DanDeibler

K1, Looking for advice after stressful and confusing embassy interview

61 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I am in the US. My fiancée had her embassy interview in Manila today for K-1 visa. I felt like our case would be an easy one to approve and she brought lots of extra documentation to the interview just in case. During the interview, they gave her a hard time about our relationship, like how my visit was only 5 days and if I loved her, why didn't I stay longer and that sort of thing. She showed them a stack of selected Skype conversations between us and that seemed to help.

They didn't tell her she was approved or denied, but said they might contact her for more information. They did not give her a 221g or anything. The only things they gave her were a pamphlet on domestic violence and instructions to verify the address for visa delivery at ustraveldocs. CEAC lists our case status as Administrative Processing. Before she left, the lady at the counter told her we could send them more evidence so it doesn't get denied.

This was different from the interviews that I've read about. It seems usually you are told if you are approved before you leave, or given a 221g to submit missing documents.

She has CFO tomorrow but she's very stressed and worried about the visa approval.

Has anyone here had a similar experience? Or does anyone have any advice?

Our timeline: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=232065

P.S. There were other things about the interview process that went poorly and added to the stress for her, but they were to do with getting fingerprints and being told to move to a different queue and then back so she was forced to waste hours and go from first to last in line.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Your fiance may or may not end up in AP, it is hard to tell based upon what you have described

You are not always provided a 221g

You can try writing an email to the embassy in a day or two and see their response

Spoiler

Married December 19, 2014

I-130 Petition sent January 14, 2015
NOA1 date January 20, 2015 (NSC)

NOA2 date May 28, 2015 :dance::dance::dance:

Mailed to NVC June 4, 2015

NVC Received June 10, 2015

NVC Case Number Assigned June 23, 2015

NVC AoS Invoice via Mail June 24, 2015

NVC Selected Agent Over Phone June 30, 2015 (Unable to logon to CEAC)

NVC IV Invoice via email received July 1, 2015

NVC AoS/IV Package Mailed July 2, 2015

NVC AoS & IV Fee Paid Online (CEAC is working) July 6. 2015

NVC Document Scan Date July 6, 2015

NCV AoS & IV Fee marked as paid in CEAC July, 7 2015

NVC DS 260 Completed July 8, 2015

NVC CC July 30, 2015 (24 days after scan date, about 2 months post NOA2)

Interview Scheduled on August 26, 2015

Interview P4 Email Received August 27, 2015

Medical in Islamabad September 2, 2015

Interview Date September 22, 2015 CANCELLED (Embassy is Over scheduled) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Interview Scheduled on September 10, 2015

Interview Date October 14, 2015 APPROVED

Visa Issued October 16, 2015, 9 months start to finish

POE JFK October 26, 2015

GC in Hand Jan 8, 2016

RoC I-751 NOA1 August 31, 2017 (Vermont Service Center)

Biometrics October 2, 2017

I551 Stamp in Passport August 2, 2018

18 Month Extension Letter August 3, 2018

Applied for Naturalization N-400 Online July 30, 2018

Biometrics August 23, 2018

10 year GC is in production September 17, 2018

There might be something in your case they are not sure of. If your fiance showed any type of weakness in her answers, ie giving answers and not sure (confidence) of herself, short visit by you, not having good solid evidence (pictures of the two of you together, holding hands, couple stuff, family gathering, pictures with future in laws etc).

They normally do not tell you if you have passed or not. Keeping her passport is a good sign that they are leaving the file open for additional review and possibly a 221g. They normally do not give 221(g) at the end of the interview. Usually it's emailed to her. She should keep an eye out for it as it will arrive in a day or two. Check her spam folder as others have reported finding it there.

Once you get the 221(g) be sure to follow the instructions and load up on evidence that I spoke about above it that is the subject of the email.

For CFO. She has to be strong. She has to know all about your relationship. She has to look the person in the eye when answering. If she is timid in any way she is "shark bait". They have trick questions which I address in my website. You have to instill in her a strong sense of confidence. I can't tell you of many who had problems with CFO because they are timid. Don't let it happen to her. Be prepared with the things I talk about at my website. Link is below at the red twisting arrow.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

If she received the IMBRA pamphlet and the paper with ustraveldocs website, she is most likely approved. Unless you go through Step 5 then you got missing docs.

