Cameron500

Passport expires during 90 days (K1)

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hi

I arrived in the US on the 5th of August 2016 on a K1 visa. My fiancé and I plan to marry mid October. However, during my 90 day visa period, my UK passport expires (27 October).

My question is, will this affect me unfavorably further along the process when I apply for a Adjustment of Status etc? Will I need to inform those that will process any future forms about my situation?

I foresee a situation where I have a K1 stamp on my old passport and a green card stamp on my new passport. Applying for a new UK passport will be the easy part I assume, as my parents can send the new one over to me.

Any help in this matter will be very much appreciated!

Thanks

Cameron

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

This is a very simple situation and it happens quite frequently.

Ideally you should have applied for a new passport before you decided to attend the interview and surrender the passport for the placement of the K1 visa.

You will need to visit the closest UK embassy in whatever state you are in and apply for a new passport. It is not advisable for your parents to send the new passport over (not sure if they can even fill it out and submit it let alone send it) due to the possibility of it being lost or stolen. It does not take any more effort to visit the embassy and submit and pay it yourself.

Regarding the K1 stamp, that is done and finished. It is now useless, it is only valid for 1 time entry so having a new passport will make no difference.

You will only need to get the green card temporary stamp I-551 if you loose your physical green card (Once you get it) or your green card expires during Removal of Conditions period and you want an additional layer of protection above and beyond the extension letter for international travel.

Other than that you only need your passport for international travel once you get your green card.

My AOS Journey

11/11/14 - POE

12/12/14 - Married

12/15/14 - AOS/EAD Submitted

12/22/14 - NOA 1

01/13/15 - Biometrics

03/20/15 - Notice Of Potential Interview Waiver Received - 6 Month Delay

09/21/15 - NPIW Expired

10/16/15 - Service Request 1 submitted - Local office past my case

10/17/15 - Service Request Response - Currently being adjudicated, No timeline. Please wait

10/19/15 - Contacted Local Congressman. Request Submitted

11/19/15 - Response from congressman. Currently being adjudicated. Please wait. No Timeline

11/27/15 - Letter from Local Field office requesting missing I-693.

12/21/15 - Infopass Appointment regarding notice - I-693 not required for K1 Visa. Officer stated he would request local officer to contact me

12/22/15 - 1 Year since NOA 1

12/29/15 - Had original K1 I-693 medical form transcribed by US panel doctor and submitted to USCIS.

01/06/16 - Service request 2 submitted

01/19/16 - Interview Appointment Received

02/09/16 - Interview - APPROVED

02/12/16 - 2 Year Green Card In Hand

12/26/17 - ROC Submitted

01/08/18 - ROC NOA1 Recieved

10/06/18 - Received 18 Month Extension Letter

01/17/19 - Removal of Conditions - Approved

01/23/19 - Received 10 year Green Card.

My Citizenship Journey

12/06/18 - N400 Submitted

12/18/18 - N400 Biometrics Appointment Received

12/26/18 - Biometrics Complete - Expected completion Feb 2020 (13 Months)

04/28/19 - So far lots of USCIS "nothing has changed" bi weekly status update e-mails.

05/07/19 - Received notification that my N400 interview had been scheduled.

05/08/19 - N400 Interview letter was available to view online.

05/13/19 - Received physical copy of N400 interview letter in mail.

06/14/19 - N400 Interview Passed. Recommended for citizenship.

06/22/19 - N400 Approved

07/24/19 - Oath ceremony scheduled

You can apply for a UK passport renewal from abroad, online. https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y/usa/renewing_new/adult

* I-130/CR-1 visa by Direct Consular Filing in London
3rd May 2013 - Married in London

7th May 2013 - I-130 filed
4th June 2013 - NOA2 (approved)
16th July 2013 - Interview (approved)
30th July 2013 - POE San Francisco
29th August 2013 - 2 year green card arrived

* How? Read my DCF London I-130 for CR1/IR1 Spouse Guide

* Removal of Conditions (RoC) via California Service Centre
1st May 2015 - 90 day RoC window opened
6th May 2015 - I-751 filed (delivered 8th May, cheque cashed 18th May)
7th August 2015 - Approved / GC production

27th August 2015 - 10 year green card arrived

* Naturalisation (Citizenship) via Phoenix Lockbox

* San Francisco Field Office:
1st May 2016 - N-400 window opened
20th August 2016 - N-400 filed

26th August 2016 - NOA1
13th September 2016 - Biometrics

12th January 2017 - Biometrics (again)
30th May 2017 - Interview (approved)
7th June 2017 - Oath

I am surprised you got the visa without a new passport. The London instructions say

"The passport must be valid for travel to the United States and must have at least eight months validity from the date on which the visa is issued. "

I would wait until you have married, applied for AOS, and attended your biometric appointment before replacing the passport. You are going to need it for photo ID for SSN, marriage license, and biometric appointment. Then you have a break waiting for the green card interview.

You can not get a UK passport through a British Embassy. You can apply online or by mail, but either way, you will also be sending your current passport to the UK. If you renew now, you may not have new ID back when you need it for your marriage license. If you can get the marriage license way early (now) or can get it with other ID then maybe go ahead. Get your SSN this week.

England.gifENGLAND ---

K-1 Timeline 4 months, 19 days 03-10-08 VSC to 7-29-08 Interview London

10-05-08 Married

AOS Timeline 5 months, 14 days 10-9-08 to 3-23-09 No interview

Removing Conditions Timeline 5 months, 20 days12-27-10 to 06-10-11 No interview

Citizenship Timeline 3 months, 26 days 12-31-11 Dallas to 4-26-12 Interview Houston

05-16-12 Oath ceremony

The journey from Fiancé to US citizenship:

4 years, 2 months, 6 days

243 pages of forms/documents submitted

No RFEs

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Thank you very much for the help.

I now plan to wait until my Social Security number has been granted before applying for a new passport. I was on the 6 month limit for passport visa requirements when I had my Visa interview in late April.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.