Jump to content

Entering on K1 tomorrow - SSN before wedding?

8 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Tomorrow I leave Australia and head to the U.S.

I've been reading about applying for my SSN. My fiance and I are flying into Portland, OR to get married with his family around, and then fly back to Indiana at the end of the year. We were going to apply for my SSN when we got back to Indiana.

But now I'm reading that I should apply for my SSN beforehand due to issues with name changes (i am the female).

We are getting married in about a week, just before Christmas. So obviously there isn't much time.

Would it be ok to apply for my SSN whilst in Oregon, during the week before we get married, then do the name change on the SSN when we get back to Indiana?

I'm seeing a LOT of conflicting information - some say it's more difficult to do after marriage, some people say they had no issue. I can't filter posts i search for by newest so these were all over a period of time and even the newest I could find still had conflicting posts where some people said they did theirs after with no issue and vice versa as well as people applying beforehand only.

Edited by Stelare

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also check with the state. Some states do require you to have a social security number to apply for a marriage license (not every state does). I read on this forum once that is recommended that you go in and apply for your SS number about 2 weeks after entering the US to allow the paperwork to arrive at the SS office. But if you don't need your ss# for a marriage license then I don't think it would have to be rushed?

Edited by AshMarty

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

As far as I know you can go get a SSN immediately after POE. It is just recommended to wait the two weeks so that you will be in their system when you go apply for it. If you go to the office before you are in their system it just takes longer to receive your SSN because there is a longer procedure involved.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Usually, it is advisable to apply soon after you arrive in the name on your foreign passport which should be the name shown on the I94 entry record. Many states require an SSC for driver license applications, and many banks require it for opening accounts which is something you would want to do as your AOS is processing. I know with Katya and I, she applied for her SSC about a week after arrival and got her card in less than two weeks. She also changed her name after marriage, so we changed the SSC after she received her GC (although we could have done it with her EAD). You can apply for the SSC for the entire period of the I94 less two weeks prior to expiration (i.e. 90 days minus 14 days after POE), so if your return to Indiana is still within this window (which is seems based on your narrative) you can wait upon your return to apply for that card.

Good Luck!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.