I had my interview today and double check with the lady from the embassy. Thats what she told me.

Previous U.S. Visa/Trips
03-10-2014 : B1 issued date
03-24-2015 : B1/B2 issued date
02-26-2016 : Visited my aunt in Corpus Christi
02-27-2016 : Meet Ryan and he asked me out 
03-30-2016 : He proposed before I left U.S.
04-01-2016 : I left U.S. I wish I had enough days to marry him.
But, I have a very important business meeting to physically attend in Cebu on 04/04. I also have a business trip due in Japan for May 2016. 
Circumstances lead me to K-1. 
K1 - Journey
Spoiler

04-22-2016 : Sent I-129F Packet
07-20-2016 : Received NOA2
08-01-2016 : NVC Case # assigned
08-25-2016 : Interview Date and APPROVED!!! 
09-03-2016 : VOH
AOS - Journey
Spoiler

12-14-2016 : POE

12-30-2016 : Wedding Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
01-20-2017 : Sent I-485, I-765, I-131 Packet
01-24-2017 : NOA1 Received Date
02-03-2017 : Received NOA1 Hard Copy
02-04-2017 : Received Biometrics Appointment Scheduled on 02/17
02-08-2017 : Completed Biometrics
04-22-2017 : EAD Update - Card in Production
04-27-2017 : Received EAD & AP Approval Notice
05-01-2017 : Received EAD & AP Combo Card
05-01-2017 : Received EAD & AP Combo Card
11-17-2017 : I-485 Approved Date
11-25-2017 : I-485 Approved Notice Received
11-27-2017 : GC Received at the mailbox. No text/email notification. USCIS Case Status is still at "Fingerprint Fee Received" 

Filed: Timeline

Thank you all so much for your responses. Based on what I've read from you all, I think I'll send the embassy an email asking if they need any additional evidence for our relationship, and briefly describing our relationship and how we spend nearly every moment, when we're awake and I'm not at work, on video call with Skype (she even sits in my cup holder when I am driving to work so we can talk and sing and laugh and stuff during my commute) and basically briefly reassure them that we are deeply in love and serious about spending the rest of our lives together. I'll say that I can find more Skype logs to send if they need them, but mention that we're hoping not to delay things if we don't need to. We were hoping we'd be able to be together for her birthday.

By the way, CFO seminar and interview went well. She had a much more pleasant and easy experience with CFO than she did with the embassy interview. Her only complaint about CFO was that it took longer than she expected (lots of waiting) and barely made it back to the hotel in time for checkout. She was very happy with the CFO experience.

Thanks again to everyone who offered advice and information. It helped make us not as stressed and gave us some idea of what to do next. :)

We still haven't made it through all of this yet, so if anyone else can offer advice or share their experience, we'd be very grateful. You guys are awesome. :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

There might be something in your case they are not sure of. If your fiance showed any type of weakness in her answers, ie giving answers and not sure (confidence) of herself, short visit by you, not having good solid evidence (pictures of the two of you together, holding hands, couple stuff, family gathering, pictures with future in laws etc).

They normally do not tell you if you have passed or not. Keeping her passport is a good sign that they are leaving the file open for additional review and possibly a 221g. They normally do not give 221(g) at the end of the interview. Usually it's emailed to her. She should keep an eye out for it as it will arrive in a day or two. Check her spam folder as others have reported finding it there.

Once you get the 221(g) be sure to follow the instructions and load up on evidence that I spoke about above it that is the subject of the email.

For CFO. She has to be strong. She has to know all about your relationship. She has to look the person in the eye when answering. If she is timid in any way she is "shark bait". They have trick questions which I address in my website. You have to instill in her a strong sense of confidence. I can't tell you of many who had problems with CFO because they are timid. Don't let it happen to her. Be prepared with the things I talk about at my website. Link is below at the red twisting arrow.

