Imran555555

My wife is pregnant and she wants to bring her sisters from Pakistan here.

45 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I love how everybody says that "helping with the baby" is considered work.. I guess I need to start asking for money every time I do something nice about my brother/sister etc..

Imagine your family comes over and they are not allowed to freaken touch the baby or change its diaper cause its considered work.. that just sounds crazy to me. It's like going over to your sister for dinner and helping with the dishes.. its not work.. work is doing something for profit..

from what i've seen on lawyer websites etc "volunteering" is allowed on a tourist visa.. I would consider this volunteering and not "work" ..

helping without profit = volunteering = not work on a tourist visa = legal.

Amusing but wrong.

Once she is a US Citizen she can sponsor her sister to immigrate.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

I love how everybody says that "helping with the baby" is considered work.. I guess I need to start asking for money every time I do something nice about my brother/sister etc..

Imagine your family comes over and they are not allowed to freaken touch the baby or change its diaper cause its considered work.. that just sounds crazy to me. It's like going over to your sister for dinner and helping with the dishes.. its not work.. work is doing something for profit..

from what i've seen on lawyer websites etc "volunteering" is allowed on a tourist visa.. I would consider this volunteering and not "work" ..

Doing the work a babysitter or nanny would do is not the same thing as helping out sometimes.

Maybe those family members should honestly declare to the CBP officer that they are coming over to help out with new born when ask for the purpose of the trip.

Roll the dice to see if they will be let in or not.

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

Maybe those family members should honestly declare to the CBP officer that they are coming over to help out with new born when ask for the purpose of the trip.

Roll the dice to see if they will be let in or not.

:rofl::rofl:

ROC Timeline

June 15, 2020: Sent package through USPS

June 18, 2020: Delivered to Arizona PO box

June 23, 2020: Credit Card Debited

June 24, 2020: E notification for case (LIN-Receipt) 

July  15, 2020: Case was updated to show that fingerprints were taken

July 16, 2020 : Official NOA letter dated July 1 was received  

July 20, 2020 : Official fingerprint taken notice dated July 15 was received

March 05, 2021: Status updated to "Card in Production"

March 06, 2021: Status updated to I-751 Approved

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

You guys can be unreasonably cruel sometimes when people simply ask questions and you've been here long enough to know the answer. To the OP, as several have suggested, your wife's sister's best option is to apply for a visitor visa and provide proof that she will return to Pakistan. "Helping out" with a baby by US Immigration policy would and could technically be considered "working " which would be cause for denial in most if not all cases. While I'm not telling you to break the law, read the boards and search the official government website for acceptable reasons to get a B2 visa. Good luck with your situation. I think your question has been answered several times now.

I second that, even better, call the USCIS (as an anonymous caller if you don't want to give them any details) and just ask what would be the best case scenario to bring them over.. You can just say we want to help my wife's sister to come over and see the baby and help my wife a little bit with the baby, what do we need to do and what kind of visa will she need?

That way you will probably get the best reply as to whether its possible and what kind of visa will she need :)

AOS Journey:

9/19/2014: AOS Package (i130, i485, i765 and i131) sent to Chicago lockbox using USPS Certified mail

12/3/2014: EAD and Advanced Parole in Production :dancing:

12/12/2014: EAD/AP Card received

1/23/2015: Interview is Scheduled for February 27!

1/28/2015: Interview Letter Received

3/10/2015: Greencard Received

12/3/2016: Filed i751 at California Service Center

12/4/2016: Filed N400 - Dallas TX

2/18/2018: i751 Case transferred to Local Office

2/26/2018: i751 Case received at Local Office

1/5/2018: i751 Case Transferred And New Office Has Jurisdiction

3/5/2018: Another update saying i751 Case Transferred And New Office Has Jurisdiction

5/7/2018: Received Letter stating i751 Case transferred to National Benefits Center, Lee's Summit, MO 64064

5/30/2018: Interview scheduled for N400

7/11/2018: Attended interview and was informed it will be a combo N400/I751 interview

8/6/2018: N400 Approved

8/7/2018: I751 Approved

9/5/2018: Oath Ceremony missed due to travel abroad and letter sent to USCIS to reschedule ceremony

10/2/2018: Officially a US Citizen! 

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

if your mother-in-law is there, I believe she will have a better chance of coming to visit than your sister-in-law.

Regardless, your sister-in-law will apply for tourist visa.. her purpose is to visit her pregnant sister period.

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

The definition of "volunteering" for those without work authorisation (e.g. tourists and K-1s, for example) is work that a person would not normally expect to be paid for. Helping care for abandoned animals in a shelter, volunteering in a community kitchen or food bank to help those less fortunate, that kind of thing. The type of work that people do purely altruistically and not for financial reward. Babysitters and day care workers do the job to be paid. It doesn't matter if the sisters will be paid or not, it's the type of work that determines whether it falls under the rules of volunteering. We didn't make the rules. We just have to follow them.

