QueenOfBlades

Worried about marital issues

29 posts in this topic

Hi guys.

Please know I'm not looking for relationship advice in this thread, strictly immigration advice. My husband tells me I worry way too much and he doesn't understand what I'm worried about, but I have bad anxiety and I worry so much that the slightest thing could go wrong. I have throughout the whole process.

My husband and I aren't sure where our future may lead right now. We were best friends for many years before we started dating - I went through a lot of trauma and sexual assault with an abusive ex-partner, my husband flew up from the US as I was close to suicide and made me see a doctor. I owe him my life and he stayed with me for months, and we sparked up a passionate romance in that time. Initially I wanted him to move to the UK, but the rules were so complicated and his mum offered to help me move there so we could be together. It seemed the easiest way for us to start a life together back then. Our relationship and marriage was and always has been completely legitimate. My husband is autistic, he finds it hard to work and he acts very child-like sometimes. I love him as a husband, but also as family, like a brother, best friend and son. He enjoys the care and nurturing I can provide for him.

Anyway - we aren't sure where our marriage is headed right now. There have been a lot of strains on it including his mother being depressed and taking it out on us, him not working and financial difficulty, etc. I've found it difficult to adjust in SC and I'm not happy here. We both intend to move to the west coast next year with a woman we are both close to/consensually and know about in a polyamorous arrangement. She is very kind and good to us both and we both love her like family.

We've discussed divorce but we are simply not sure what is going to happen. We still love each other very much and care for each other deeply. Our assets are all still very much co-mingled. We still want to be in each other's lives. The move could do us the world of good and it might change things. We still want a life together, we just aren't sure what that looks like right now.

All things considered, I'm terrified of getting an ROC interview. If I did get called in, I'm not sure what this would look like to the interviewer. I am not ready to file for divorce, and even if I were, the state of SC requires you to live apart for a year which we cannot and will not do. That's not what we want. I don't know whether I should send a letter in to USCIS letting them know my marital situation is rocky at the moment. I don't know what the right thing to do is. I love my family and want them both in my life, just my husband and I are currently evaluating how we want our relationship to look in the future and whether we want to remain husband and wife, or something else. We are very amicable and we filed the ROC petition jointly. We still have our assets co-mingled and continue to build assets/finances together because I know I want him in my life regardless.

USCIS has always stressed me out beyond belief and now that I feel like my case isn't an open and shut one if I get an interview, it's giving me panic attacks.

AOS posted - 02/18/2014

NOA1 - 03/04/2014
Biometrics - 03/28/2014
EAD in post - 5/5/2014

EAD in hand - 5/10/2014
Interview waiver letter received - 6/9/2014

Card production notice - 1/10/2015

ROC mailed - 10/11/2016

ROC received at CSC - 10/18/2016

Interview Notice Received - 3/30/2017

Also my husband's attitude is - "I don't know what you're worried about. We entered it in good faith, we aren't divorced, we've no idea if we will divorce, having marriage issues isn't grounds to deny it. We are legit so why are you worried?"

Meanwhile I'm taking anxiety pills to calm myself down.

AOS posted - 02/18/2014

NOA1 - 03/04/2014
Biometrics - 03/28/2014
EAD in post - 5/5/2014

EAD in hand - 5/10/2014

ROC mailed - 10/11/2016

Filed: Timeline

Also my husband's attitude is - "I don't know what you're worried about. We entered it in good faith, we aren't divorced, we've no idea if we will divorce, having marriage issues isn't grounds to deny it. We are legit so why are you worried?"

can I send you a message?

Sure, anyone is free to PM me.

(For the record - the anxiety meds are my prescription, nothing dodgy.)

AOS posted - 02/18/2014

NOA1 - 03/04/2014
Biometrics - 03/28/2014
EAD in post - 5/5/2014

EAD in hand - 5/10/2014

ROC mailed - 10/11/2016

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline

To be honest I pretty much agree with your husband. Not having problems in your marriage is not a requirement for ROC. Edited by EM_Vandaveer

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

I am not an expert, but I tend to think that your husband is right... Just because you have thought of divorcing, if you haven't made that decision you should proceed as though you are expecting to stay together. Relationships are hard, and a lot of people may talk about or think about divorce, but until they actually take the step they are entitled to be treated as a married couple.

