ZoeUK1989

US Embassy London K1 interview experience

3 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi everyone,

Just thought i would share with you my experience of my K1 interview at US embassy in London on the 8th December 2016

I think that the Embassy's website and people's experiences seem different therefore this caused me to panic a lot more than i needed to, so here's my experience.

Interview booked for 12:30 on 08/12/16

I was advised by several different people and different websites what could or couldn't be taken into the US Embassy in London, for example I was told that the following items were prohibited:

1. Mobile phones
  2. Laptops
  3. Ipads or tablets
  4. Liquids
  5. Sealed documents
  6. Bags

I can confirm that these are not all of these are actually prohibited which other people may confirm on here for you too.

Allowed into the Embassy:

1. Mobile phones (they even offer free WiFi
  2. Ipads or tablets (without additional keyboards, hence laptops are not allowed!)
  3. Liquids depending on amount or container i believe (you are allowed to take a drink however, you can not take a cologne as this is in a glass bottle which are prohibited!)
  4. Sealed documents
  5. Bags (so long as they do not contain any of the prohibited items)

Please look for the US Embassy London's official prohibited items list as a lot of the prohibited items from a while back have changed! I also checked with the Lady at the desk outside of the Embassy beforehand.

Documents I took with me were as follows:

Please note that you may not need all of these and I was aware of this however I worked on the basis of better to be safe than sorry

1. Appointment letter (received via email)
  2. Original letter from the Embassy
  3. DS-160
  4. Confirmation on MRV payment and courier service
  5. 4 x US sized photographs
  6. Affidavit of support (I-134)
  7. Proof of employment including letter from employer, payslips and bank statements
  8. Tax return
  9. Police certificate
  10. Birth certificate
  11. Passport
  12. Documents provided from Knightsbridge medical
  13. Original I-129F petition
  14. Proof of relationship
  15. New letter of intent

So i went to the desk outside which she confirmed what could go into the embassy and what couldn't. I sorted my bag and went back to her where she requested my appointment letter however i think what they actually mean by that is the letter that you received from the Embassy in the first place and my passport.

I handed them over to her and she marked my name of the list of appointments for that day and checked my passport. She then sent me to the security room with the scanner which was directly in front of her.

I walked over and waited (the door is locked and they will open it when they see you are waiting) I had to remove my wallet, mobile phone, bracelet, necklace and belt and put them in a tray separate to the tray that my bag was in. It went through the x ray and i went through the metal detector, no bleeps so they gave me my things back and sent me through the door, which again is locked but they will unlock it once you are ready to go, the big green light will appear and out you go.

So you follow it round to the right (its all completely sign posted) and up the stairs to the reception desk where the man took my appointment letter, printed off the ticket and stuck it to my letter, I was I912, he then asked me to go to my left up the stairs and through the door and take a seat close to the front. I did as i was told and took at seat. In front of you there is a huge screen, It tells you who they are processing at that time, displays the number of who they want next and gives information about your rights in America and just things like that. Be warned it seems the numbers are not called in any particular order so please do not get lost in your book or your mobile phone (they never seemed happy when they had to come and verbally call someones number!)

as the screen tells you to have certain documents ready and out of any folders or binders i did just that, I got the documents out that they requested and waited until my number was called. I was in there about 5 minuted to which my numbers was called to window 13. I went to the window to which i was greeted by a lovely gentlemen. He first said hello and congratulated me on the engagement and then requested the following documents:

1. Letter from the Embassy
  2. Photograph
  3. Affidavit of support
  4. Tax return
  5. Birth certificate
  6. Police Certificate
  7. Passport
  8. Courier confirmation letter
  9. DS-160

As my fiance has not earned enough on her last tax return i had taken all the supporting documents to show that she was now earning enough, in full time permanent employment and was over the 125% guideline (for AOS).

Even though i explained this about the not earning enough on the tax return, he still requested it so i am glad i took it with me. A lot of people have advised me they won't need it at this point which i am not saying they were wrong as they may have had someone different or different circumstances, my personal opinion would be regardless of the amount then... take it with you along with the proof of employment and current earnings.

He took all my documents, asked for a contact number and took my finger prints. Right hand first 4 fingers, then you left hand 4 fingers, then your two thumbs. He asked me when i was due to fly out which i said i am intending to go in January but i haven't booked flights as of yet as i wanted to make sure i had everything first.

He then said that was a good idea and probably the best thing to do, handed me a CD of my X-ray from Knightsbridge (which the envelope was already opened) and said that was a souvenir for me, handed me back my documents excluding the passport and asked me to take a seat again where they would call my number one last time.

That bit was done by 12:14 So it had taken about 10 minutes.

I then waited again for around about 1 hour and 20 mins and my number got called again to window 15. I walked over and this time it was a lovely young lady who was going to ask me the questions...

These are the questions she asked and i will write them in conversation form:

How did you meet your Fiance?

We met on an online dating app

Which one was it?

It was actually Tinder... I am a little embarrassed to say Tinder because of what some people think it is for...

Don't be, you would not believe the amount of people we get saying that is how they met. So when did you meet and start talking?

We started talking in April of last year

And when did you first meet in person?

August 2015 i travelled to Phoenix to visit and stayed for a couple of weeks

Brilliant, so you have been there, has she ever been here?

Yes, she came to the UK twice, once alone and then with her family in May which is when we got engaged. We tried to alternate it so I went there and then she came here and so on.

That's a great idea! So where does your fiance live?

Arizona in Phoenix

Very nice, So one other question, what do you and your fiance have in common?

We have lots in common when it comes to morals and things we like to do. We are both homebodies and like to do the same things so just enjoying the simple things in life like peoples company and going out for meals or the movies.

She likes Disney though and i don't...

This was said in a joking manner, we both laughed and she said well Zoe I am pleased to tell you that your visa has been approved! Congratulations!

I was so thrilled but didn't feel it was appropriate to run around the building jumping for joy so i gave her a huge smile and a double thumbs and said thank you, that makes me so happy.

She explained that my passport would be sent back to me via the courier with the visa inside in about 2 weeks i think she said.

I then actually asked her a few questions about herself and how it works with them being from America where she told me that they get moved around and will spend so long in one place and then move on to the next. Her next stop was Brazil

I said i would leave her to it as i'm sure he had a lot to do, asked her how to get out and wished her the best of luck on her travels!

That was it... I walked back out through the security room (which they do not scan your or anything again) and met back up with my friend.

Called my fiance and told her the good news and then let her go back to sleep haha.

So over all, half the things i took i didn't need but i do not regret taking them just in case, it was not as scary as i thought it was going to be and overall it was a pleasant experience.

So that is pretty much it. If i have missed anything off i do apologise but please do not hesitate to ask me questions.

Now i wait for my passport and my visa then i am good to go and marry the woman of my dreams!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Yes one's experience depends greatly upon what embassy one is interviewing/dealing with. It is important to remember that and really only be concerned with how your particular embassy handles visa applications and interviewing. Your updated information is very useful. Consider updating your embassy info guide tab.

Congratulations!

*~*~*country-specific thread moved from "K-1 fiancé visa" to United Kingdom sub-forum*~*~*

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.