joemme

Strength of my O1B Visa petition?(merged)

28 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

While I wait on my response from the VSC about my O1 Visa, I am getting a bit nervous so I was wondering from the knowledge of many of you what you think of my petition and chances based off of yourself and people you know who got approved / RFE's / declined. I hope some can help.

I'm from an island in the Caribbean. I am applying as a Film Producer. Ive only worked professionally in my field for 1 year on my OPT in New York but I was able to accomplish a good bit.

I have:

-1 big (2 page) article in our local newspaper talking about my successes and a feature I will be Producing in the future. I was the feature of that week and interviewed. It was the week of our Film Festival.

-9 really good recommendation letters from successful people in the field I've worked with.

-3 contracts with 3 different production companies with pretty great pay for projects taking up the 3 years.

-2 of the films that I was the Associate Producer on, won awards at film festivals as well as got in to many.

-Produced 2 music videos for a Grammy Award Winning musician.

-Produced a live event video for a semi-known American artist.

-Produced a film where I hired a very well known cinematographer/VFX artist (he worked on films as big as Jupiter's Ascending, Dawn of the Planet Apes, Interstellar et.

-Produced 2 commercials for the New York Film Academy.

-I have also worked as the Associate Producer on a teaser for a film with with well known names attached.

And a good bit more credits in my name etc.

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: EB-1 Visa Country: Germany
Timeline

Hi,

I would say that looks like a strong case with excellent evidence. I went straight to EB-1A but was looking very deep into the O1B route before, so I know the procedure well. It ultimately comes down to your contracts and deal memo once you have convinced in regards of your talent, which you have.

Good luck and keep us updated since most on this forum here is family immigration.

Thank you! Thats good to know. Hope all is well with your EB-1A!

I will keep updated. From USCIS processing times page, if they're pretty accurate, I should hear back some time in January. Fingers crossed!

Hi,

I would say that looks like a strong case with excellent evidence. I went straight to EB-1A but was looking very deep into the O1B route before, so I know the procedure well. It ultimately comes down to your contracts and deal memo once you have convinced in regards of your talent, which you have.

Good luck and keep us updated since most on this forum here is family immigration.

Timeline

Hi,

yes it all worked out and I am in the US already, but I also went for premium processing at USCIS stage, so I was getting a decision faster. Regular could have meant up to 10 months and longer. All I can tell you in regards of O1 USCIS processing times right now is that a friend of mine told me there is a backlog at moment, so that might also affect you. He is also waiting on his O1 decision and can´t leave the country.

I went through consular processing from my home country, which had me do the full NVC path, which took most of the time.

Did you return home or are on hold after your OPT in the US? Are you using a lawyer?

Edited by goblin

Great to hear for you.

I was looking into Premium Processing however my lawyer suggested against it as his experience this year has been that it was more difficult in regards to straight approvals going that route for some reason.

I returned home after OPT so now I am here waiting. It's sucked but I rather wait it out if it means I have a higher chance at approval. When did he apply? I applied October 11th so from looks of it I should hear back by end of January. That would be a 16 weeks which I heard is the norm right now, but who knows.

It's crazy the California Service Center says O1s are taking 2 weeks to process yet the Vermont Service Center is 3 1/2 months! If only they'd split the work load.

Hi,

yes it all worked out and I am in the US already, but I also went for premium processing at USCIS stage, so I was getting a decision faster. Regular could have meant up to 10 months and longer. All I can tell you in regards of O1 USCIS processing times right now is that a friend of mine told me there is a backlog at moment, so that might also affect you. He is also waiting on his O1 decision and can´t leave the country.

I went through consular processing from my home country, which had me do the full NVC path, which took most of the time.

Did you return home or are on hold after your OPT in the US? Are you using a lawyer?

Timeline

He is EAST coast like you, so USCIS in Vermont. Not sure WHEN he filed, but I assume around the same time. And its also not his first O1, he got a bunch before. Over 12 weeks is certainly very long. But if your lawyer was against PP even though you have a strong case, then there must be a reason.

The wait can be grueling, I know that for sure... :clock:

Thats for sure! It is hard.

Let me know if you find out any updates on your friend. Always helps when you know if someone who submitted around the same time gets through. Hoping USCIS is accurate on timing with my case. My contract with first Production Company starts January 5th so thats going to have to be pushed back, hopefully not too far.

Timeline

I totally understand your frustration... I am a film music composer an I have lost two great job opportunities this year already, because not being done with my green card and I was also outside the country. It was even full time employments, which is very rare to find in our industry.

But we have to deal with the bureaucracy.

Best luck with that and looking forward to hear good news from you soon! :rolleyes:

Update:

I got a RFE today 12/12 :( It was mailed out today so I should receive scanned copy from my lawyer this week.

This really sucks and has me terrified. It was an early response however which I am grateful for not having to wait till January to find this out.

SO now is to see what more they require from me and try my best to prove myself.

Hi all,

I just checked my status today for my O1B Visa, it says a Request for Additional Evidence has been mailed today 12/12 so I am waiting on that notice to see what they want from me. They received my petition on 10/11 and I got the RFE today 12/12. This is 2 months. The regular processing has been 3 1/2 months so they're early on mine which is interesting.

Does a RFE normally mean they're considering denying my case or do I still stand a good chance at approval? I see many people seem to get approval after responding to RFE and my lawyer said once we provide what they want I should be fine, but I am terrified and would like to hear from others experience / knowledge.

Got the RFE Notice with what they need.

It is very detailed and everything that I can provide except for one which I know how to back up.

Will update once final answer comes in which will end up being same January or February. I got quite lucky they made first decision early for timing wise!

Timeline

Well good news at least that you know how to address it. Without revealing to much, but would you mind giving some info on what they ask for in regards to the credits you already stated above?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Merged update/continuation to the main thread. Please don't start more then one thread for the same topic.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.