Hdiesel4

DV2017 need some unclear questions answered please!!

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Australia
Timeline

Hi guys,

So i have been driving myself insane since 2015, registering for the DV Lottery, waiting for acceptance email (Yay finally), submitting application and then waiting once again, got the scheduled interview at the Sydney Consulate and sh** just got real and exciting !!! Anyhow so Iv been researching and researching and I just wanted some questions cleared up if possible ?

I have checked on the forum and some questions still leaving me crazily sleepless! If you find that these questions have been answered then please don't hesitate to direct me in the right direction/link (or you can just answer :P )

I do appreciate everybody and will thank whoever can help ease my mind in advance !!! So thank you!!

Okay here goes:

1. Regarding The Police Check do i have to get a full finger print police check with the AFP or is Name Check Only acceptable? (I just received my name check and all is good but then I read an article with someone's experience and they mentioned they had taken a finger print police check and I was like FML why didn't I read this BEFORE I applied for a standard name check only...)

2. I don't need to apply for a Re-Entry permit if I don't plan on leaving the US for longer then 6 months once going to the US to "claim/activate" my green card within the 6 months of my interview/medical exam, correct?

( For example:

Interview Jan (fingers crossed get the visa)

Fly to US in June/July

Organise Social Security Number, bank account and maybe even apply for some jobs

Now obviously depending on how long everything takes to get all that completed and if I get a job offer

I will just stay there and woot woot can say I moved to the US

But if no job offer isn't at present I'll head back home to Australia and work on finances and plan to Make official move for Jan 2018!)

Okay they are really just my main concerns for now !

Thanks again for taking the time to read and answer!!

I'm not Australian but from what I've heard you are supposed to do the fingerprint one, though some people have been ok with the name check. If you have time to do the fingerprint one, I'd suggest you do it.

And yes your plan sounds fine, it's best not be out longer than 6 months but you can stay out up to a year without needing a re-entry permit.

Timeline

Hey thanks guys for getting back to me !!!

Won't have enough time to do the finger print Check so fingers crossed the name only Check is sufficient!!!

Is it even possible to get a rental/lease without any form of work or credit check in the states? I mean here's hoping I can get a job I won't be needing to fly back to Australia! In the meantime i will be working my boootay off to try and bring lots and lots of money to support me for at least 2-6 months!

Filed: Country: Australia
Timeline

Most of the OCers do the name check and there are no problems so long as it's the full disclosure check (Code 33 when you fill out the form from the AFP. Code 35 only includes unspent offences and they want ALL unspent and spent). We did the full disclosure name check ourselves and it was fine. Some have even gotten away with the Code 35 check. I personally don't know of an OCer who got the fingerprints done.

Your maintenance of lpr status is dependent on retaining residency ties to the US over your country of citizenship. Be careful with leaving without having established residency even if it was for less than 6 months.. no job, no rental / lease, may make proving residency difficult if you are asked on re entry. I think you woukd find that USCIS considers your first entry as your Official move

Hey thanks guys for getting back to me !!!

Won't have enough time to do the finger print Check so fingers crossed the name only Check is sufficient!!!

Is it even possible to get a rental/lease without any form of work or credit check in the states? I mean here's hoping I can get a job I won't be needing to fly back to Australia! In the meantime i will be working my boootay off to try and bring lots and lots of money to support me for at least 2-6 months!

Almost every DV winner I know has entered the US to activate their green card, gone home to sort things out (sell houses, finish up work obligations etc) and come back somewhere between 6-12 months later to make the final move, with no problems whatsoever. The only issue arises if your second (final) entry is on a return ticket out ;) as long as you're coming back on a one-way ticket and not trying to game the system by visiting once every 6 months to keep your green card, you'll be fine. Don't worry about trying to get a lease before you go again, but definitely get a bank account sorted out. Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline

Again thanks so much for your replies guys !! :)!

Now I have another few questions.... haha

So I have once been issued a Social Security Number back in 2012 but have literally turned my house upside down looking for that small little piece of paper and can't find it anywhere !!!! (Dying inside)

How hard is it going to be to get a replacement?

