osisgerd29

Petitioning parent on a Tourist Visa

59 posts in this topic

Okay, I think I see what you are saying.

That is how it works.

Are there logical inconsistencies, yes. Are there ways to game the system, yep.

But the law is what it is, and that is how it is at this point.

Thanks for the lesson.

Dave

Mounat, Aaron, and TransBorderWife....THANKS!

Your generosity is appreciated.

Cheers,

Dave

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Here is the jist of everything.

Matter of Battista and Matter of Cavazos states that USCIS can not deny the AOS of an Immediate Relative of a USC for immigrant intent alone if there are no other issues.

CBP and the US Embassy are not part of this. CBP can still deny entry for immigrant intent. The US Embassy can still deny a visa for immigrant intent.

When a person files to AOS and that person is doing so based on being an Immediate Relative (parent, spouse, or unmarried child under 21), then USCIS can not deny issuing a green card if immigrant intent is the only thing they have.

Filing for AOS as the IR of a USC is the magic spot where the rule changes.

Timeline

People come here looking for LEGAL advice for their situations. They do not come here for soapbox speeches on what is fair. They came here for LEGAL options, not your opinions on what the law should be and how their LEGAL options are "unfair."

"They have already been admitted by CBP" - is your reason for dismissing the issue of fraud!!!

Are you serious, JFH!!!

Your assumption/presumption, while convenient, is not compelling.

Intent can absolutely be found subsequent to port-of-entry.

They can very well be denied AOS, and told to leave and apply for the appropriate immigrant visa.

After three days!!! Get real!

Dave

I'm deadly serious. They have not been proven to have done anything wrong. I was of course being sarcastic when I said that they changed their minds very quickly. It goes without saying that three days is an extremely short space of time to decide to abandon all those strong ties to their home land that they went to great lengths to demonstrate to the CO at interview. But they haven't broken any law IF they didn't lie upon entry.

What's your problem with it anyway? I'd have sympathy for your outburst if you had a particularly long and painful journey to get your wife into the country but I see it took all of 26 days. My journey has taken over 300 days so far and we are not done yet and we have had a previous denial for a UK spouse visa for my husband. We have been trying to be together for two years and I'm not getting my panties in a bunch over a parent wanting to AOS. When your wife has citizenship and her parents visit and ask if they can stay, what will you say? From what I've seen, the Filipino wives seem to be the most prolific at bringing parents in so it's highly likely to happen to you.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline
My specific question is why spell it out so plainly for those yet to come, who ARE planning fraud. Forget if OP here is engaged in fraud because that ship has sailed. What happens to the next person Googling about how to get their parents here quick and easy? If that person comes here and reads "yep, even if they lied every step of the way, they're a-ok, Bravo, good man! you found the secret loophole! They can't touch you now! Best of luck and good job".....

The State Department (in charge of embassies and consulates) and the CBP (in charge of POEs) are well aware of your concerns. Yet the law is what it is and they have to follow it.

Timeline

The OP has been given the correct legal option.

Sorry that some of you don't agree or like that LEGAL option. There is already a thread where you can discuss whether AOS on visitor visas, the VWP, etc. should be allowed. Go there if you want to post.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

Malania Trump worked illegally on a tourist visa. She got an H1B.

2 of Donald Trump's 3 wives are immigrants.

If Donald Trump stops all of this, how is he going to find his next foreign bride?

Immigrant intent is irrelevant once the parent was admitted into the US. Google Matter of Battista and Matter of Cavazos. You are missing a big part of US laws.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Giving people their legal options is furthering fraud? What should we do, ignore people asking for LEGAL help?

Since this is a private website, perhaps you should bring your concerns to the attention of the owners of VJ.

If it doesn't make freaking sense to you, then correct LEGAL advice should not be given. Check.

