22 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

How would we demonstrate adequate income if my wife is currently unemployed but I'm employed in Canada just across the border. I meet the minimum income requirements, and go to work every day in Canada from my wife's apartment. We're having a hard time finding a joint sponsor, and were wondering if this alone would be adequate. My wife is a USC and I'm a Canadian.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-864instr.pdf

From the I-864 Instructions.

What If I Cannot Meet the Income Requirements?

If your income alone is not sufficient to meet the requirement for your household size, the intending immigrant will be ineligible for an immigrant visa or adjustment of status, unless the requirement can be met using any combination of the following:

1. Income from any relatives or dependents living in your household or dependents listed on your most recent Federal income tax return who signed Form I-864A, Contract Between Sponsor and Household Member;

2. Income from the intending immigrant, if that income will continue from the same source after immigration, and if the intending immigrant is currently living in your residence. If the intending immigrant is your spouse, his or her income can be counted regardless of current residence, but it must continue from the same source after he or she becomes a lawful permanent resident;

3. The value of your assets, the assets of any household member who has signed Form I-864A, or the assets of the intending immigrant(s); or

4. A joint sponsor whose income and/or assets equal at least 125 percent of the Federal Poverty Guidelines. (See the What Is a Joint Sponsor section of these Instructions for more information.)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Problem will be is saying you are both immigrating to the US and will continue to commute, sounds contra logical.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Problem will be is saying you are both immigrating to the US and will continue to commute, sounds contra logical.

Not if you live in a border town. Very common in border towns for people to live on one side and work on the other.

Timeline

Hopefully the person adjudicating the I 864 lives in a border town.

Assuming the plan is to continue this arrangement does raise many other questions.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline

Hopefully the person adjudicating the I 864 lives in a border town.

Assuming the plan is to continue this arrangement does raise many other questions.

Why? As long as the immigrant resides in the US...

Only trips over 24 hours count for being away, right? So going to work shouldn't count as being out of the country for purposes of physical presence & continuous residence or am I missing something?

Edited by EM_Vandaveer

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

Timeline

A person is considered to be in the US for the day if they spend one second here during the day. Any part of the day spent in the US is considered a day in the US.

You can leave the US at 12:01 AM on Monday and come back at 11:59 PM on Tuesday, and you would be considered to have been in the US on those two days.

Timeline

Just a few elements to consider there are many more, OCare for example.

Timeline

He would have to buy it, or piggyback on spouses plan.

Not sure how Canada deal with this other than it is a tax but say he is spending 5 days a week in Canada he would also be paying there, which would be annoying.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline

He would have to buy it, or piggyback on spouses plan.

Not sure how Canada deal with this other than it is a tax but say he is spending 5 days a week in Canada he would also be paying there, which would be annoying.

Tax treaty, FEIE? In short he shouldn't be paying taxes on the same income twice. If he pays taxes in Canada on it, sure he still has to declare it on US taxes, but not actually pay (unless it's a huge amount of money).

Residing in the US, he can't get provincial healthcare in Canada, anyway.

So yes, he either needs health insurance in the US or pay the tax penalty.

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

Filed: Timeline

How did a question about adequate income for the I-864 get to this? OP did not ask about healthcare or taxes.

Once OP no longer resides in Canada, he no longer qualify for Canadian healthcare. US law requires LPR to have insurance, so he will have to get it in the US.

No FEIE since he will living in the US. OP pays his taxes in Canada and files a Canadian tax return on his earnings there. He reports his Canadian income and taxes on this US tax return. He gets a foreign income tax credit for his Canadian taxes which reduces his US tax liabilities. He only pays the difference if US taxes would be higher. This is not DIY. This should be done by a professional versed in cross border issues.

Timeline

Somebody working full time in Canada, likely they will be deemed resident in Canada,

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.