What documents do in need in terms of getting a replacement?

Do I apply for a new one ?

Worked at Disney world so they literally organised all the application so I don't know what should do in regards to SSN if I was to get the visa!

Thanks again in advance !!!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline

Again thanks so much for your replies guys !! :)!

Now I have another few questions.... haha

So I have once been issued a Social Security Number back in 2012 but have literally turned my house upside down looking for that small little piece of paper and can't find it anywhere !!!! (Dying inside)

How hard is it going to be to get a replacement?

What documents do in need in terms of getting a replacement?

Do I apply for a new one ?

Worked at Disney world so they literally organised all the application so I don't know what should do in regards to SSN if I was to get the visa!

Thanks again in advance !!!

Your SSN is yours for life. Shouldn't be hard to get another card. Do NOT apply for a new number!

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

• 1 month later...
Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

You can just apply for a replacement card. In the meantime though if you are not able to do it right away, you can use your A# for some stuff. Honestly, most places do not ask for a card if you know the number however you will need it for a driver's license or state Id. Im as excited for you as you sound. Congrats and best of luck. 

Edited by Chardon Ne'

Pkg Sent:9/13/16

Received at Chicago Lock box: 9/16/16

Received Texts: 9/30/16

NOA1 Received: 10/4/16 : Receipt Date of 9/19/16

Bio Appt letter Received: 10/12/16

Bio Appt completed: 10/24/16

Card in production: 11/17/16

Combo Card received 11/25/16

Timeline
On 11/12/2016 at 9:54 PM, EM_Vandaveer said:

Your SSN is yours for life. Shouldn't be hard to get another card. Do NOT apply for a new number!

Okay will not apply for a new card ! :)

On 12/01/2017 at 7:27 AM, Chardon Ne' said:

You can just apply for a replacement card. In the meantime though if you are not able to do it right away, you can use your A# for some stuff. Honestly, most places do not ask for a card if you know the number however you will need it for a driver's license or state Id. Im as excited for you as you sound. Congrats and best of luck. 

Sooo I was thinking of applying for a replacement card here in Australia through the USA Consalute but then I have been reading up on the SSN and On the "Welcome to the United States" PDF it states:

"You do not need to fill out an application or go to a Social Security office to get a Social Security number if all of the following conditions apply to you:

• ●  You asked for a Social Security number or card when you applied for an immigrant visa;

• ●  You applied for an immigrant visa in October 2002 or later; and

• ●  You were 18 years old or older when you came to the United States. "

Now I'm pretty sure on my 'DS 260' form I clicked 'Yes' to having:

- been issued a SSN number before

- allowing blah blah to gather my info for my SSN 

but clicked 'No' on

- what is the SSN.

Anyhow the question is, should I not worry about trying to sort out my whole SSN situation from Australia and just wait 2/3 weeks and see if my SSN card miraculously shows up in the mail?

or 

As soon as I make it to the US go to a SS office and see if it's being processed or if anything is happening in regards to my SSN? 

Or

go back to my original plan and go to the US Consalute with a replacement form for my SSN and hope that they send the card to me here in Australia and I will be able to bring it with me ?

arghhh honestly I am bashing myself for misplacing the card and not recording it down somewhere in the first place!!! Such a headache !!!! 

Btw UPDATE!!

Had my Visa interview last week at the Sydney Consalute and got APPROVED, YAYAYAYA!!!! Also just received an email today saying my visa has been ISSUED!! Now literally on AusPost tracking website refreshing every 10 seconds to see where my passport is....hahaha!! 

Thanks again in advance for your help!! 

Just go to a SS office when you arrive in the US. Take your passport with immigrant visa. You'd need a new card anyway (even if the same number) as the old one would have certain restrictions attached to it. So no point trying to get a new one before you've activated your immigrant visa as you are not a permanent resident until you land.

