firebird00

Divorce few weeks after filing joint I-751, Help!

67 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Qatar
Timeline

Hello everyone out there,

My wife and I filed a joint i-751 petition 2 weeks ago because we were in the 90 days period, our marriage was going down but we were not sure we wanted to divorce, so we filed a joint petition. Now we are heading to divorce, unfortunately, she already filed. I received the NOA1 last week.

I am looking to move out and change my address on the USCIS website, we expect the divorce will be finalized sometime around the end of the year or the beginning of 2017.

I want to use the divorce waiver, but my question is, do I have to file a whole new application with all the supporting evidence? and pay a new fee again? and receive another NOA1? If so, can I ask them to return the old application to me so I can use the same evidence and just print and fill a new i-751 form? or can I ask them to amend my application to divorce waiver?

Please your help is highly appreciated

Thank you.

:girlwerewolf2xn: Ana (L) Felix :wub:

K1 March Filer 2016

Interview Approved August 19, 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

DISCLAIMER: Please excuse my ABC & Gramm@r I am not an editor...

Timeline

Why did you file with her after all the issues you were having ???

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/594281-abusive-wife/page-1

Because we were going to counseling, couple and personal. I was not going to divorce her just so I can file alone.

Hello everyone out there,

My wife and I filed a joint i-751 petition 2 weeks ago because we were in the 90 days period, our marriage was going down but we were not sure we wanted to divorce, so we filed a joint petition. Now we are heading to divorce, unfortunately, she already filed. I received the NOA1 last week.

I am looking to move out and change my address on the USCIS website, we expect the divorce will be finalized sometime around the end of the year or the beginning of 2017.

I want to use the divorce waiver, but my question is, do I have to file a whole new application with all the supporting evidence? and pay a new fee again? and receive another NOA1? If so, can I ask them to return the old application to me so I can use the same evidence and just print and fill a new i-751 form? or can I ask them to amend my application to divorce waiver?

Please your help is highly appreciated

Thank you.

Read here:

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/as-conditional-resident-i-divorce-while-i-751-pending.html

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Laws/Memoranda/Static_Files_Memoranda/2009/i-751_Filed_%20Prior_Termination_3apr09.pdf

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Timeline

The information are vague, not very clear. Some articles say to send a letter now asking to amend your application to be with divorce waiver, some say keep it as it is and when you get your divorce decree just mail it with a letter explaining what happened, and an article suggest to withdraw the petition and file a whole new one.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Lebanon
Timeline

It sounds like a good idea, to move out and change your address, then to wait till divorce is finalized and after that send USCIS a copy with letter explaining that you got divorced. But I don't know if they will accept that, maybe they want a whole new i-751 with a new check.

The immigration process caused me PTSD.

Timeline

This is what uscis website says:

If You Are In Divorce Proceedings But Are Not Yet Divorced

If you are still married, but legally separated and/or in pending divorce or annulment proceedings, and:

• You filed a waiver request. We will issue a request for evidence (RFE) specifically asking for a copy of the final divorce decree or annulment (if applicable).
  • You filed a Form I-751 petition jointly. We will issue a request for evidence (RFE) specifically asking for a copy of the final divorce decree or annulment and a statement that you would like to have your joint filing petition treated as a waiver.

Now the question is, how would they know that we were in divorce proceedings? and, they will issue a RFE asking for final divorce decree and a statement that I would like to have my petition treated as a waiver? That is very unclear.

Timeline

This is what uscis website says:

If You Are In Divorce Proceedings But Are Not Yet Divorced

If you are still married, but legally separated and/or in pending divorce or annulment proceedings, and:

• You filed a waiver request. We will issue a request for evidence (RFE) specifically asking for a copy of the final divorce decree or annulment (if applicable).
  • You filed a Form I-751 petition jointly. We will issue a request for evidence (RFE) specifically asking for a copy of the final divorce decree or annulment and a statement that you would like to have your joint filing petition treated as a waiver.

Now the question is, how would they know that we were in divorce proceedings? and, they will issue a RFE asking for final divorce decree and a statement that I would like to have my petition treated as a waiver? That is very unclear.

I think this is what it means; they will issue a RFE asking for final divorce decree IF you were legally separated, and a statement that you would like to have your joint filling petition treated as a wavier IF you filed jointly then divorce happened or you entered a divorce proceeding.

Timeline

I think this is what it means; they will issue a RFE asking for final divorce decree IF you were legally separated, and a statement that you would like to have your joint filling petition treated as a wavier IF you filed jointly then divorce happened or you entered a divorce proceeding.

