intent.

5. As someone suggested, needymeds.com is a great site. In any case, HIVMA and CDC Guidelines need you to get tested four times a year.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Good luck.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).