Imran555555

My wife is pregnant and she wants to bring her sisters from Pakistan here.

45 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Austria
Timeline

I love how everybody says that "helping with the baby" is considered work.. I guess I need to start asking for money every time I do something nice about my brother/sister etc..

Imagine your family comes over and they are not allowed to freaken touch the baby or change its diaper cause its considered work.. that just sounds crazy to me. It's like going over to your sister for dinner and helping with the dishes.. its not work.. work is doing something for profit..

from what i've seen on lawyer websites etc "volunteering" is allowed on a tourist visa.. I would consider this volunteering and not "work" ..

helping without profit = volunteering = not work on a tourist visa = legal.

SPOT ON ........ I would have loved to have my mother-in-law OUT OF THE HOUSE but she "visited"

Define helping ..... new baby = attention, excuses to travel when they never did before because it was too expensive, stay over for weeks when life strangely back home was not "as important" .......

Lovely lady ,,,,,, 4 weeks and others for 1 day to 3 weeks at the same time ...

Second child ..... cut that by 50% and back to "oooh maybe next year as it is expensive to fly now" ......

Third child ---- ghost town I hope

Why are people on here so PC?

I'm pregnant and I want my sisters here to help.....................really?? come on people open your eyes/ears!

Often controversial topic.

Obviously US citizens have way more rights than foreigners in this situation. A USC grandmother living in the same city as the grandchild would not need immigration status to see the child. Therefore, no restrictions. Unfortunately, for foreigners they have to go through the motions. Immigration is a HUGE sacrifice one way or another. And this is another example.

We all know it sucks. A babysitting teenage USC girl who is more interested in updating her Instagram has better access and more rights than the child's blood foreign relatives who has no legal status in the US. Until that changes, helping with a child in situations like the OP where foreigners are involved will remain an issue.

P.S. I have seen case on VJ where the father of a child in another country could not see his child because he could not get any visa to the US.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Why are people on here so PC?

I'm pregnant and I want my sisters here to help.....................really?? come on people open your eyes/ears!

Open them to What?

Since I actually am familiar with Paki culture, I would guess that the pregnant wife is actually a SAHM, and would not regularly hire help in any case to help with childcare

It is quite normal for sisters/mom within Pakistan to come help when a new baby is born, cooking food, cleaning the house, and possibly even changing the baby

OP Your sister in laws need to apply for and be granted the B2 on their own merits. It is not easy to get, but if they have families of their own that will help a lot. Be prepared that this is the only visa available to them at this time and there is a strong chance of denial.

Spoiler

Married December 19, 2014

I-130 Petition sent January 14, 2015
NOA1 date January 20, 2015 (NSC)

NOA2 date May 28, 2015 :dance::dance::dance:

Mailed to NVC June 4, 2015

NVC Received June 10, 2015

NVC Case Number Assigned June 23, 2015

NVC AoS Invoice via Mail June 24, 2015

NVC Selected Agent Over Phone June 30, 2015 (Unable to logon to CEAC)

NVC IV Invoice via email received July 1, 2015

NVC AoS/IV Package Mailed July 2, 2015

NVC AoS & IV Fee Paid Online (CEAC is working) July 6. 2015

NVC Document Scan Date July 6, 2015

NCV AoS & IV Fee marked as paid in CEAC July, 7 2015

NVC DS 260 Completed July 8, 2015

NVC CC July 30, 2015 (24 days after scan date, about 2 months post NOA2)

Interview Scheduled on August 26, 2015

Interview P4 Email Received August 27, 2015

Medical in Islamabad September 2, 2015

Interview Date September 22, 2015 CANCELLED (Embassy is Over scheduled) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Interview Scheduled on September 10, 2015

Interview Date October 14, 2015 APPROVED

Visa Issued October 16, 2015, 9 months start to finish

POE JFK October 26, 2015

GC in Hand Jan 8, 2016

RoC I-751 NOA1 August 31, 2017 (Vermont Service Center)

Biometrics October 2, 2017

I551 Stamp in Passport August 2, 2018

18 Month Extension Letter August 3, 2018

Applied for Naturalization N-400 Online July 30, 2018

Biometrics August 23, 2018

10 year GC is in production September 17, 2018

I love how questions like this, almost exactly like this, pops up like once a week. Search option maybe?

No, you can't bring your family member to work as your "babysitter". This is a regular occupation that can be done by the USC and for which someone should be paid.

No, you can't sponsor anyone on the tourist visa. They need to apply on their own.