I suppose you might have some grounds to worry that if you are engaging in polyamorous situations they might think that your relationship is not legitimate, as "infidelity" (a slippery term) is considered a deal breaker by many couples. However, I don't know how that would come up if you don't volunteer it. Does anyone else have any insight on that front?

Be careful with anxiety pills. I recommend meditation or yoga, although I know it may not work for everyone.

Good luck!

Edit: I saw your post about the pills after I posted... I didn't mean to imply that your use of the pills was dodgy, just that they could have side effects you might not find desirable.

Edited by dawning

That is reassuring from you all, thank you.

Yes, the polyamory thing worries me as well. I don't want it to be a smudge on my character if it ever comes up. It's far from infidelity though, it's something all parties agreed to from the beginning with full communication and understanding. The heart can't help where it goes but a person can help how they handle it and allowing all individuals to make informed decisions.

Despite it all being very above board and stable, I worry if a USCIS officer might get upset if it came up in interview. I didn't include info about it in my packet because it wasn't relevant and the seriousness of it is more recent.

My ROC packet was also quite comprehensive and showed many joint assets, including a car we both bought two weeks before we sent the packet with a 5 year joint loan, and previous cars, bank statements, leases etc dating to the start of our marriage (a loooot of stuff)

AOS posted - 02/18/2014

NOA1 - 03/04/2014
Biometrics - 03/28/2014
EAD in post - 5/5/2014

EAD in hand - 5/10/2014

ROC mailed - 10/11/2016

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Kosova
Timeline

Are you planning to complete ROC before moving? The reason I mention that is my hubby and I did have an interview because we moved twice in 2 year's time. We were interviewed separately but the majority of the questions were about the moves we made. I think they just wanted to be sure we made the moves together. It was a short, easy interview, because we both knew all the answers, because we did everything together. My hubby got his 10 year card. Best of luck to you and hope you can breath a sigh of relief soon.

XMY93gI.jpgXMY9m5.png

AAD1m5.pngThankYouUSA-Kosova.jpg

See my Timeline for details of our visa journey
17-Aug-2011 Our Wedding Day in Kosovo 
07-Nov-2011 Filed I-130
21-Nov-2011 NOA1
23-Aug-2012 NOA2 Approved 276 days
10-Jan-2013 Case complete via email

28-Feb-2013 Interview, result AP
11-Apr-2013 Embassy appointment - VISA APPROVED and issued in 4 hours
30-Apr-2013 POE Chicago O'Hare - He's home!

04-Sep-2014 Moved to northern California

12-Mar-2015 Filed ROC
16-Mar-2015 Documents delivered
18-Mar-2015 Check cashed
19-Mar-2015 NOA1 dated 03/16/2015 received in mail
13-Apr-2015 Biometrics completed
02-Feb-2016 Contacted USCIS about case, was told it's on hold because of security checks (email)
04-Mar-2016 Moved to Wisconsin
12-Aug-2016 New Biometrics appointment
14-Sep-2016 Contacted USCIS again about case (email said we should hear from them by Oct 6)
22-Sep-2016 Letter from USCIS dated 9/20 explaining the Service Request is currently being reviewed by an officer.
22-Sep-2016 Letter from USCIS dated 9/20 with Interview appointment for both of us for 28-Sep-2016
28-Sep-2016 Interview, both of us, separated, not hard, 10 min. each, result---said hubby will get GC in about 10 days
26-Oct-2016 *****STILL WAITING*****
02-Nov-2016 Card is being produced!!!
08-Nov-2016 Card is mailed
10-Nov-2016 Card is Delivered!!!! YAY
CITIZENSHIP: 

Biometrics appointment for 2020-03-27 has been cancelled until further notice as all field offices are closed because of COVID-19.

***NOA dated 12/10/2020 USCIS stated they are able to reuse previous Biometrics***

Interview was easy. My hubby's Oath Ceremony is scheduled for February 25th. I can't watch >sad< but happy he is getting his certificate!

25-FEB-2021 Oath Ceremony! My hubby is a Citizen!

If the CSC processing times hold up, it will be after it completes. Our move is planned for mid May and the 6 month mark for our case is mid April. We haven't moved from our place of residence since I arrived in 2013 (except temporary lodgings due to an ice storm destroying our kitchen which I documented and explained in the initial packet and provided the lease with joint names)

AOS posted - 02/18/2014

NOA1 - 03/04/2014
Biometrics - 03/28/2014
EAD in post - 5/5/2014

EAD in hand - 5/10/2014

ROC mailed - 10/11/2016

I agree with your husband; I think it's going to be fine. A lot of couples have problems adjusting, especially in the first few years. Doesn't mean you're going to divorce.

