Esme2015

Tourist visa Length of stay and length of re-entry

7 posts in this topic

Hello,

I am not sure if this questions has been asked before but i wanted to explain the details so please let me know if i can find a similar topic or if you have an answer. My grandma has a 10 year multiple visa. She usually does a 3 month trip every year to the US but she has been travelling more often because of family events. On 2015 She traveled from March- June for my parents 25 year wedding anniversary. Then she came April-July this year.

My Aunt, uncle and cousins are coming to spend Christmas this year and they are the ones who take care of my grandma so they would bring her along from December - January at the end of this year. My grandma is really worried because her immigration counselor told her to only travel one a year and only 3 months maximum. She also wants to come Summer 2017 for my sisters high school graduation, brothers university graduation, and cousins graduation so she wants to stay alone back home but she is old so we do not feel comfortable doing that.

In your opinion, would she have any trouble travelling so many times in a period of ~1 year and 3 months? ( April-July 2016 , Dec-Jan 2017, April -July 2017) ?

I don't think it will be a problem but i wanted (and my grandma asked me) to get more opinions since she is set on not travelling with my aunt and uncle during Christmas.

Also, I plan on taking them to mexico for dinner and for them to visit for a day or two since i live in San Diego, they are from El Salvador. With a 6 month permit, can they freely leave and enter the country? Lets say just for dinner like 4 hours and then cross back to the US? I know Mexicans have that liberty once they have a 6 month stay permit but I'm not sure if it's the same for other countries considering neither is their country (US and Mexico) ?

Thank you so much in advance for your information!

Filed: Timeline

As long as she spends at least the same time out of the USA as in then she should be fine.

Not sure what you mean regarding the day trip to mexico? Off course she is free to leave the country whenever she wants. When she comes back she will request entry again the same as every other time.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Agreed on the first point, not the latter - travel to Mexico is a bit different.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/751/~/traveling-to-other-countries-while-in-the-u.s.-on-a-b1-or-b2-visa

Edited by F1H1I130

Multiple trips within a short time can raise flags, but from what you described, she should be ok. Of course any US entry depends entirely on the CBP.

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Malaysia
Timeline

I crossed from SD to TJ just for a few hours and came back with my b1/b2 visa no problem. There was no inspection entering Mexico, just a turnstile.

AOS - 130 days

ROC - 15m

N400 - 10/18/2019

bio - 11/4/19

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I think she will be fine. She may get asked a few more questions at the border, but she has good reasons for her visits, she has the money to fund them, and she is staying out of the country more than in, so I don;t think she'll get denied or even major hassle.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Thank you everyone for your replies! I'm hopeful that she wont have any trouble on her future travels :)

This link was very helpful F1H1I130, thank you so much.

Agreed on the first point, not the latter - travel to Mexico is a bit different.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/751/~/traveling-to-other-countries-while-in-the-u.s.-on-a-b1-or-b2-visa

Yea usually when i cross there is no revision leaving the country, so no problem there. I was just wondering if the same permit will be valid once they re enter the same day or following day, and it looks like it is. Thank you for sharing your experience :)Marc_us82

I crossed from SD to TJ just for a few hours and came back with my b1/b2 visa no problem. There was no inspection entering Mexico, just a turnstile.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.