I'm the fiancée, I was confident with my answers. Everything was fine. The only thing that made the interviewer change his tone and flow was after he asked how long my fiancé stayed when he visited. As soon as I said the dates (I didn't even buckle), he exclaimed about how short it was. And that was it. He says he couldn't imagine any reason why my fiancé wouldn't have stayed any longer than that (implying that perhaps he doesn't really love me or isn't really serious). The interviewer didn't even bother to look more/read more on our file (unlike how the other interviewers were doing since we could see and hear and observe all of them as we stood in line) or ask more inquiring questions about our relationship. I couldn't help but feel that the particular interviewer I had was either doing a half-assed work or was just hurrying off for lunch break (as I was moved as last in line, along with 4 unlucky applicants, due to some faulty lining system that an "aid" of the embassy had at that time). His final words were even vague. He went from "we'll contact you if we need more evidence." to "I think this is good enough." after I handed him more photos of us, tickets, package/mail receipts, and 20 pages of printed skype conversations between me and my fiancé. So as I felt his answer wasn't clear enough, I went back to USEM to the 221g line after lunch (even though I was not told to do so) and only got clearer instructions from the Filipina lady on the window.

CFO was easy and fun. The interviewer I had probed more about my relationship with my fiancé in a short amount of time and was very satisfied with my answers.

I'm the fiancée, I was confident with my answers. Everything was fine. The only thing that made the interviewer change his tone and flow was after he asked how long my fiancé stayed when he visited. As soon as I said the dates (I didn't even buckle), he exclaimed about how short it was. And that was it. He says he couldn't imagine any reason why my fiancé wouldn't have stayed any longer than that (implying that perhaps he doesn't really love me or isn't really serious). The interviewer didn't even bother to look more/read more on our file (unlike how the other interviewers were doing since we could see and hear and observe all of them as we stood in line) or ask more inquiring questions about our relationship. I couldn't help but feel that the particular interviewer I had was either doing a half-assed work or was just hurrying off for lunch break (as I was moved as last in line, along with 4 unlucky applicants, due to some faulty lining system that an "aid" of the embassy had at that time). His final words were even vague. He went from "we'll contact you if we need more evidence." to "I think this is good enough." after I handed him more photos of us, tickets, package/mail receipts, and 20 pages of printed skype conversations between me and my fiancé. So as I felt his answer wasn't clear enough, I went back to USEM to the 221g line after lunch (even though I was not told to do so) and only got clearer instructions from the Filipina lady on the window.

CFO was easy and fun. The interviewer I had probed more about my relationship with my fiancé in a short amount of time and was very satisfied with my answers.

Some of veterans here have see a lot of "weird stuff" when it comes to the interview. The one thing we know is that typically, when they come to the window and begin your interview they pretty much know which way they are going with their decision. Your there for "the body language" so to say. They just want to see the commitment and that this is not a scam. I can't tell you why he was a jerk only that he is human and may be having a bad day. We all have bad days from time to time.

From what you have said above, I think you are fine. It's best now to just wait and follow your visa progress and see what is taking place. Keep and eye on your email for any additional correspondence. Best right now to sit and wait. Sending more "evidence" may just muddy the waters unless you receive a 221(g) then you must respond to what evidence they are looking for. By way of keeping your visa and not returning it, that is a great sign that you passed.

Here are the next steps:

TRACK YOUR VISA/PASSPORT AT THE EMBASSY

https://ceac.state.gov/IV/Login.aspx

https://ceac.state.gov/CEACStatTracker/Status.aspx?eQs=o/iS8zDpeAKjMWCuebHqOw==

2GO CUSTOMER SERVICE FOR CHECKING DELIVERY

2Go customer service hotline (+632) 5287-136 is available Monday to Friday 8:00 am to 7:00 pm and Saturday 8:00 am to 5:00 pm.

TRACK YOUR PASSPORT/VISA THROUGH 2GO

http://supplychain.2...trace/index.asp Enter your MNL number or passport number or UID number off the embassy confirmation letter (on line confirmation page by bar code).

Edited by Greenbaum
Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Removal of Conditions

Timeline

Hi, Dan!

Wow! I'm sorry to hear that she had such a stressful interview! That's pretty obnoxious saying that the short visit made him question your love. Some of us have real lives we have to live back home, and taking weeks off at a time isn't an option!

Anyway, thanks also to Greenbaum for the reminder about being confident in the interview. I'm planning to be there for the interview with my sweet fiancee anyway, but I can see where she might be easily intimidated by some of those badgering questions. We'll work on that beforehand. :)

Joel

Please check out my music video for "Bright Side of the World", the song I wrote for my fiancee. You can watch the video on YouTube here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKu3SvqCBfg

Thanks for listening! :)

Joel

Timeline

Hi, Dan!

