Michael2017

Health Insurance in US

47 posts in this topic

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi,

My wife won a green card via the lottery in 2014. She filed for a re-entry permit and that was valid till recently.

She has full social and health insurance back in Europe. However, we read that there are penalties for not having health insurance in the USA if you are a green card holder. Are there any income limits, presence requirements, and type of health insurance, e.g. there are some for just 50$ a month that are basically only emergency insurances.

We are not sure if she needs to get an insurance in the USA to comply with the law? Who would do the penalty punishment if she has no insurance?

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

Is she living in the US or Europe?

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

Timeline

We are spending about half of the time in Europe and half in the USA until my GC is approved.

We dont like to spend time apart from each other. She has all insurances in Europe, but

what about the US part? We always make a travel insurance when going to USA,

but will we get a penalty not being part of obamacare or other health insurances?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

She is a green card holder therefore she will be required to file US taxes. If she cannot provide proof of insurance coverage in the US which meets the requirements of the ACA she will have to pay a penalty. Travel insurance will not meet these requirements.

Timeline

She has filed taxes since she has the Green Card, but as student her income was low.

Is there a minimum income after which you need to have health insurance? Why no one gave her a penalty by now?

No one ever asked her for insurance. How much is the penalty?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

How did she answer the question about having health insurance? I know for us we had to provide information about the coverage. It is 2.5% of your income or $695 whichever is less. This is for the 2016 filing year.

Timeline

She never owned taxes as her money was all foreign earned and there is an exemption of foreign earned income.

Maybe this is the reason why there was never a problem as her income was always from Europe and she was never a tax payer in USA, although of course, she had to file taxes as a GC holder, taxes were always 0. Thanks for your info!

I dont think shes doing her taxes properly.... regardless if her money is foreign earned or not, this question would come up for a US resident.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

If youve never noticed this question... well... I have doing my taxes the last 3 years and I dont underatand why you've missed it.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

Can you please show me where this question is on 1040 form? Anyhow, no one ever asked in IRS etc. so not sure it really matters to them, or they would send us a letter. She is paying insurances in Europe, maybe there are double insurance contracts, same as double taxation contracts.

Timeline

1040 line 61 we put there 0 for all the years in all tax returns.

She was always insured in Europe, maybe there is a treaty about this as it would make no sense to

have 2 x insurances paid, same as it is impossible to pay 2 x taxes between EU and USA.

But for 2017, we need to look for insurances for her. Is IN SU BUY http://www.***removed***.com/

A good place or where should we look for them? Thanks for help.

Edited by Michael2017

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.