Jenn!

The Overcrowded Lifeboat

19 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline
It's been interesting to read the responses here.

The issue of the captain going down with the ship aside, I find this to be quite the moral dilemma. In my assessment of the situation I am assuming that everyone would have died had the captain not thrown the weakest overboard. The story says that "after days of hard rowing" they were found and rescued. I assumed that meant that the hard rowing was necessary to their survival. I also assumed that the captain must have been a strong rower himself, since he was exempt from going overboard. If these assumptions are correct, then I'm having a hard time seeing what other choice the captain had, and I think he should be applauded for saving the lives that he did rather than condemned for the lives that he had to sacrifice.

The only thing that makes me pause is that it seems the unanimous opinion of the others was that they all just die together. I think that makes the issue even more complicated.

I think where I disagree with you is that you are assuming that had they thrown the captain overboard....(which I think would have been just).......that the others couldn't have thought of a way to save themselves without him.

I find it hard to believe that among so many....not a one could have figured out a way to save themselves, and maybe would have thought of something even better, where so many wouldn't have been sacrificed to save a few. It's possible someone else might have come up with a better plan, had they been given the opportunity.

And regardless.....................I still firmly believe , that the captain was responsible for hitting the iceberg, and should have volunteered to be thrown over. And in fact, had he more courage and conviction......he would have just gone down with the ship when it sank.

Maybe he was a strong rower.........but it's also possible that he just used his position of authority to save himself. We'll never know..............

Apparently, the rest of the people on the lifeboat were good at following orders.....and just did what they were told. To me, it appears the only reason the captain stayed alive, was because he used his position to save himself.

I don't see the captain as a hero....but a coward.......and responsible for their predicament in the first place. How can he be a hero when he himself, most likely was responsible for the ship hitting the iceberg to begin with?

April 16, 2004 Married in Saint Augustine, Florida.

March 7, 2005 Wife left for Istanbul to serve J-1 2 year HRR. Was a very bad day at Black Rock.

May 23, 2006 USCIS receives application for I-130

June 12, 2006 Noa1

Sept 7, 2006 Noa2 I-130 approved

Oct 10 ,2006 Received fee bill from NVC

Nov 13 ,2006 Received Packet 2 DS-230

Jan 4, 2007 Mailed Packet 2 to NVC

Jan 22, 2007 RFE from NVC aaarrrrgggghhh!!!!!!!!

Feb 28, 2007 NVC received "checklist" response and original documents for the RFE

March 13, 2007 Case completed at NVC! Whoooohoooo!! Ankara, here we come!!!!

March 15, 2007 Case fowarded to Ankara Embassy

April 4, 2007 Interview. Wife gets handed the little green paper. Not good. Need to submit a few more things.

April 9, 2007 Items mailed back to Embassy. Crossing fingers, rubbing the "rabbit's foot", etc,..that this may FINALLY be the end.

April 14, 2007 Visa delivered! Wife is finally going to be on her way back home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

April 20, 2007 Wife enters through JFK. The days of grabbing my dinners at the WalMart deli....are now officially over!!!

Stay tuned to this channel for further updates..........

It's been interesting to read the responses here.

The issue of the captain going down with the ship aside, I find this to be quite the moral dilemma. In my assessment of the situation I am assuming that everyone would have died had the captain not thrown the weakest overboard. The story says that "after days of hard rowing" they were found and rescued. I assumed that meant that the hard rowing was necessary to their survival. I also assumed that the captain must have been a strong rower himself, since he was exempt from going overboard. If these assumptions are correct, then I'm having a hard time seeing what other choice the captain had, and I think he should be applauded for saving the lives that he did rather than condemned for the lives that he had to sacrifice.

The only thing that makes me pause is that it seems the unanimous opinion of the others was that they all just die together. I think that makes the issue even more complicated.

Jenn- I agree its a great post. What separates us in our conclusions I think is this- you have a much more pragmatic approach to the reality of the situation. Remember the nanny in Babel leaving the children to go find help? I think my approach is to take a much more idealistic or noble - perhaps emotional? approach. There are things that are right to do and I would have to make a decision based on this hoping that the conclusion would turn out better than the reality of the facts might appear. INn the end if we all perish, then we perished doing the right thing.

or maybe its simply that I do not have the stomach to accept that it is best to save a few lives at the expensive of sacrificing the weak.

Perhaps the best answer to this problem is not to punish the Captain, but to go after the company who did not adequately provide for all passengers. ;)

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

I'd never get on a ship that doesn't have enough lifeboats.

Problem was that standards for ships at that time were only updated on occasion when a new tonnage-level "barrier" was breached.

Even as late as 1912, this was the case--the highest number standardised then was for a 10,000-tonne ship--only revised when the 46,000-plus-tonne Titanic sank on her maiden voyage!

I support LS's statement that (for the 1842 case) the captain should have gone down with the ship.

Edited by CherryXS

2005/07/10 I-129F filed for Pras

2005/11/07 I-129F approved, forwarded to NVC--to Chennai Consulate 2005/11/14

2005/12/02 Packet-3 received from Chennai

2005/12/21 Visa Interview Date

2006/04/04 Pras' entry into US at DTW

2006/04/15 Church Wedding at Novi (Detroit suburb), MI

2006/05/01 AOS Packet (I-485/I-131/I-765) filed at Chicago

2006/08/23 AP and EAD approved. Two down, 1.5 to go

2006/10/13 Pras' I-485 interview--APPROVED!

2006/10/27 Pras' conditional GC arrives -- .5 to go (2 yrs to Conditions Removal)

2008/07/21 I-751 (conditions removal) filed

2008/08/22 I-751 biometrics completed

2009/06/18 I-751 approved

2009/07/03 10-year GC received; last 0.5 done!

2009/07/23 Pras files N-400

2009/11/16 My 46TH birthday, Pras N-400 approved

2010/03/18 Pras' swear-in

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As long as the LORD's beside me, I don't care if this road ever ends.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline

If I were the prosecuter I would have pointed out this: 1) The lifeboat was only threatened by the storm so 2) The captain DID NOT know for sure whether or not anyone would have drowned. So tossing people overboard based upon a possibly incorrect assumption that everyone would die if you did not do so was wrong and therefore murder.

Edited by JohnK