ZoeUK1989

US embassy London question?

32 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thank you so much for your advice. It definitely makes me feel more at ease knowing you work for an airline so you will know that inside out compared to me :)

I am sure I will work something out based on your advice!

So you have done it before? I wish I could work for them and get a staff ticket haha.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Lol that's JFH that works for an airline but I only wish I did! I bought a one way ticket over but I spent about two days solid researching and comparing and eventually got a good deal but had to fly into JFK which I really didn't want to do.

So whereabouts in England are you?

I will not look back on this journey with fond memories, but I will look back knowing that every step was worth it, whatever the outcome.

K-1

Spoiler

I-129f sent - December 30 2015
NOA1 received - January 4 2016
Hard copy received - January 11 2016
RFE notice - February 29 2016 (56 days)
Hard copy received - March 4 2016
RFE receipt - March 09 2016 (9 days)

NOA2 received - March 16 2016 (72 days from NOA1)

NVC received - April 06 2016 (21 days from NOA2)

Medical - April 15 2016

Packet 3 received - April 16 2016

Interview - June 01 2016 (wedding postponed) - APPROVED!!

Visa in hand - June 09 2016

Flying home - June 17 2016 - POE JFK - check out my POE review for details

Wedding - July 14 2016

AOS

I-485 - 08/24/16

NOA1 - 09/01/16 Biometrics - 09/26/16

EAD - 11/04/16

AP - 11/05/16

Card delivered - 11/19/16

Driving license - 11/30/16

New job - 12/01/16

I-485 approved - 02/10/17 - Interview waived

ROC

I-751 - 11/30/18

NOA1 - 01/25/19

Biometrics - 07/01/19

Timeline

This is the time we all wished we worked for an airline lol.

JFH can i ask you a question thay you may know the answer to?

Do you know why airlines do charge so much for a one way. I was trying to think of how it benefits them but I'm guessing it's because if you need a one way they expect you to pay a good amount.

I am in the west midlands :)

Funnily enough, in some parts of the world, one-way tickets are cheaper (Africa and Asia, for example). If you asked on the Philippines forum here whether to buy one-way or return they would laugh at you for even thinking of buying a return because over there the return ticket is higher (as you would logically expect).

In Europe it's different because people travel a lot more (both for business and pleasure) and there is fierce competition between the airlines. If you buy a one-way ticket you are effectively being penalised for potentially taking your custom elsewhere. If you fly one-way with BA, they have no guarantee that you are flying back with them. You could be taking your business elsewhere. Also, the airlines save administration costs with return tickets because they can predict in advance how many passengers will be on a flight. This helps with staffing, catering, fuel and equipment planning. The more accurate your prediction on the number of passengers on a flight, the less money you waste. It's not unknown to look at a flight a few weeks before it leaves and see that only 150 seats have been sold (and the aircraft planned for it has 300 seats) so you can swap it for a smaller aircraft that takes less fuel to get off the ground and fewer staff members and not lose money.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline

See I knew you would know the answer lol.

It all makes sense when I think of it that way. It's just a shame isn't it that you don't intend on taking the custom elsewhere yet don't actually get chance to explain the situation.

I will definitely have to consider my options as I would much rather get a direct flight and I think my mum is also keen on the idea of me not getting on several different flights.

I have always used BA for my flights to Phoenix but in actual fact because their price is so high that is almost pushing people to use a different airline.

I looked on skyscanner and the price for a direct flight was £850 give or take a few quid with Finnair... however every other direct flight is over £1600. This is obviously not a true price as Finnair website says is £1600+ so I wouldn't be booking that. The last thing you want on top of all this is stressing about your flight.

Timeline

I just looked at another option which actually is probably something i would end up doing.

There is a flight to Dublin from East Midlands for £9.99 then a 1 stop from Dublin to phx (stop is in heathrow) for £690.

Bargain!! Lol

I am also really confused how to get my things over there as in do i just take and pay for an extra suitcase. Do I mail it bit by bit lol

I just don't know haha

I'm taking two suitcases on the plane and the rest is going by sea freight. "The rest" is mostly books (about 25 boxes of them) and some really good quality bakeware and cookware that would be too expensive to replace there.

Timeline in brief:

Now a US citizen!

I have flown to the USA a few times. My connections to get cheap flights previously were in the UK. For example I would go from Manchester to Heathrow and direct from there. Same flight just cheaper from Manchester.