If you move before your case is decided, just be sure to file your change of permanent address quickly (you're supposed to do that within 10 days of your move). It's my opinion that everything's going to work out fine, so try not to worry.

"Wherever you go, you take yourself with you." --Neil Gaiman

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

That is reassuring from you all, thank you.

Yes, the polyamory thing worries me as well. I don't want it to be a smudge on my character if it ever comes up. It's far from infidelity though, it's something all parties agreed to from the beginning with full communication and understanding. The heart can't help where it goes but a person can help how they handle it and allowing all individuals to make informed decisions.

Despite it all being very above board and stable, I worry if a USCIS officer might get upset if it came up in interview. I didn't include info about it in my packet because it wasn't relevant and the seriousness of it is more recent.

My ROC packet was also quite comprehensive and showed many joint assets, including a car we both bought two weeks before we sent the packet with a 5 year joint loan, and previous cars, bank statements, leases etc dating to the start of our marriage (a loooot of stuff)

Honestly, I don't see why your relationship arrangement with that 3rd person would come up in the interview unless you volunteer information. USCIS will Remove Conditions based on your marriage to your husband. For as long as you both want to remain married, I don't see the problem. You will not be marrying that other person, so why explain your heart desires?

If asked, you should always be truthful, but you should NEVER volunteer information either. Once again, I don't see how USCIS would even ask you about it unless you tell them first. Your marriage is yours and your husband's.

I completely agree with what your husband told you; i.e., no need to worry about it. You entered the marriage in good faith and you're not divorced/separated. There is no legal obligation at this point that you need to inform USCIS. Just wait and see how things go. You're stressing out for no reason. Take it easy and everything will be alright! :-) If you do move before your petition is approved, you must inform USCIS about this and provide them with your new address.

Edited by genghiz

Everything about immigration is stressful so I understand why you're feeling this way. But I also agree with the others.

Best wishes in your journey.

N-400 May 2017 Google Doc

Full timeline- 

Filed from abroad- Costa Rica

NOA1- NOA2: 316 days

Jan 12, 2013: Married!!
Mar 19, 2013: NOA1

Jan 28, 2014: I-130 approved

NVC- Green Card in Hand: 189 days

Feb 3, 2014: TSC sends case to NVC
April 14: Real checklist for AOS (saying tax number was incorrect when it wasn't)
April 30: Another AOS checklist, for proof of employment (which was already sent)
May 1: Checklist for IV- certified marriage certificate (even though I sent a certified one originally)
July 1: INTERVIEW!!! - APPROVED!
July 16: POE through Miami
July 22: SSN card in the mail
August 30, 2014: Green card arrives in the mail!!!

ROC: 366 days
April 27, 2016: Sent 300 page ROC packet to VSC via overnight mail
May 16: Check shown as charged online, received NOA 1 dated April 29
June 20, 2016- Biometrics
April 28, 2017: Approval
May 4, 2017: Approval letter arrived
May 15, 2017: GC arrives in mail

N-400: 190 days
May 8: Sent packet to Dallas Lockbox
May 12: NOA 1, Credit card charged
June 7: Biometrics
June 16: "In line"
Oct 2: Interview letter arrives (online status still says ''in line'')
Oct 31: Interview- Approved!
Nov 13: Oath ceremony!  Applied for passport & registered to vote on site.
Nov 22: Passport arrives (paid for expedited service and overnight delivery)

Journey complete! A total of 1701 days or 4 years, 7 months and 26 days.

Filed: Timeline

My advice? I can't tell you stop worrying. I know that is not going to happen. Gather your relationship evidence, the same as everyone else. Only provide the information USCIS requires and nothing more. No mention of possible divorce, third party, moving, etc, etc. What are you thinking when you want to tell them all of those things? Quite frankly, that's sabotaging yourself. Of course there are always some things to worry about. Anyone who doesn't worry about the immigration process is brain dead. Take a deep breath, stop rambling about this, that and other things and do what you need to do to get through the ROC with minimum hassle or potential questions asked because something was said that you shouldn't have.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.