That makes some sense, but it's still kinda vague. Why don't they just make a clear paragraph about such situation, lol.

Timeline

That makes some sense, but it's still kinda vague. Why don't they just make a clear paragraph about such situation, lol.

I don't think you are in a bad place, you didn't break any law at least. This this something can be easily fixed. Worst case scenario is that you re-submit the petition, but I don't see that happening.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

You immigrated to the US, got married and divorced all within 90 days?!?!?! I would think you need some pretty strong bona fida evidence for that waiver.

And you should send a letter informing USCIS of your separation and pending divorce. You're suppose to keep USCIS updated on any changes.

Met online October 2010

Engaged December 31st 2011

heart.gifMarried May 14th 2013 heart.gif

USCIS Stage

September 8th 2014 - Filed I-130 with Nebraska Service Center

September 16th 2014 - NOA1 received

March 2nd 2015 - NOA2 received :dancing:

NVC Stage

March 28th 2015 - Choice of agent complete & AOS fee paid

April 17th 2015 - IV fee paid

May 1st 2015 - Sent in IV application

May 12th 2015 - Sent in AOS and IV documents

May 18th 2015 - Scan Date

June 18th 2015 - Checklist received

June 22nd 2015 - Checklist response sent to NVC

June 25th 2015 - Put for Supervisor Review

Sept 15th 2015 - Request help from Texas US Senator Cornyn and his team

Sept 23rd 2015 - Our case is moved from supervisor review to NVC's team for dealing with Senator requests

Nov 4th 2015 - CASE COMPLETE!!!! :dancing:

Embassy Stage

Dec 16th 2015 - Medical exam

Dec 21st 2015 - Interview

Dec 21st 2015 - 221(g) issued at interview for updated forms

Jan 13th 2016 - Mailed our reply to the 221(g) to the US Embassy, received and CEAC updated the next morning

Jan 20th 2016 - Embassy require more in-depth info on asset for i-864

Feb 1st 2016 - Sent more in-depth info on assets as requested. Received the next morning

Feb 16th 2016 - Visa has been issued :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:

In the US

April 5th 2016 - POE Newark. No questions asked.

April 14th 2016 - SSN received

May 10th 2016 - First day at my new job :dancing:

May 27th 2016 - Green Card received

June 7th 2016 - Got my Texas driver's license

I'm sorry about your situation with divorce. As far as I know, when you get divorced, the joint petition that you had filed only needs to be "adjusted", you do not need to file a new one (and you cannot, since the 90-days period ended). You are doing everything right, but before you submit any changes to USCIS, I would hire a good immigration attorney with experience in this type of cases, or at lease consult one, imho.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Germany
Timeline

You immigrated to the US, got married and divorced all within 90 days?!?!?! I would think you need some pretty strong bona fida evidence for that waiver.

He's filing for I-751, Removal of Conditions. He has been a permanent resident for two years. With the "90 day period" he means the I-751 filing period before his conditional GC expires.

K1 Visa
Feb. 29, 2012: I-129F sent
March 8, 2012: NOA1 (VSC)
August 30, 2012: NOA2
Oct. 1, 2012: Packet 3 received
Nov. 3, 2012: Packet 4 received
Nov. 15, 2012: Interview - approved!
Jan. 18, 2013: POE New York Seaport
Feb. 2, 2013: Wedding

AOS
March 6, 2013: AOS Package sent
March 12, 2013: I-485, I-765, I-131 NOA's
March 29, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

May 10, 2013: EAD/AP approved
Sept. 5, 2013: "Potential Interview Waiver Case" letter received
Nov. 2, 2013: AOS approved (no interview)

ROC
Aug. 4, 2015: I-751 sent
Aug. 6, 2015: NOA1 (CSC)
Sept. 4, 2015: Biometrics Appointment
Feb. 10, 2016: ROC approved

Dual Citizenship
Aug. 26, 2016: BBG application sent (permit to retain German citizenship)
Nov. 21, 2016: BBG approval notice received (p/u at German Honorary Consulate, OKC: Feb. 6, 2017)
Dec. 8, 2016: N-400 sent
Dec. 12, 2016: Priority Date (NBC)

Jan. 9, 2017: Biometrics Appointment

Aug. 31, 2017: In-Line for Interview

Sept. 6, 2017: Interview Scheduled

Oct. 16, 2017: Interview

Oct. 25, 2017: Oath Appointment Letter received

Nov. 1, 2017: Oath Ceremony

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.