16 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Nigeria
Timeline

morning peeps

i was curious i know there are 2 options for doing ssn

1. do ssn , marry, and update ssn with married name , then file AOS

2. marry , do ssn after marry , then file AOS

3. wait till green card to change married name on ssn

but i know it depends on the state your in what your able to do , for NC what options are doable in nc? i would prefer to do it the first way , but just wanted to see what other nc ppl did

thanks

I would recommend that about a week after your partner arrives. Go apply for the San. See info in the guides. After you marry you can change the name. It will make things easier such as bank accounts and such. This is what we did and things went smoothly.

Service Center : California Service Center on 2014-03-17Consulate : London, United KingdomI-129F Sent : 2014-03-10I-129F NOA1 : 2014-03-14I-129F NOA2 : 2014-04-07NVC Received :4/21/2014NVC Left :4/23/2014Consulate Received :2014-04-29Packet 3 Received :2014-05-01Packet 3 Sent :2014-05-01Medical Complete: 2014-05-07Packet 4 Received :2014-5-31Interview Date :2014-06-06Visa Issued: 2014-06-10Visa Package Received: 2014-06-13Arrival at POE Seattle: 2014-6-13

Married 07/07/2014

AOS Timeline
AOS package mailed 08/08/2014 (Chicago Lockbox)
NOA date 8/13/2014
Biometrics done 09/14/2014
INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 10/31/2014
Approval e-mail 10/31/2014
Card production e-mail 12/27/2011
GREEN CARD ARRIVED 11/08/201

Employment Authorization Document
CIS Office : Chicago National Office
Filing Method : Mail
Filing Instance : First
Date Filed : 2014-08-04
NOA Date : 2014-08-13
RFE(s) :
Bio. Appt. : 2014-09-04
Approved Date : 2014-09-25
Date Card Received : 2014-10-03

ADVANCED Parole
CIS Office : Chicago National Office
Filing Method : Mail
Filing Instance :First
Date Filed : 2014-08-04
NOA Date : 2014-08-13
RFE(s) :
Date Received : 2014-10-03

ROC Timeline
ROC package mailed to CSC 10/13/2016
NOA1 date 10/17/2016
Biometrics date 12/8/2016

Interview: None
Card production ordered: 03/27/2018
10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Denmark
Timeline

You don't have to update the name before filing for AOS if you choose option 1.

Just remember if you go back and change name it has to be before there is 14 days left on the I-94 or wait for the EAD to come.

Timeline

oh ok how long is the 1 94 usually valid for

90 days from the day you enter :)

I'm in GA but we went to get my ssn 2 days after I came here with no issues it came in the mail after one week.

We got married a month and a half later and then when you have marriage certificate as proof of name change you can go back and change it to married name. (Though be aware that they only issue 3 SSN in one year 10 in a lifttime so after name change you are already at 2 and then when GC comes you'll be at number 3. Atlas thats what they told us)

Edited by Georgia16

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: India
Timeline

just as another data point,

after arrival, tried to get ssn within first week, and had FNU issue, resolved that.

Then got married

Finally went back to SS office for SSN, and it was 13 days before the 90 day since arrival was up so we were in a window of unable to applly for SSN until EAD came.

Filed AOS (and EAD, etc)

EAD came, then filed for SSN and got it within a week I believe

Do the option1 you stated, it will be smoother.

Filed: Country: Nigeria
Timeline

try as much as possible to do it in the city, preferable Raleigh. it doesn't take long to change name, we tried changing my wife name in a small town in NC, this drag for almost 4 month until we drove 2 hours plus to raleigh and did the change of name in 10 min.

• 1 month later...
Timeline
On 12/8/2016 at 9:39 AM, Georgia16 said:

90 days from the day you enter :)

I'm in GA but we went to get my ssn 2 days after I came here with no issues it came in the mail after one week.

We got married a month and a half later and then when you have marriage certificate as proof of name change you can go back and change it to married name. (Though be aware that they only issue 3 SSN in one year 10 in a lifttime so after name change you are already at 2 and then when GC comes you'll be at number 3. Atlas thats what they told us)

why did u go to ssn office a third time when u got your GC?

Timeline
44 minutes ago, soulstriker said:

why did u go to ssn office a third time when u got your GC?

I got ssn when I got here, got a new one when I changed my name to my husbands after marriage and then have to go back after I receive the GC so that will be 3 times.

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Georgia16 said:

I got ssn when I got here, got a new one when I changed my name to my husbands after marriage and then have to go back after I receive the GC so that will be 3 times.

why did u have to go after getting GC?

Timeline
2 minutes ago, soulstriker said:

why did u have to go after getting GC?

You have to correct the status to permanent resident :)

It's the same with the DMV I also have to go back there when GC comes.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.