The throwing away your return makes me nervous for a couple of reasons

1. Will they see something off about the fact that I have a return ticket even though I don't plan on leaving?

2. Ticking throwing is something that they can chase you for. They can chase you for the cost that it would have been if it had been a one way and they can ban you from using the airline.

I checked and checked again with this as it was my first thought.

I intend on flying into Phoenix as that's where my fiance lives :)

Mobile phones, tablets and Kindles are all fine, I took all of them!

I also booked a return ticket as it was far cheaper!! I totally forgot I had a return leg! Had no problems at all.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

I had my interview two years ago in the London embassy. be prepared for a line outside, then you have to go through a scanning booth, there were two on either side. My friend came with me and held my bags outside, while I took my paperwork only with me. You can take your phone in with you I did. It was all rather pleasant and fast, I read some awful things, but I was quite happy with my experience. I got called up with my ticket to provide my documents and ACRO, and then was told to wait again in the seating area, then about ten mins later I was called up and had my interview by a charming American who asked me a few questions, at the same time he looked through my paperwork, and then after a few questions smiled at me and said I'm pleased to tell you your approved for your fiancé visa. He asked me if I had paid a courier fee which I did and said my passport would take around a week to be returned back to me. It was such a relief and a GOOD experience :) so good luck with your interview !. (this was the old embassy I believe they have a new one now). Also I booked a return ticket saving over 300 pounds, my POE was Chicago O Hare, again that was a lovely experience to

Edited by marksmith-manley

Oh I almost forgot that the new embassy will be opening soon. Funnily enough we drove past the construction site on the National Express on our way to Victoria on Monday. It's huge! But the old embassy isn't exactly small. The old one (Grosvenor Square) is being turned into a posh hotel.

I wonder who will be the first one here to go through the new embassy?

Timeline in brief:

Now a US citizen!

Timeline

I had heard about that the embassy is moving locations. The forst person will probably be so confused as all the posts will probably be different lol

I am glad other people are saying that they have brought return tickets and not used them too. Can i ask when you have booked a return, how long after have you booked the return flight? Also did they even ask you about a return flight at POE?

I just looked at another option which actually is probably something i would end up doing.

There is a flight to Dublin from East Midlands for £9.99 then a 1 stop from Dublin to phx (stop is in heathrow) for £690.

Bargain!! Lol

I am also really confused how to get my things over there as in do i just take and pay for an extra suitcase. Do I mail it bit by bit lol

I just don't know haha

Check to see if Dublin is your POE, I'm not sure but before I moved I read the POE reviews and some said Dublin was their POE not the US airport. It could be wrong but do some research.

I will not look back on this journey with fond memories, but I will look back knowing that every step was worth it, whatever the outcome.

K-1

Spoiler

I-129f sent - December 30 2015
NOA1 received - January 4 2016
Hard copy received - January 11 2016
RFE notice - February 29 2016 (56 days)
Hard copy received - March 4 2016
RFE receipt - March 09 2016 (9 days)

NOA2 received - March 16 2016 (72 days from NOA1)

NVC received - April 06 2016 (21 days from NOA2)

Medical - April 15 2016

Packet 3 received - April 16 2016

Interview - June 01 2016 (wedding postponed) - APPROVED!!

Visa in hand - June 09 2016

Flying home - June 17 2016 - POE JFK - check out my POE review for details

Wedding - July 14 2016

AOS

I-485 - 08/24/16

NOA1 - 09/01/16 Biometrics - 09/26/16

EAD - 11/04/16

AP - 11/05/16

Card delivered - 11/19/16

Driving license - 11/30/16

New job - 12/01/16

I-485 approved - 02/10/17 - Interview waived

ROC

I-751 - 11/30/18

NOA1 - 01/25/19

Biometrics - 07/01/19

I had heard about that the embassy is moving locations. The forst person will probably be so confused as all the posts will probably be different lol

I am glad other people are saying that they have brought return tickets and not used them too. Can i ask when you have booked a return, how long after have you booked the return flight? Also did they even ask you about a return flight at POE?

I just put some random date in about 4 months away, nobody ever mentioned the return flight, as I said I actually forgot about it, I only remembered when I was clearing out emails!

Timeline

Lol its amazing what you find when you are clearing out! I thought about booking it a few months away for a return if that's what I planned to do. Although I do intent on a stay back in the UK once I have my permit to travel before I get a job. That way my fiance will have PTO saved at work and I we won't have to worry about mine as I will just be starting a job when I go back.

Not sure with the POE and hopefully I will get a direct flight so I can just make PHX my POE and not some other place. I would prefer that as I know PHX airport quite well unlike any others...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.