Was this first part of your post really necessary?

Naturalization Journey (Based on 5 years as a PR):

November 21st 2016 - Sent N-400 to Dallas Lockbox.

November 30th - Check Cashed.

December 1st - Email/Text Notifications.

December 8th - Hardcopy of NOA received (Priority Date 11/25).

December 9th - Biometrics Appointment Letter received.

December 19th - Biometrics Appointment.

January 4th 2017 - "In Line" for Interview.

June 9th - Online status changed to "Interview was Scheduled".

June 12th - Interview Letter received.

July 19th - Interview (NYC). Requested a "delayed Oath" for after September 4th 2017.

September 11th - Oath Letter received. Honored my request for a delayed Oath Ceremony. 

September 14th - Oath Ceremony.

You guys can be unreasonably cruel sometimes when people simply ask questions and you've been here long enough to know the answer. To the OP, as several have suggested, your wife's sister's best option is to apply for a visitor visa and provide proof that she will return to Pakistan. "Helping out" with a baby by US Immigration policy would and could technically be considered "working " which would be cause for denial in most if not all cases. While I'm not telling you to break the law, read the boards and search the official government website for acceptable reasons to get a B2 visa. Good luck with your situation. I think your question has been answered several times now.

Completely agree - some of the answers aggravated me. This site has always been a judgment free zone.

Edited by EV11

Naturalization Journey (Based on 5 years as a PR):

November 21st 2016 - Sent N-400 to Dallas Lockbox.

November 30th - Check Cashed.

December 1st - Email/Text Notifications.

December 8th - Hardcopy of NOA received (Priority Date 11/25).

December 9th - Biometrics Appointment Letter received.

December 19th - Biometrics Appointment.

January 4th 2017 - "In Line" for Interview.

June 9th - Online status changed to "Interview was Scheduled".

June 12th - Interview Letter received.

July 19th - Interview (NYC). Requested a "delayed Oath" for after September 4th 2017.

September 11th - Oath Letter received. Honored my request for a delayed Oath Ceremony. 

September 14th - Oath Ceremony.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Completely agree - some of the answers aggravated me. This site has always been a judgment free zone.

VJ = visa judgement. Always has.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Female Family members helping out with a new baby is not a cultural phenomenon. It happens all of the time. I think they have to apply for a visitor's visa and when asked for the reason of their visit they can say their sister just had a baby and they want to visit. The rest will probably be understood. Its not dishonest its just sometimes its better not to give more info than is necessary.

Pkg Sent:9/13/16

Received at Chicago Lock box: 9/16/16

Received Texts: 9/30/16

NOA1 Received: 10/4/16 : Receipt Date of 9/19/16

Bio Appt letter Received: 10/12/16

Bio Appt completed: 10/24/16

Card in production: 11/17/16

Combo Card received 11/25/16

immi help com/visitor-visa/daughter-in-law-sister-pregnancy-help.html

There you go!

( Ps. No one is a saint. Admit it or not, we are all judgmental. :P

What bothers me sometimes on VJ is that people will give OPs unnecessary hope when clearly they have no way to enter USA/get that particular visa/something. Why? No is no. Law is law. This is not only directed towards this topic, but many others where forum users are somehow afraid to say "No, you cannot do that." )

If OP wish he can tell sisters to tell the immigration officer that they come to take care of the baby and the new mom, if asked. And we will see how that will go. If they will be granted entry, that's great.

Edited by Roel

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Was this first part of your post really necessary?

I think it has more to do with VJ member status. I have seen "Gold" members and above ask about processing times and their "friends" are very courteous and helpful. I refer to it as statusism lol.

I think it has more to do with how you feel about member statuses for you to ask this. EVERYTHING discussed on VJ can be searched yet some ppl get frustrated when its a newbie member. I notice when its a "GOLD" member asking about processing times ppl are so helpful and friendly but when the member is new or less active then people get frustrated.

Pkg Sent:9/13/16

Received at Chicago Lock box: 9/16/16

Received Texts: 9/30/16

NOA1 Received: 10/4/16 : Receipt Date of 9/19/16

Bio Appt letter Received: 10/12/16

Bio Appt completed: 10/24/16

Card in production: 11/17/16

Combo Card received 11/25/16

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~~~Closed for review~~~

***Since posters have taken to arguing with one another, this thread will remain closed to additional discussion as the OP has been provided with enough answers to their query.***

Edited by Ryan H

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.