Edited by SusieQQQ

Timeline
3 hours ago, Hdiesel4 said:

Okay will not apply for a new card ! :)

Sooo I was thinking of applying for a replacement card here in Australia through the USA Consalute but then I have been reading up on the SSN and On the "Welcome to the United States" PDF it states:

"You do not need to fill out an application or go to a Social Security office to get a Social Security number if all of the following conditions apply to you:

• ●  You asked for a Social Security number or card when you applied for an immigrant visa;

• ●  You applied for an immigrant visa in October 2002 or later; and

• ●  You were 18 years old or older when you came to the United States. "

Now I'm pretty sure on my 'DS 260' form I clicked 'Yes' to having:

- been issued a SSN number before

- allowing blah blah to gather my info for my SSN 

but clicked 'No' on

- what is the SSN.

Anyhow the question is, should I not worry about trying to sort out my whole SSN situation from Australia and just wait 2/3 weeks and see if my SSN card miraculously shows up in the mail?

or 

As soon as I make it to the US go to a SS office and see if it's being processed or if anything is happening in regards to my SSN? 

Or

go back to my original plan and go to the US Consalute with a replacement form for my SSN and hope that they send the card to me here in Australia and I will be able to bring it with me ?

arghhh honestly I am bashing myself for misplacing the card and not recording it down somewhere in the first place!!! Such a headache !!!! 

Btw UPDATE!!

Had my Visa interview last week at the Sydney Consalute and got APPROVED, YAYAYAYA!!!! Also just received an email today saying my visa has been ISSUED!! Now literally on AusPost tracking website refreshing every 10 seconds to see where my passport is....hahaha!! 

Thanks again in advance for your help!! 

Yeah I would just wait. 

Timeline
6 hours ago, SusieQQQ said:

Just go to a SS office when you arrive in the US. Take your passport with immigrant visa. You'd need a new card anyway (even if the same number) as the old one would have certain restrictions attached to it. So no point trying to get a new one before you've activated your immigrant visa as you are not a permanent resident until you land.

Sweet awesome! Does it matter what SS office I go to ? Or any state will do? For example can I go to a New Orleans SS office but my intentions of settling down are in Florida? Or do I have to go to a Florida SS office? Only cause I have family in New Orleans so will be staying with them until I can sort out my bank details etc. 

thanks again! 

Timeline
Just now, Hdiesel4 said:

Sweet awesome! Does it matter what SS office I go to ? Or any state will do? For example can I go to a New Orleans SS office but my intentions of settling down are in Florida? Or do I have to go to a Florida SS office? Only cause I have family in New Orleans so will be staying with them until I can sort out my bank details etc. 

thanks again! 

No you can go to any one, you can use New Orleans  as a mailing address. 

Timeline
On 14/01/2017 at 8:03 AM, Chardon Ne' said:

No you can go to any one, you can use New Orleans  as a mailing address. 

Awesome great!!

Sooo another couple questions have crossed my mind just to CONFIRM my knowledge.... haha

Can I leave the US without having my physical green 'card' mailed to my preferred US address? 

I dont actually need to apply for any sort of re-entry permit, or do anything before leaving the states to return home to sort out permanent relocation, correct?

Would an expired Florida Identification Card help me in any sort of way? Haha, maybe make it easier to get a drivers license? Or something....

does anybody know a forum for new expats in the US? I feel like My questions are not a fit in this forum haha! 

Thanks so much!!

1 hour ago, Hdiesel4 said:

Awesome great!!

Sooo another couple questions have crossed my mind just to CONFIRM my knowledge.... haha

Can I leave the US without having my physical green 'card' mailed to my preferred US address? 

I dont actually need to apply for any sort of re-entry permit, or do anything before leaving the states to return home to sort out permanent relocation, correct?

Would an expired Florida Identification Card help me in any sort of way? Haha, maybe make it easier to get a drivers license? Or something....

does anybody know a forum for new expats in the US? I feel like My questions are not a fit in this forum haha! 

Thanks so much!!

1 yes (I presume you mean before you received it?)

2 yes, as long as you don't plan to stay out longer than a year

3 no

4 http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/15-moving-to-the-us-and-your-new-life-in-america/

good luck!

Edited by SusieQQQ

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.