Mochii

Applying for an F1 VISA. Should I tell the immigration officer I have a US citizen boyfriend?

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

My boyfriend and I met on reddit about a year ago, he lives in the US and I live in the Philippines. We've been in an LDR ever since. I had problems with my college here so I decided to apply to community colleges in the US to finish an associates degree. Now I have a few questions:

1. When I get interviewed for an F1 visa, should I tell the officer I have an LDR US citizen boyfriend? I know it's fraud to enter the US on an F1 visa with the intention to stay and get married. I'll be studying in a different state from where he lives so we'd still be in an LDR, will that help prove that I do intend to go back home after I finish my degree?

2. My boyfriend has mentioned the idea for marriage, our relationship is genuine. If we do get married to stay together for good will saying I met him online before I went to the US be suspicious?

I'm really worried because I feel like everything points to us being a fraud but we're 100% not. What can I do to help get approved?

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

You don't have to divulge anything they do not ask of you. If they do not ask about friends or relatives in the USA, you do not have to tell them. Remember, answer their questions as briefly and accurately as possible and do not "offer" any more information than asked.

Timeline

You don't have to divulge anything they do not ask of you. If they do not ask about friends or relatives in the USA, you do not have to tell them. Remember, answer their questions as briefly and accurately as possible and do not "offer" any more information than asked.

Hi! Glad to see another filipina-american couple reply. :) What if they ask "Do you have a boyfriend?" or "Do you have friends in the US?" ? Would they ask that?

Edited by Mochii

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi! Glad to see another filipina-american couple reply. :) What if they ask "Do you have a boyfriend?" or "Do you have friends in the US?" ? Would they ask that?

If they ask, yes, you must then tell the truth. Sooner or later they will find out anyway and if you are caught misrepresenting yourself, it can have severe consequences. That said, if they don't ask, don't offer. Simple.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi! Mochii. We almost have the same situation... I also have a US citizen boyfriend. And I'm also planning to apply at a community college in Pasadena. I just enrolled at an IELTS review center and planning to take the exam on September 10. Since the application requirements deadline is until October 1st only for international students. And I also have a few questions regarding F1 visa requirements and interview.

First, will there be a problem if my boyfriend will be my sponsor for my studies in US? Coz I've read in some forums that there's a big chance of approval if the sponsor is a close relative. He will also support all my expenses there and I will be staying with him since his apartment is just a few minutes away from the community college. Will this be a problem also? Coz it's like showing that I have a more strong ties in US rather than in PH.

Second, my BS course here in PH is related to medicine. And I want to apply in an AA-T Psychology degree in US or Do I have to pick a degree that is not common here in PH so that my chance of getting approved is high?

Third, How did you send your application requirements to the community college? Is it via mail or courier?

Fourth, for the F1 visa interview what supporting documents or any examples of documents can I bring to show my strong ties in PH? if ever the consul ask for it...

These are all my questions for now... Hopefully someone would answer..

And also mochii do you already have your I-20? How many days did you wait to receive it after sending your application requirements?

:)

My boyfriend and I met on reddit about a year ago, he lives in the US and I live in the Philippines. We've been in an LDR ever since. I had problems with my college here so I decided to apply to community colleges in the US to finish an associates degree. Now I have a few questions:

1. When I get interviewed for an F1 visa, should I tell the officer I have an LDR US citizen boyfriend? I know it's fraud to enter the US on an F1 visa with the intention to stay and get married. I'll be studying in a different state from where he lives so we'd still be in an LDR, will that help prove that I do intend to go back home after I finish my degree?

2. My boyfriend has mentioned the idea for marriage, our relationship is genuine. If we do get married to stay together for good will saying I met him online before I went to the US be suspicious?

I'm really worried because I feel like everything points to us being a fraud but we're 100% not. What can I do to help get approved?

Timeline

Hi! Mochii. We almost have the same situation... I also have a US citizen boyfriend. And I'm also planning to apply at a community college in Pasadena. I just enrolled at an IELTS review center and planning to take the exam on September 10. Since the application requirements deadline is until October 1st only for international students. And I also have a few questions regarding F1 visa requirements and interview.

First, will there be a problem if my boyfriend will be my sponsor for my studies in US? Coz I've read in some forums that there's a big chance of approval if the sponsor is a close relative. He will also support all my expenses there and I will be staying with him since his apartment is just a few minutes away from the community college. Will this be a problem also? Coz it's like showing that I have a more strong ties in US rather than in PH.

Second, my BS course here in PH is related to medicine. And I want to apply in an AA-T Psychology degree in US or Do I have to pick a degree that is not common here in PH so that my chance of getting approved is high?

Third, How did you send your application requirements to the community college? Is it via mail or courier?

Fourth, for the F1 visa interview what supporting documents or any examples of documents can I bring to show my strong ties in PH? if ever the consul ask for it...

These are all my questions for now... Hopefully someone would answer..

And also mochii do you already have your I-20? How many days did you wait to receive it after sending your application requirements?

:)

What a coincidence! I'm also applying to community college in Pasadena! and my deadline is October 1 as well, perhaps we're applying for the same college? Lol. I didn't take the IELTS, I'm just going to provide them with proof that I come from a school where English is the medium of instruction. My situation is quite complicated but hoping for the best.

I'm not so sure about your first and second question, I don't think it matters what kind major you want to apply to. My honest answer if they ask why I choose to study for an AA in the states is because it's shorter than getting a BS/BA here, I think that's a legit reason.

I actually haven't sent my applications yet. I'm planning to just email the community colleges (I'm applying to three, Pasadena is my first choice) my application because they said on their website that's fine. This one college needs my official transcripts though so for that I have to go to my college and have them mail it.