You'll note my original question was about the cheering on of it. The attitude, is very much "haha good job you made it" which is.... I don't know. Overly permissive perhaps? You can provide answers, obviously but I think it's the whole "good job pulling one over" that is off-putting. THAT is what doesn't make any sense. And instead of ignoring them, you could (should? I don't know that's for the VJ owners) maybe, for the interest of future Googlers, spell out that if (that is a conditional word, meaning that you are not accusing the question asker of anything) they had lied at any point in the process, they were taking a big risk and were definitely committing fraud but since they're here either way here's how to proceed. But doing that gets you thread-banned so go figure.

Plus, no one ever finds it relevant to mention to the question askers that the person undergoing AOS will be effectively stuck in the US for several months. Which for someone who was most assuredly not planning to emigrate, can be a real logistical hurdle, what with all the close ties abroad and everything. Why not give them this information because they are clearly clueless about the process because that could be a really important piece of information? They may not have traveled with their birth certificate, because that something one does not commonly do, and that, too can be a real hurdle. Nope, it's all "atta boy" all the time. And then when people DO bring up logistical hurdles such as this, those concerns often get minimized ("no, AP does not take several months, most people get it in 60 days or less"....which is false but whatever) or the writer gets accused of accusing people of fraud. It's absurd.

The OP has been given the correct legal option.

Sorry that some of you don't agree or like that LEGAL option. There is already a thread where you can discuss whether AOS on visitor visas, the VWP, etc. should be allowed. Go there if you want to post.

Isn't it a TOS violation to tell someone where they can and cannot post?

Marriage/ AOS Timeline:

23 Dec 2015: Legal marriage

23 Jan 2016: Wedding!

23 Jan 2016: "Blizzard of the Century", wedding canceled/rescheduled (thank goodness we were legally married first or we'd have had a big problem!) :sleepy:

24 Jan 2016: Small "civil ceremony" with friends and family who were snowed in with us. December was a bit of a secret and people had traveled internationally and knew we *had* to get married that weekend, and our December legal marriage was nothing but signing a piece of paper at our priest's kitchen table, without any sort of vows etc so this was actually a very special (if not legally significant) day. (L)

16 Apr 2016: Filed for AOS and EAD/AP (We delayed a bit-- no big rush, enjoying the USCIS break)

23 Apr 2016: Wedding! Finally! :luv:

27 Apr 2016: Electronic NOA1 for all 3 :dancing:
29 Apr 2016: NOA1 Hardcopy for all 3
29 Jul 2016: Online service request for late EAD (Day 104)
29 Jul 2016: EAD/AP Approved ~3 hours after online service request
04 Aug 2016: RFE for Green Card (requested medicals/ vaccination record. They already have it). :ranting:
05 Aug 2016: EAD/AP Combo Card arrived! (Day 111)
08 Aug 2016: Congressional constituent request to get guidance on the RFE. Hoping they see they have the form and approve!

K-1 Visa Timeline:

PLEASE NOTE. This timeline was during the period of time when TSC was working on I-129fs and had a huge backlog. The average processing time was 210+ days. This is in no way predictive of your own timeline if you filed during or after April 2015, unless CSC develops a backlog. A backlog is anything above the 5-month goal time listed on USCIS's site

14 Feb 2015: Mailed I-129f to Dallas Lockbox. (L) (Most expensive Valentine's card I've ever sent!)

17 Feb 2015: NOA1 "Received Date"
19 Feb 2015: NOA1 Notice Date
08 Aug 2015: NOA2 email! :luv: (173 days from NOA1)

17 Aug 2015: Sent to NVC

?? Aug 2015: Arrived at NVC

25 Aug 2015: NVC Case # Assigned

31 Aug 2015: Left NVC for Consulate in San Jose

09 Sep 2015: Consulate received :dancing: (32 days from NOA2)

11 Sep 2015: Packet 3 emailed from embassy to me, the petitioner (34 days from NOA2).

18 Sep 2015: Medicals complete

21 Sep 2015: Packet 3 complete, my boss puts a temporary moratorium on all time off due to work emergency :clock:

02 Oct 2015: Work emergency clears up, interview scheduled (soonest available was 5 business days away--Columbus Day was in there)

13 Oct 2015: Interview

13 Oct 2015: VISA APPROVED :thumbs: (236 days from NOA1)

19 Oct 2015: Visa-in-hand

24 Oct 2015: POE !

15 Dec 2015: Fiance's mother's B-2 visa interview: APPROVED! So happy she will be at the wedding! :thumbs:

!

