bemydruidess

Divorce after AOS

10 posts in this topic

A friend of mine underwent the AOS process this year, but his marriage has somewhat fallen apart. He has asked me to see what I can learn on here regarding what his chances are of being able to remain in the US, as he has a job he loves, animals, and a lot of friends etc.

Divorce seems fairly imminent and he is concerned about his status in the US.

He has conditional permanent residence as of very recently, so I understand he has the option to remove conditions solo should they divorce?

if he already has the green card then he cannot be deported... him getting a divorce wont affect his green card or his status. if he got the 2 year green card then he can do ROC on his own just before it expires and if he has the 10 year green card then he can apply for citizenship on his own

Hi,

Right after his AOS going through and him receiving his CONDITIONAL RESIDENCY CARD (from a K1 visa and adjusting status), my friend and his USC wife are divorcing.

He wants to know if the below evidence is sufficient for him to remove conditions on his own:

* Wedding Photos

* Lease agreement with both names and same address

* Bank account with both names and same address

* Internet bill with both names and same address

* Car insurance with both names and same address

* Photos through their relationship and marriage

* Wedding cards from relatives and friends addressed to both with dates, Christmas cards with dates addressed to both

Or what else could be considered better?

Edited by bemydruidess

Who is divorcing who? He is divorcing the USC or the USC is divorcing him? And what reasons are there for the divorce?

These are questions probably will come up during his process. As was said, is fairly suspicious to get a divorce immediately after receiving his GC....

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.