Your fourth question is a good question! I haven't thought about that haha but I have a friend who studied at CC in LA, he said having family here is enough ties to the PH. Don't know if that's still enough but I hope someone answers your question.

Good luck with IELTS and applications! :) I'd love an update if that's okay, considering we're practically in the same boat. :)

Timeline

Oh wow! I feel so elated when I read that you're planning to apply at a community college also in Pasadena. :)

What kind of proof are you going to show that you came from a school with English medium? And are you still going to send your HS transcripts with college transcript? And also do you have a sponsor for that?

Really hope I'll be able to get admitted at PCC. It's the only school I'm going to apply since my bf is living there.

I'll give an update with my application ?

Hope to hear or get an update from you also ???

What a coincidence! I'm also applying to community college in Pasadena! and my deadline is October 1 as well, perhaps we're applying for the same college? Lol. I didn't take the IELTS, I'm just going to provide them with proof that I come from a school where English is the medium of instruction. My situation is quite complicated but hoping for the best.

I'm not so sure about your first and second question, I don't think it matters what kind major you want to apply to. My honest answer if they ask why I choose to study for an AA in the states is because it's shorter than getting a BS/BA here, I think that's a legit reason.

I actually haven't sent my applications yet. I'm planning to just email the community colleges (I'm applying to three, Pasadena is my first choice) my application because they said on their website that's fine. This one college needs my official transcripts though so for that I have to go to my college and have them mail it.

Your fourth question is a good question! I haven't thought about that haha but I have a friend who studied at CC in LA, he said having family here is enough ties to the PH. Don't know if that's still enough but I hope someone answers your question.

Good luck with IELTS and applications! :) I'd love an update if that's okay, considering we're practically in the same boat. :)

Oh wow! I feel so elated when I read that you're planning to apply at a community college also in Pasadena. :)

What kind of proof are you going to show that you came from a school with English medium? And are you still going to send your HS transcripts with college transcript? And also do you have a sponsor for that?

Really hope I'll be able to get admitted at PCC. It's the only school I'm going to apply since my bf is living there.

Timeline

I asked my college for a "Certificate of English as Medium of Instruction" from my college (I have a few years of college here). My sponsor for my studies in the US is my mom here. :)

I remember reading for PCC that you can just show proof you went to an english speaking school with a certificate/letter from the school and transcripts that show you don't have any marks below a C. If you can meet those requirements then you won't have to take the an english exam. :)

I hope we both get into PCC! I'll definitely update you soon, I'm submitting my application this week! :)

Edited by Mochii

Timeline

I asked my college for a "Certificate of English as Medium of Instruction" from my college (I have a few years of college here). My sponsor for my studies in the US is my mom here. :)

I remember reading for PCC that you can just show proof you went to an english speaking school with a certificate/letter from the school and transcripts that show you don't have any marks below a C. If you can meet those requirements then you won't have to take the an english exam. :)

I hope we both get into PCC! I'll definitely update you soon, I'm submitting my application this week! :)

Thanks so much for replying :)) Are you still going to send your HS transcripts?

Oh and what was your undergrad degree here in PH? And what AA are you planning to take at PCC?

Goodluck to both of us. ???

Timeline

Thanks so much for replying :)) Are you still going to send your HS transcripts?

Oh and what was your undergrad degree here in PH? And what AA are you planning to take at PCC?

Goodluck to both of us. ???

No problem! Yes I'm planning to send them scanned copies of my HS diploma, HS transcripts and college transcripts.

My undergrad was Architecture (I didn't graduate though) here and I'm planning to take up AS Building Construction. :)

Timeline

Thanks so much for the info! ? are you going to scan the application form and sponsor form also along with the bank statements, bank certs etc.?

Oh, and one more question. Do you have any close or distant relatives in LA?

I'm just weighing down my possibilities of getting admitted at PCC and getting approved in the F1visa interview. ?

Timeline

Thanks so much for the info! ? are you going to scan the application form and sponsor form also along with the bank statements, bank certs etc.?

Oh, and one more question. Do you have any close or distant relatives in LA?

I'm just weighing down my possibilities of getting admitted at PCC and getting approved in the F1visa interview. ?

Yes, I'm going to scan everything and just send it. Paying the application fee is really hassle though, since you can't pay it via credit card/wire transfer. You have to pay it via money order so you'll need a check. :\ I even scanned my check and proof I mailed it.

I have aunts & uncles in LA. I totally understand! I'm super nervous as well! At least you're not going through this alone haha! :)

Timeline

Oh I see... I have a check so that won't be a problem... How much dooes it cost you to send it via money order? Or can some of your relatives in LA send a check to PCC for the application fee?

I'm so glad I found someone with almost the same situation as mine and same community college application. I'm so nervous because I don't have anyone I can relate to with this application.

I really really hope that we'll both get accepted at PCC ???

Timeline

Oh I see... I have a check so that won't be a problem... How much dooes it cost you to send it via money order? Or can some of your relatives in LA send a check to PCC for the application fee?

I'm so glad I found someone with almost the same situation as mine and same community college application. I'm so nervous because I don't have anyone I can relate to with this application.

I really really hope that we'll both get accepted at PCC ???

I'm not sure how much it is, I just asked someone to mail it for me. I think you can have relatives in LA send it for you, just tell them to make a note that it's for your application. :)

Good luck to us! :)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Sweden
Timeline

I'm sorry for not reading the earlier replies, it's early in the morning and probably too early to be on VJ...

I had been together with my now husband for one year when I applied for an F1 visa and I was going to live with him during this time. Therefor when they asked me where I was going to live while I studied I honestly said I was going to live with my boyfriend. The CO asked "Are you planning to get married?" My answer was "We are not PLANNING anything". He explained to me that if I wanted to live and work in the US I needed an immigrant visa. He then told me my student visa would arrive in about 14 days :) So in my case it was all good.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.