Mochii

Applying for an F1 VISA. Should I tell the immigration officer I have a US citizen boyfriend?

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm sorry for not reading the earlier replies, it's early in the morning and probably too early to be on VJ...

I had been together with my now husband for one year when I applied for an F1 visa and I was going to live with him during this time. Therefor when they asked me where I was going to live while I studied I honestly said I was going to live with my boyfriend. The CO asked "Are you planning to get married?" My answer was "We are not PLANNING anything". He explained to me that if I wanted to live and work in the US I needed an immigrant visa. He then told me my student visa would arrive in about 14 days :) So in my case it was all good.

Oh that's great news!! That makes me feel a lot less worried now. :) I'll use "We are not planning anything" if the officer asks me if we're planning to get married. Thank you so much!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Oh that's great news!! That makes me feel a lot less worried now. :) I'll use "We are not planning anything" if the officer asks me if we're planning to get married. Thank you so much!

If that is a true statement, then yes. You mentioned marriage in your first thread so it all depends on what your intentions are.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

If that is a true statement, then yes. You mentioned marriage in your first thread so it all depends on what your intentions are.

We really don't plan on getting married but my boyfriend has mentioned that he would marry me like in a "I love you so much I want to marry you" kind of way but we haven't made any official plans or anything like that. Did you go back to your home country before you married your husband?

Edited by Mochii

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm sorry for not reading the earlier replies, it's early in the morning and probably too early to be on VJ...

I had been together with my now husband for one year when I applied for an F1 visa and I was going to live with him during this time. Therefor when they asked me where I was going to live while I studied I honestly said I was going to live with my boyfriend. The CO asked "Are you planning to get married?" My answer was "We are not PLANNING anything". He explained to me that if I wanted to live and work in the US I needed an immigrant visa. He then told me my student visa would arrive in about 14 days :) So in my case it was all good.

Hi! :) Did your boyfriend sponsored you in your F1 visa? Coz my boyfriend is my listed sponsor... Will I have problem with that? And also, what document did you prepare to show the consul that you have storng ties in the PH? Thanks ?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

Hi! :) Did your boyfriend sponsored you in your F1 visa? Coz my boyfriend is my listed sponsor... Will I have problem with that? And also, what document did you prepare to show the consul that you have storng ties in the PH? Thanks ?

Hi, no my mother was my sponsor.

I have never lived in PH. I applied through a program so I am not entirely sure I gave them much ties to my home country. I had just ended a 2 year au pair program. I have a vague memory of bringing a letter from my employer that I never had to show them.

Sweden is a pretty easy country to get a visa from so when it comes to specifics about what to bring to the interview I am the wrong person to ask. I only gave advice on not hiding the boyfriend if asked about it :)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Maria is from Sweden.

Let us know how the interview goes.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Oh I see ? I'm sorry. I thought you were from Ph also. It's so hard to get a student visa from here even tho I have all the requirements like the I-20 from the community college coz they will also consider if we have strong ties here in Ph and will not go to US and have plans to be an illegal immigrant.

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

What a coincidence! I'm also applying to community college in Pasadena! and my deadline is October 1 as well, perhaps we're applying for the same college? Lol. I didn't take the IELTS, I'm just going to provide them with proof that I come from a school where English is the medium of instruction. My situation is quite complicated but hoping for the best.

I'm not so sure about your first and second question, I don't think it matters what kind major you want to apply to. My honest answer if they ask why I choose to study for an AA in the states is because it's shorter than getting a BS/BA here, I think that's a legit reason.

I actually haven't sent my applications yet. I'm planning to just email the community colleges (I'm applying to three, Pasadena is my first choice) my application because they said on their website that's fine. This one college needs my official transcripts though so for that I have to go to my college and have them mail it.

Your fourth question is a good question! I haven't thought about that haha but I have a friend who studied at CC in LA, he said having family here is enough ties to the PH. Don't know if that's still enough but I hope someone answers your question.

Good luck with IELTS and applications! :) I'd love an update if that's okay, considering we're practically in the same boat. :)

Hi mochii!! :) just wanted to tell you that we called PCC... And the reuirements should be mailed to them... And all the hardcopies of transcripts should be in a sealed envelope... Just wanted to let you know. And they're having email server issues since the past week. Coz I've been emailing them about this ?? good thing we called them non-stop for two days. And only now they answered ??

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.