Changing a diaper here and there, taking the baby for a walk, playing with the baby, giving the baby a bottle once in a while is not work. But caring for the baby on a regular basis and/or for an extended period to enable the mother to do something else away from the home (go to work, go shopping, go to a gym) is considered work.

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Isn't there some sort of visa for au pairs? That may be something the OP could look into as well

Yes, there is a au pair type of visa - J1 visa.

But OP has to pay the prevailing wage, health insurance.. etc which is not the 'free help' he or his wife looking for.

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Isn't there some sort of visa for au pairs? That may be something the OP could look into as well

J-1 visa but the placement has to go through a recognised agency.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

I second that, even better, call the USCIS (as an anonymous caller if you don't want to give them any details) and just ask what would be the best case scenario to bring them over.. You can just say we want to help my wife's sister to come over and see the baby and help my wife a little bit with the baby, what do we need to do and what kind of visa will she need?

That way you will probably get the best reply as to whether its possible and what kind of visa will she need :)

Dont you understand that right now, until the wife is still PR, there is NOTHING they can do to bring them over? Like, absolutely nothing? Once she is a citizen she can go on about sponsoring them.

If they want to come to visit - and just visit - they need to apply for the tourist visa on their OWN.

This is something I really don't like about the VJ. People always try to coat everything in sugar and tell people only the good news when obviously some things, sometimes, are not that pretty and different OPs need to hear the harsh truth. But nooo, some forum users have to be so politically correct! lol.

OP, you got your answer. Tourist visa or nothing. And they can't babysit.

K1

29.11.2013 - NoA1

06.02.2014 - NoA2

01.04.2014 - Interview. 

AoS

03.2015 - AoS started.

09.2015 - Green Card received.  

RoC

24.07.2017 - NoA1.

01.08.2018 - RoC approved. 

Filed: Timeline

It's cruel to suggest to people that they can use a visitor visa to come and help with a baby.

For those who think "volunteering" means "help without profit," then I highly suggest using Google to search "USCIS volunteering visitor visa." The law disagrees with your definition because visitor visa holders are not permitted to do any work that is normally paid. People usually pay for child care, and it seems that is the OP's intent in bringing over the sister-in-law. It's not permitted for her to "volunteer" to care for the baby on a visitor visa.

Then use Google to search "visitor visa pregnancy help daughter/sister."

Instead of making stuff up, try to do a little bit of research before posting your opinions as facts.

Edited by Jojo92122

Filed: IR-5 Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Apply as a Tourist B1/B2, make sure to send her Estimated Date of Delivery letter signed by your doctor. FYI: Its much easier to get one's mother in law.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Cyprus
Timeline

Dont you understand that right now, until the wife is still PR, there is NOTHING they can do to bring them over? Like, absolutely nothing? Once she is a citizen she can go on about sponsoring them.

If they want to come to visit - and just visit - they need to apply for the tourist visa on their OWN.

This is something I really don't like about the VJ. People always try to coat everything in sugar and tell people only the good news when obviously some things, sometimes, are not that pretty and different OPs need to hear the harsh truth. But nooo, some forum users have to be so politically correct! lol.

OP, you got your answer. Tourist visa or nothing. And they can't babysit.

Umm who said anything about sponsoring ??????

I simply said, call USCIS and ask them what kind of visa they should be apply for, be it B1, B2 or w/e else. Just to get an opinion from USCIS about how to move forward. I never said anything about sponsorship etc. And yes they would do it on their own, this doesn't stop the people in the US from trying to help them by providing the best information.

AOS Journey:

9/19/2014: AOS Package (i130, i485, i765 and i131) sent to Chicago lockbox using USPS Certified mail

12/3/2014: EAD and Advanced Parole in Production :dancing:

12/12/2014: EAD/AP Card received

1/23/2015: Interview is Scheduled for February 27!

1/28/2015: Interview Letter Received

3/10/2015: Greencard Received

12/3/2016: Filed i751 at California Service Center

12/4/2016: Filed N400 - Dallas TX

2/18/2018: i751 Case transferred to Local Office

2/26/2018: i751 Case received at Local Office

1/5/2018: i751 Case Transferred And New Office Has Jurisdiction

3/5/2018: Another update saying i751 Case Transferred And New Office Has Jurisdiction

5/7/2018: Received Letter stating i751 Case transferred to National Benefits Center, Lee's Summit, MO 64064

5/30/2018: Interview scheduled for N400

7/11/2018: Attended interview and was informed it will be a combo N400/I751 interview

8/6/2018: N400 Approved

8/7/2018: I751 Approved

9/5/2018: Oath Ceremony missed due to travel abroad and letter sent to USCIS to reschedule ceremony

10/2/2018: Officially a US Citizen! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.