The State Department (in charge of embassies and consulates) and the CBP (in charge of POEs) are well aware of your concerns. Yet the law is what it is and they have to follow it.

Yeah. I'm aware of what the State Department and CBP does but thanks. And that's sort of the broader point here. Implicitly providing a how-to guide to get around those two hurdles.

Marriage/ AOS Timeline:

23 Dec 2015: Legal marriage

23 Jan 2016: Wedding!

23 Jan 2016: "Blizzard of the Century", wedding canceled/rescheduled (thank goodness we were legally married first or we'd have had a big problem!) :sleepy:

24 Jan 2016: Small "civil ceremony" with friends and family who were snowed in with us. December was a bit of a secret and people had traveled internationally and knew we *had* to get married that weekend, and our December legal marriage was nothing but signing a piece of paper at our priest's kitchen table, without any sort of vows etc so this was actually a very special (if not legally significant) day. (L)

16 Apr 2016: Filed for AOS and EAD/AP (We delayed a bit-- no big rush, enjoying the USCIS break)

23 Apr 2016: Wedding! Finally! :luv:

27 Apr 2016: Electronic NOA1 for all 3 :dancing:
29 Apr 2016: NOA1 Hardcopy for all 3
29 Jul 2016: Online service request for late EAD (Day 104)
29 Jul 2016: EAD/AP Approved ~3 hours after online service request
04 Aug 2016: RFE for Green Card (requested medicals/ vaccination record. They already have it). :ranting:
05 Aug 2016: EAD/AP Combo Card arrived! (Day 111)
08 Aug 2016: Congressional constituent request to get guidance on the RFE. Hoping they see they have the form and approve!

K-1 Visa Timeline:

PLEASE NOTE. This timeline was during the period of time when TSC was working on I-129fs and had a huge backlog. The average processing time was 210+ days. This is in no way predictive of your own timeline if you filed during or after April 2015, unless CSC develops a backlog. A backlog is anything above the 5-month goal time listed on USCIS's site

14 Feb 2015: Mailed I-129f to Dallas Lockbox. (L) (Most expensive Valentine's card I've ever sent!)

17 Feb 2015: NOA1 "Received Date"
19 Feb 2015: NOA1 Notice Date
08 Aug 2015: NOA2 email! :luv: (173 days from NOA1)

17 Aug 2015: Sent to NVC

?? Aug 2015: Arrived at NVC

25 Aug 2015: NVC Case # Assigned

31 Aug 2015: Left NVC for Consulate in San Jose

09 Sep 2015: Consulate received :dancing: (32 days from NOA2)

11 Sep 2015: Packet 3 emailed from embassy to me, the petitioner (34 days from NOA2).

18 Sep 2015: Medicals complete

21 Sep 2015: Packet 3 complete, my boss puts a temporary moratorium on all time off due to work emergency :clock:

02 Oct 2015: Work emergency clears up, interview scheduled (soonest available was 5 business days away--Columbus Day was in there)

13 Oct 2015: Interview

13 Oct 2015: VISA APPROVED :thumbs: (236 days from NOA1)

19 Oct 2015: Visa-in-hand

24 Oct 2015: POE !

15 Dec 2015: Fiance's mother's B-2 visa interview: APPROVED! So happy she will be at the wedding! :thumbs:

!

Timeline

You'll note my original question was about the cheering on of it. The attitude, is very much "haha good job you made it" which is.... I don't know. Overly permissive perhaps? You can provide answers, obviously but I think it's the whole "good job pulling one over" that is off-putting. THAT is what doesn't make any sense. And instead of ignoring them, you could (should? I don't know that's for the VJ owners) maybe, for the interest of future Googlers, spell out that if (that is a conditional word, meaning that you are not accusing the question asker of anything) they had lied at any point in the process, they were taking a big risk and were definitely committing fraud but since they're here either way here's how to proceed. But doing that gets you thread-banned so go figure.

