13 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Canada
Timeline

Can the assets of the sponsored immigrant, such as cash deposit in bank, be used to supplement income? If can, what requirements they need to meet?

Thanks for your help!

it depends, what's your shortfall

They can joint sponsor and use assets but then the assets required is 5x.

Only for a spouse or child is the assets 3x and only for the petitioner.

You cannot use your parents assets as your own.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

The previous responses are not quite correct.

First, assets can be used.

Second, regarding the multiplier for assets -

If the intending immigrant is your spouse, then the asset multiple is 3x. If the intending immigrant is not your spouse, then the multiplier is 5x.

Thirdly, regarding shortfall -

If the intending immigrant is your spouse, their assets and yours can be used to cover any income shortfall. Assets from others cannot be used to cover YOUR shortfall.

Any joint sponsor has to cover the full amount for the total household size (their household plus one). You cannot use their assets to cover YOUR shortfall. Joint sponsors have to fully support the total 125% of the poverty guideline TIMES the multiplier for assets.

Fourth, Parental Assets -

The parents would have to be official Joint Sponsors. ("Joint Sponsors" NOT "Co-Sponsors". That is the correct term.)

You cannot simply act as if their assets are yours, and use it to cover YOUR household shortfall (unless you all live together in the same house) They will have to file Form I-864 - Affidavit of Support, as joint sponsors, and provide complete financial documentation, etc.

Hope that helps.

Dave

Edited by DaveSana

Filed: IR-5 Country:
Timeline

Hi guys,

I found the following in I-864 instruction P.9, showing how to fill out Part 7 Use of assets to supplement income:

"Item Numbers 6. - 9. Assets of the Intending Immigrant. You may use the assets of the intending immigrant regardless of where he or she resides. The intending immigrant must provide evidence of such assets with this affidavit......Form I-864A is not required to document the intending immigrant’s assets. ,. "

From my understanding, the sponsored parents are also intending immigrants, so their assets can also be used to supplement income. Am I right?

Since the sponsored parents are neither us citizens nor PR, they can not act as joint sponsors. So they need not fill out I-864 either?

Elle2009,

Several things would be helpful:

(1) If you want specific questions answered here, then describe your situation more fully. Who is immigrating, etc. etc.? There are too many variables that you leave unsaid. Otherwise, you require people to guess, or have to lead you through it all.

(2) Read the Form I-864 instructions. Your answers are there.

(3) Once you have read the instructions, read what was said on this forum. The answers here will likely make more sense then.

Look...it is a detailed, specific process, getting an immigrant visa. Do the work to understand the process. Or you might be sorry you did not later on, like getting stuck in Administrative Processing for months, or even denied.

And remember, nobody here is paid to help you. We are only trying to help each other.

Cheers,

Dave

Edited by DaveSana

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.