iran33

Green Card without Degree - From F1 visa

54 posts in this topic

Filed: O-1 Visa Country: Iran
Timeline

belinda63, the "dilema" is to understand if I have the requirements. If I don't (if my chance to be denied is high) I can get issues if I try to apply to H1 or to renew my F1 in a future... makes sense?

F1H1I130, yes, I know that, I have my CPT approved and I can work, that's not the "problem".

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

I don't understand what your issue is. You apply for the job, it cost you nothing. Your employer decides if they want to hire you and they do all the work and pay all the money. So what is your dilemma?

It might not cost him the financial expenses. But once a green card is filed for him his INTENT changes to immigrant on a NON_IMMIGRANT status, So if he gets rejected, he would not be allowed to come back in the country (if he travels) and also might have problems in getting a non-immigrant visa like extension of F1 and the benefits thereof like OPT

ROC Timeline

June 15, 2020: Sent package through USPS

June 18, 2020: Delivered to Arizona PO box

June 23, 2020: Credit Card Debited

June 24, 2020: E notification for case (LIN-Receipt) 

July  15, 2020: Case was updated to show that fingerprints were taken

July 16, 2020 : Official NOA letter dated July 1 was received  

July 20, 2020 : Official fingerprint taken notice dated July 15 was received

March 05, 2021: Status updated to "Card in Production"

March 06, 2021: Status updated to I-751 Approved

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

@

rafaelcmrj

Frankly had i been in your position i wont take the risk. Had it been a green card through family/spouse like my case, it was not even a discussion, and you would have been in the clear.

Your fear is reasonable and i dont think is worth the risk. However, do discuss with the attorney directly, but as far as my experience goes, good attorneys are rare and might nudge you to file even if they think the probability is low.

Best of Luck !

ROC Timeline

June 15, 2020: Sent package through USPS

June 18, 2020: Delivered to Arizona PO box

June 23, 2020: Credit Card Debited

June 24, 2020: E notification for case (LIN-Receipt) 

July  15, 2020: Case was updated to show that fingerprints were taken

July 16, 2020 : Official NOA letter dated July 1 was received  

July 20, 2020 : Official fingerprint taken notice dated July 15 was received

March 05, 2021: Status updated to "Card in Production"

March 06, 2021: Status updated to I-751 Approved

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Russia
Timeline

Have you investigated the company offering to sponsor? I've worked with a few Indian H1b employees that were promised green cards by their contracting company.. Issue is they never deliver and have left several of them in limbo.

Just something to be extra careful about, but it sounds like are are the cautious type. Good luck!

2012-11-20: Married in USA!

CR-1 Visa (9 Months, 16 Days)
2013-01-21: I-130 Packet Sent
2013-01-29: NOA1
2013-03-25: NOA2
2013-07-08: NVC Case Number Generated
2013-08-21: Medical exam in Moscow
2013-09-17: Expedite request accepted by NVC. Packet forwarded to Moscow embassy.
2013-09-26: Embassy contacted Rita to schedule her interview. Scheduled for 2013-09-30!
2013-09-30: Interview in Moscow - APPROVED!!
2013-10-10: P.O.E. JFK Int'l
2013-11-06: CR-1 Green card in hand!

Removal of Conditions (10 Months, 28 Days)
2015-08-11: i-751 Packet Sent
2015-08-13: NOA Receipt
2015-09-10: Biometrics
2016-06-30: Online Status Changed: New Card Is Being Produced
2016-07-05: i-797 NOA Received
2016-07-09: IR-1 Green card in hand!

Naturalization (6 Months, 29 Days)

2016-10-19: N-400 Filing Date

2016-10-24: N-400 NOA

2016-11-15: Biometrics

2017-04-10: Interview Letter NOA Received

2017-05-18: Interview & Oath

Yes, attorneys will also say it's possible, just to take your money... I will think about it... thank you

It should be the employer that is hiring you to pay for all expenses including attorney fees.

