FOSSLGRL

Question about I-864 affidavit of support - sponsor

5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I am wondering if it's at all possible to use another US citizen who isn't my husband as my sole sponsor.

I am trying to avoid providing my husbands financial details if possible.

Thank you.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Your husband should be your main sponsor. That other US citizen can only be a co-sponsor if your husband's income does not meet the requirement. :)

Adjustment Of Status Timeline:

09.01.2016 --- Received by USCIS

09.12.2016 --- NOA 1 Text Notification

09.17.2016 --- NOA 1 Letter Received

09.21.2016 --- Biometrics Letter Received

10.05.2016 --- Biometrics Appointment

11.05.2016 --- EAD/AP Approved

11.18.2016 --- Combo Card Delivered

11.25.2016 --- Green Card/I-485 Approved (No interview)

12.02.2016 --- Received NOA2 for I-485

12.02.2016 --- GC received

I-90 Timeline (USCIS Error: 10 Year GC given instead of 2 Years)

12.05.2016 --- I-90 Packet Sent to Phoenix

12.08.2016 --- I-90 Packet Received by USCIS

12.20.2016 --- NOA 1 Text & Email Notification

12.24.2016 --- NOA 1 Mail Received

01.03.2017 --- SSN (Without Restriction) Received

01.04.2017 --- I-551 Stamp Received (Valid for 1 Year)

01.14.2017 --- NOA1 for ELIS online account activation

01.20.2017 --- Biometrics Letter Received

02.01.2017 --- Biometrics Schedule

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Regardless, if your spouse is your petitioner, he will have to submit all of his financial documents. You can have joint sponsors, but the "sole" sponsor can only be your husband because of the nature of the visa. In your situation, there really is no way out of him providing his financial information.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi,

Not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I am wondering if it's at all possible to use another US citizen who isn't my husband as my sole sponsor.

I am trying to avoid providing my husbands financial details if possible.

Thank you.

No, not possible.

I-864 instructions, page 10 >

Who Completes and Signs Form I-864?

A sponsor completes and signs Form I-864. A sponsor is required to be at least 18 years of age and domiciled in

the United States, or its territories or possessions (See Part 4. Information About You (Sponsor) section of these

Instructions for more information on domicile). The petitioning sponsor must sign and complete Form I-864, even if a

joint sponsor also submits an I-864 to meet the income requirement. The list below identifies who must become sponsors by completing and signing a Form I-864, when it is required.

1. The U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident, or U.S. national who filed Form I-129F, Petition for Alien Fiancé(e), for a fiancé(e); Form I-130, Petition for Alien Relative, for a family member; Form I-600, Petition to Classify Orphan as an

Immediate Relative, for an orphan; or Form I-800, Petition to Classify Convention Adoptee as an Immediate Relative,

for a Convention adoptee.

2. The U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident, or U.S. national who filed Form I-140, Immigrant Petition for Alien

Worker, for a spouse, parent, son, daughter, or sibling who:

A. Has a significant ownership interest (five percent or more) in the business which filed the employment-based

immigrant visa petition; or

B. Is related to the intending immigrant as a spouse, parent, son, daughter, or sibling.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.