Wow! I'm sorry to hear that she had such a stressful interview! That's pretty obnoxious saying that the short visit made him question your love. Some of us have real lives we have to live back home, and taking weeks off at a time isn't an option!

Anyway, thanks also to Greenbaum for the reminder about being confident in the interview. I'm planning to be there for the interview with my sweet fiancee anyway, but I can see where she might be easily intimidated by some of those badgering questions. We'll work on that beforehand. :)

Joel

Word of advice to your fiancee, it's better if she can be there as early as she can for her batch. I observed that the interviewers seem to have a knack for hurrying up for lunch time. It's a bad idea to be last in the interview line. It's probably because they're already spent from all the other applicants. Also, if the person in charge of the interview line tells you she needs a number of applicants for a new interviewer's window, decline if you can. I had the "luck" of being pulled out of my place in our line along with 3 others right when we were supposed to be next. We were stuck waiting at this new window while someone with quite a troublesome case was taking ages to interview and we ended up being the last 4 to be interviewed in our batch because the line lady couldn't understand what we were telling her that she can do instead of just making us 4 wait there while others who were behind in line of us finish first.

Timeline

Fiancee here (shared account). When the interviewer reacted to my fiance's short visit and that being the only ground for him to think our relationship is doubtful, I was very offended. I held off my tears and kept a straight face. I wasn't offended or sad about not getting a visa, I was offended for him implying something towards my fiance's intentions and our relationship all because of the short visit. If he had asked me more questions about our relationship and I stuttered and buckled in answering them, then I know I'm the one to blame. But he didn't. Here's what I can remember from my interview...

Part where the Interviewer started asking about our relationship:

Interviewer: Where did the two of you meet?

Me: At an art website.
Interviewer: What’s the name of the website?
Me: Deviantart
Interviewer: Deviantart?
Me: Yes.
Interviewer: So how long have you two known each other?
Me: 5 years. Since May 1, 2011.
Interviewer: How long have you been a couple?
Me: We started dating this year.
Interviewer: Has he come to visit you?
Me: Yes. Just earlier this year.
Interviewer: Oh so once.
Interviewer: How long was he here?
Me: From March 17-21.

Interviewer: So he was only with you for FOUR days?!
Interviewer: Why only four days?!
Me: We weren’t able to consider the days he’d be up on air. He was actually whining during our time together how he wished he booked for longer.
Interviewer: Uhuh. I’ll have to look into this more. We’ll contact you if we need more evidence. *is hurrying off and was about to leave just like that*
Me: I’m sorry, but why? What for?
Interviewer: *still hurrying and a bit disoriented* I just find it WEIRD that he’d only stay with you for FOUR days. Do you have more evidence of relationship with you? Like more photos, chat logs…? Does he send you money?
Me: Yes. *Hands them over* I also have tickets from our trip together and mail receipts and western union receipt. He sent me money for all the processes we need to do for this. Other than that I always reject it whenever he wants to send me anything extra, even gifts.
Interviewer: Yes, well you don’t need that, but some relationships are like that. But not everyone’s. *talking about the money part*

*Just quickly scans over the stuff I handed to him, gave me back the extra pictures I handed over to him and starts packing up*
Interviewer: Okay, I think this will be good enough. Here’s your pamphlet *talks about calling 911 for emergency*
Interviewer: Just remember, you DON’T have to stay in a BAD relationship just to keep your visa.
Me: *finds it odd about the words he specified as I didn’t hear the other interviewers doing/saying it the same way but I smiled and took the pamphlet*
Me: Umm so are we good?
Interviewer: Yea. I just find it weird that he only stayed for 4 days.
Me: Well, another thing was I didn’t want him to be off from work for so long, so if you check it, some of the days we were together fell on the weekends.

Interviewer: I just don’t think there’s any reason for anyone to not want to stay any longer with the woman they want to marry.
Me: … *feeling offended for my fiance, but I just kept a straight face*
Interviewer: Anyway, *hands me the paper that has the link for ustraveldocs* you can check your email there for the mailing address of where your visa will be sent.
Me: Alright. Is there any estimate on how long it would take for the visa to be sent?
Interviewer: Hmm. Around a week.
Me: Okay.
Interviewer: *Nods and leaves hurriedly*

-End of Interview-

That most certainly was a weird interview. I think your going to be fine. It's hard to explain his actions.