Plus, no one ever finds it relevant to mention to the question askers that the person undergoing AOS will be effectively stuck in the US for several months. Which for someone who was most assuredly not planning to emigrate, can be a real logistical hurdle, what with all the close ties abroad and everything. Why not give them this information because they are clearly clueless about the process because that could be a really important piece of information? They may not have traveled with their birth certificate, because that something one does not commonly do, and that, too can be a real hurdle. Nope, it's all "atta boy" all the time. And then when people DO bring up logistical hurdles such as this, those concerns often get minimized ("no, AP does not take several months, most people get it in 60 days or less"....which is false but whatever) or the writer gets accused of accusing people of fraud. It's absurd.

Isn't it a TOS violation to tell someone where they can and cannot post?

It's a TOS violation to derail a thread with side discussions on politics that does not pertain to the OP.

How is it a TOS violation to tell you where you can post? If people need help with a K-1, I will tell them to post there. If people want to discuss running this website or politics, I would tell them to go to the subforums on those subjects.

Please show me where I said you can not post in this thread?

There is a thread where you can discuss the wisdom of allowing people to AOS on visitor visas. Why insist on continuing it here in violation of the TOS?

Edited by aaron2020

This site can, and probably does, serve different people, different ways.

That can include legal options, procedural suggestions, camaraderie, and just plain information...like what things cost, where things are.

It would be great if people shared their views in a civil and respectful manner.

Sadly, there is less of that here than there could be, in my view.

There is a lot of work to do.

We can all do better, I suspect.

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by DaveSana

I think OP probably has their answer now anyway and this thread has derailed quite a bit.

ROC from CR-1 visa (Green Card expiration date was Nov 24th 2016)

Link to the evidence I submitted. Be sure to send evidence spanning your entire marriage (especially for K-1) or as far back as you can. Just one or two bank statements will not cut it. I primarily focused on the two years of living here since I came in on a CR-1. If you don't have the fundamentals (i.e. joint accounts/policies), you can explain why in the covering letter. E.g. "While we do not have joint utilities, we both contribute to them from our joint bank account".

September 26th 2016: I-751 package sent to CSC

September 28th 2016: Package delivered
September 30th 2016: Check cashed
October 3rd 2016: NOA1 received with receipt date of 09/28/16
November 3rd 2016: Biometrics received with appointment date of 11/14/16.
November 14th 2016: Attended biometrics appointment
October 30th 2017: Infopass appointment to get I-551 stamp
February 26th 2018: I-751 case number (aka the NOA1 receipt number) becomes trackable
March 14th 2018: Submitted service request due to being outside of processing time.

March 15th 2018: ROC approved. 535 days (1 year, 5 months and 17 days)

March 29th 2018: Card being produced

April 4th 2018: Card mailed out

April 6th 2018: Card in hand. Has incorrect "resident since" date. Submitted service request on I-751 case (typographical error on permanent resident card) and an I-90 online.

April 2018 - August 7th 2018: Tons of service requests, emails and now senator involvement to get my corrected green card back because what the heck, USCIS. Also some time in May I sent a letter to Potomac telling them I want to withdraw my I-90 since CSC were handling it.

August 8th 2018: Card in production thanks to the direct involvement of Senator Sherrod Brown's team

August 13th 2018: Card mailed

August 15th 2018: Card in hand with correct date. :joy:

October 31st 2018: Potomac sends out a notice stating they have closed out my I-90 per my request. Yay for no duplicate card drama.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

as this thread continues to be sidetracked, and the op has received constructive advice,

this thread is now closed. do not restart this thread.

charles
vj moderation

* ~ * Charles * ~ *

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy.

USE THE REPORT BUTTON INSTEAD OF MESSAGING A MODERATOR!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.