Lilbitofhelp

Claim to be USC by mistake and rectified immediately

6 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

This is my first ever post and hopefully I'll get some help from the members.

I submitted my N400 in November and have already done my biometrics. Couple days ago I remembered that I opened a retirement account with fidelity last year (in october) and mistakenly put us citizen. I say mistakenly because there were two questions right after one another, one asking about citizenship and one asking about what country do I file taxes. I don't remember that I ever put USC, so I'm guessing US is the default option (it is a drop down menu) for citizenship and I never realized that I didn't change it or some error. Anyway after submitting the application I realized my mistake and immediately (same day) changed it to the original citizenship. I've already chatted (so I can have the conversation in writing) with a representative and she confirmed that there is a note on the account that says that the nationality was changed on the same day. FYI, anybody from any country living legally in the US can open the account as long as you pay taxes here, so it is not just a benefit for US citizens. Will that be a problem when I disclose this info during the inerview?

Filed: Country:
Timeline

This is not a problem, and I would not disclose it.

knowingly hiding a claim of us citizenship. bad idea.

just explain exactly what happened with proof it was corrected. explain you were rushed checked the wrong box and when you found out you immediately contacted them to change it.

good luck

Thanks for the replies. But should I wait until they ask me about it and let them know or I should be proactive and mention it at the beginning of the interview?

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Ireland
Timeline

It really isn't an issue but it is wise of you to cover your bases like this. I believe the true intent of asking that question is to ensure you didn't register to vote, attempt to get a passport, attempt to enter the country and claim to be a USC etc.

When buying a home here, first and second time they always default the paperwork to USC which I know is what they do but I demanded they change it. I didn't let them cross it out and initial it I had them reprint it which stalled things and made everyone act as if I was being unreasonable until it was explained to them what that simple check box means if found at a later date and dragged up. I can without a doubt understand your being cautious.

Filed N400 11/7/16

Check (CC) Cashed 11/10/16

Text/Email NOA 11/16/16

UPDATE: I spoke with a representative again trying to get an official letter that I can use at the interview. They said they can't do that because that account is closed. I closed the account in June because it was losing money (market not doing well) and I plan on buying (investing) in a duplex or triplex multifamily next year so I didn't want to lose money. They mentioned that the citizenship was never changed to the contrary what the other representative said (there'should a note showing that I changed my citizenship). I opened a new account last week with the my real citizenship (made sure there'should no mistakes) and it took me a couple of minutes to open it with no problem just to show that it was an honest mistake and I didn't claim to be a USC the first time for any benefits or purpose whatsoever. Any advice on the best course of action at the interview?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.