Keep your faith the two of you are going to have a wonderful life together. Save travels.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

Removal of Conditions

why is it so weird about the interview?

If he is dating a USC woman locally, would he be so quick to marry her in just 4 days together physically?

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Timeline

why is it so weird about the interview?

If he is dating a USC woman locally, would he be so quick to marry her in just 4 days together physically?

It's not like they just met and then four days later decided they were going to get married! They had already spent hundreds (or even thousands) of hours communicating through Skype and other channels before their physical visit.

Being in this same situation myself, I would argue that the hundreds of hours of virtual interaction are much better proof of true love than the physical time together. Being apart physically forces us to connect with each other emotionally, mentally, and spiritually. It's impossible for us to mistake physical passion for true love, which many couples do when they are together physically all the time.

The beautiful physical connection in person is the icing on the cake. Yes, it's delicious, but it isn't the true substance of the relationship. That true substantial loving relationship can only come through heart-level connection, which is the connection we are forced to make when we have only virtual interaction.

Joel

Please check out my music video for "Bright Side of the World", the song I wrote for my fiancee. You can watch the video on YouTube here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gKu3SvqCBfg

Thanks for listening! :)

Joel

It's not like they just met and then four days later decided they were going to get married! They had already spent hundreds (or even thousands) of hours communicating through Skype and other channels before their physical visit.

Being in this same situation myself, I would argue that the hundreds of hours of virtual interaction are much better proof of true love than the physical time together. Being apart physically forces us to connect with each other emotionally, mentally, and spiritually. It's impossible for us to mistake physical passion for true love, which many couples do when they are together physically all the time.

The beautiful physical connection in person is the icing on the cake. Yes, it's delicious, but it isn't the true substance of the relationship. That true substantial loving relationship can only come through heart-level connection, which is the connection we are forced to make when we have only virtual interaction.

Joel

I would have to disagree with your sayings.. Maybe you are a romantic person at heart.

Communicating online just shows that you have a 'internet relationship' with the other person.

It definitely cannot replace the invaluable face to -face meeting experiences or connections.

OP should consider themselves lucky that US consulate in Philippines has been giving out fiancee/spousal visas like candies.

Some parts of the world are not so lucky. Cases like only spending 4 days together physically will be a sure denial.

This case get denied because the CO is not convinced the relationship is genuine with only 1 week meeting physically throughout a 3-1/2 half relationship.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/600253-k1-denied-under-221g-no-relationship-with-you-and-petitioner-advise-please/

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Timeline

Joel

This is very well said and I could not agree more with you.

It takes a special level of commitment to be that far apart and still do whatever it takes to maintain the relationship and foster it until such point that you can be together in person for good.

K1 Visa

5-04-16 – Mailed I-129F

5-12-16 - NOA 1

7-18-16 - NOA 2

7-25-16 - Hard copy of NOA 2

8-03-16 - NVC case number assigned

8-09-16 – Consulate received

8-24-16 – Interview date @ USEM - Approved!

9-16-16 - CFO completed in Cebu

9-22-16 - P.O.E. Boston, MA

10-08-16 - Wedding!

AOS

10-29-16 - Submitted AOS with EAD/AP applications

11-02-16 - AOS package delivered to USCIS Chicago lockbox

11-16-16 - NOA1 Text message with receipt numbers

11-21-16 - Received NOA1 Hard Copies
12-05-16 - Biometrics

02-14-17 - Received EAD/AP Combo card

04-24-17 - Received notification of AOS approval w/o interview

04-27-17 - Received hard copy of AOS approval

05-03-17 - Received Green card

ROC

04-08-19 - Submitted ROC Form I-751 

04-26-19 - Received I-797 NOA Hard copy

05-17-19 - Received I-797C NOA Biometrics Appt.

12-17-20. Interview: approved

12-26-20 Received Green card

N400 citizenship 

09-29-20 Submitted N400 form

10-07-20 Received NOA

12-28-20 Interview: approved 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.