InquiringMinds

Ready to File AOS. Please help!

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Bahamas
Timeline

I have posted on here previously and have gotten great assistance and am hoping for the same seeing that my husband and I are finally now ready to file.

This will be lengthy as it contains as much details as possible...

A little about our history, my sister and brother in law live in Las Vegas, when I first visited them my brother in law introduced me to his friend who he thought was a good fit for me. We hit it off immediately and have had a great relationship thus far despite the distance. He lives in California but he was born in and his parents live in Las Vegas so he drives and spends time there very often so whenever I'd visit my family here which would be for months at a time never overstaying of course, he would drive down and we would drive back to California together.

The first time I visited, I stayed for three months and we spent almost every weekend together, that has been almost two years ago and I have continued to travel on my tourist visa(valid for 6 months) for months at a time to Las Vegas where he would drive and come and get me and I'd stay with him in California. It is cheaper to fly to Las Vegas and then drive to California.

I travelled to Las Vegas almost 6 months ago and and my visa will expire the last week in December. In November we spent a few days in Vegas visiting his parents and he proposed. We wanted to get married and file concurrently immediately but a hurricane back home destroyed everything and we sent a large chunk of money back home to my parents and it completely put a halt on everything. We have since had a beautiful small ceremony at a local wedding chapel.

My husband was able to get an advance from work so we will be filing the forms within the next two weeks possibly by the 20th of December and my visa will expire a week later, I know this sounds suspicious but this was not how we intended it to play out.

Concerns-

1. My husband is deaf, so is my sister and brother in law and I have been fluent in American Sign Language since I was a child and have been heavily invested in the deaf community and deaf culture for longer than I can remember. Will this be an eye opener for immigration? I don't see how as there is no communication barrier between us at all.

2. In regards to the medical exam, we will be in Las Vegas for a week visiting his parents and have called medical offices in California for prices but found a medical office in Vegas that does the same service cheaper, we figure we can kill two birds with one stone and do the medical in Vegas. Will this be an eye opener for immigration seeing my husband lives in California?

3. We intend on using my passport stamps and travel itineraries as bonafide evidence but they all show my arrival in Las Vegas as opposed to California as it is cheaper for me to fly there and drive to California? Will this be an eye opener? Should I make a note of this on the itinerary copies?

4. We have tons of photos together, we were able to get my name added to his bank account as a joint account with my passport. We tried to get my name added to his lease but seeing that his lease expires soon the leasing office said it made no sense. We intend on getting an apartment with both of our names after his lease expires. Will that be an issue?

5. If I file literally a week before my tourist visa expires will this be an issue for immigration, will I be out of status if I don't receive notification of receipt before my visa expires? Our marriage is based on genuine love so I am not worried about that but based on the evidence that I do have, which is a joint bank account, countless photos, several travel itineraries to Las Vegas and we will try to get my name added on a few of utility bills. Will this suffice? What else can we get that is doable seeing that we are newly married and I am a tourist.

I'm sorry for this lengthy post but of course we want to cross all of our T's and dot all of our I's seeing that we are doing everything on our own.

Any and all help will be appreciated. Thank you!

Edited by InquiringMinds

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

1) Not an issue

2) Not an issue

3) Not an issue (good idea to give an explanation)

4) Could you get some utility bills in your name? Are you on his insurance? Work on co-mingling while waiting for the AOS interview - you'll be fine.

5) Yes, you will be out of status. However, that will not be a problem. It is pardoned for spouses of USC's filing for AOS.

Good luck!

(friendly tip: google the meaning of "eye opener")

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Bahamas
Timeline

1) Not an issue

2) Not an issue

3) Not an issue (good idea to give an explanation)

4) Could you get some utility bills in your name? Are you on his insurance? Work on co-mingling while waiting for the AOS interview - you'll be fine.

5) Yes, you will be out of status. However, that will not be a problem. It is pardoned for spouses of USC's filing for AOS.

Good luck!

(friendly tip: google the meaning of "eye opener")

Omg I can breathe again... thank you my friend. We should be able to get some utility bills modified to add my name. Hopefully that works. LOL google defines eye opener as an event or situation that proves to be unexpectedly enlightening... *hangs head in shame* I meant red flag.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.