If you have to pay them money, then something is not right.

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Guys, I got your points. They all make sense... the answer is: yes, I'm eligible but it's hard to achieve. So...

If you were in my situation... you have a sponsor, you have the experience to the job, but you don't have a degree and you are in a F1 (non-immigrant) visa.. what would you do?

Thanks a lot, you are awesome.

Well, that's hard to do as our circumstances (and risk tolerance) will never match yours. That said, I personally wouldn't as it could jeopardize my existing/future status and only has a low chance of success. And it takes a lot of time...almost everything with the USCIS takes time, but it's still a decent journey.

The biggest hurdle (from my understanding of your circumstances) is that the company has to demonstrate the need to sponsor you instead of trying to hire somebody else who is already a legal resident. Just as some examples, here are just a couple reasons that will NOT justify their need to sponsor you:

• He's already working for us.
  • We already trained him / we would have to retrain somebody else.
  • He's a great employee / he's the best we've ever had / he has a bright future with us.
  • We would have to pay somebody else with his skills more (This statement would be an immigration nightmare for both you and them IMHO).
  • And many more...

While certainly not a given, here's a brief example of somebody that might qualify:

Jane is an international business manager for ACME. She has close business ties between the company sponsoring her and companies in her home country that do business with ACME. She's been doing the work for several years. In her situation, the sponsor could try to claim that there is a need to hire her because finding similar candidates with that specific skill set (even without a degree) is not common in their area. Additionally, she has some unique attributes in that she has business ties that (in all likelihood) other candidates simply won't as they probably don't know her home country's businesses nearly as well.

Best of luck to you!

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

from what I know they will also need to verify if the position you are being offered is in the list of skilled/vocational categories. If granted ,you are, then the next thing is to show that you have the documents proving you are indeed licensed, or certified to work in that capacity.

Timeline

Nathan&Emily, sure... I'm a web developer... there are MANY different ways you can label a web developer such as Web Developer, Software Developer, Front-end Developer, etc... My main focus today is React Native and Ionic 2, so I don't think it's easy enough to find another one that uses React Native and/or Ionic 2 or 1 with 2yrs of experience in Ionic, for example.

Nathan&Emily, sure... I'm a web developer... there are MANY different ways you can label a web developer such as Web Developer, Software Developer, Front-end Developer, etc... My main focus today is React Native and Ionic 2, so I don't think it's easy enough to find another one that uses React Native and/or Ionic 2 or 1 with 2yrs of experience in Ionic, for example.

Cool. Good luck, man! It's a great field to get into.

That said, I'm a Solutions Architect and lead a team of developers with various language skill sets new and old, with a heavy focus on mobile app development. I teach mobile app development at a local university, too. I just think it would be hard for a company to justify needing to bring in an immigrant as a quick search shows there are people looking for positions with those skills or very similar skills. Even without that, React/Ionic are extensions of existing frameworks and languages with a far wider reach. The frameworks are designed to make use of an existing (fairly common) skill set and build upon it. Of course having somebody who has been working specifically in it for 2+ years is probably more skilled and productive than somebody who only works with HTML and JavaScript and/or native apps, but it would honestly be a bit of a tough sell to say that it's so far distinct from existing skill sets that they need to go outside of the existing eligible job pool to fill it.

Again...take it with a grain of salt. That's just my take on it, but I thought it would be helpful since I work in that field. Also, best of luck again! I do wish you the best.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

That helps a little. Certain experience and web design is subjective and you either have it or you don't. That said there are a lot of Americans who will be able to do that sorta job too. Whether they have your experience with the programming languages and skillset you have is another matter though.

event.png

Timeline

Yeah, I know there are a lot of good programmers in U.S, for sure, but this client already tried to hire someone in his area and he couldn't find anybody. Maybe Fort Worth (TX) area is not good enough for software development... (just thoughts)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.