8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Me and my wife met in mid 2008 she was in college and i was on an m1 visa(no work rights, just vocational school). My plans were never to settle down here but school was very slow so we moved in together and started enjoying our 20 year old lives for the next 4-6 months. Then i finished school and told her this is the end and i need to go back to my country. She pleaded me into a long distance relationship and i said it wouldnt work as neither had any plans to move to another country at this point. During the long distance things got rough in that 1.5 year time period and she came to my country twice to try and keep seeing each other as i could not afford to come to the usa. I told myself that this girl will never let us get apart and this is the one for me as i believe that is the kind of will power one needs to continue a marriage. I came to the US in late 2010 and we got married 3 days later so i can start working and not just sit around the house all day. We were in love all over again.

After a couple of years i started turning bitter due to the lack of a cultural support system and lack of my family and friends. I turned to alcohol and this bitterness kept getting worse and we started fighting and she kept trying to make it right. Having been used to my mom and maids do all my work when i was growing up, i was not used to cooking or cleaning or any adult tasks and just worked and drank when not at work.

2 months ago we had a fight and she left me saying she doesnt want to be the only one always trying to fix the relationship as a mother and wife in one. I realized having her gone of what i had done. Now i have no close friends or family and she is living with her parents and already started seeing people online. For two months i call her all day and keep begging her to come back but she is stuck on the fact she wants a divorce. I promise her i will change as i really want a family with her and with that hope and dream i will pull myself out of this slump and change and treat her right. I say ill start doing it while you keep dating and when you think after a while that i have changed you can consider coming back but she says there is no way for her to even consider it however we will always be friends and she will try to make the divorce not so harsh.

Now im stuck between two worlds. Ive lived here for the last 6 years and started my career which is going steadily, while i am left completely alone. i have my 10 year green card, but im not sure if i can start all over again in my country either now that i am nearing 30. My country does not allow dual citizenship either to make it confusing for me. Either way im forced to take the decision that maybe once my parents retire they can come live with me and my career can continue here.

Will i still be eligible for US citizenship in 2017 or 18 when i completely make up my mind? She wants the divorce paperwork signed by me latest by november 2016.

Much thanks.

Edited by The navi-gator

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

to file for citizenship, since you will be divorced you will need to have 5 years of being a GC holder

you can apply 90 days before your 5 years of having a GC

no need to leave since you have a 10 year GC

Agree with the the comment. You can go ahead and apply for citizenship.

ROC Journey:

02/06/19....90-day window open

02/06/19....ROC Package mailed to Lewisville Lockbox

02/07/19...Received at Lewisville Lockbox

02/11/19...NOA1 Text & E-mail. (18-months extension)

02/13/19...Credit Card Charged

XX/XX/XX ....(Possible/Optional) I-551 stamp on passport for a 1-year extension

XX/XX/XX...Biometrics notice received - appointment date for (XX/XX/XX) - (Possible/Optional) Early Walk-in date XX/XX/XX

XX/XX/XX ....(Possible/Optional) Interview

XX/XX/XX....I-751 (XX days from NOA1) APPROVED

XX/XX/XX…Card ordered - Card mailed date XX/XX/XX

XX/XX/XX...Approve notice received

AOS Journey:

11/04/16....Marriage

11/30/16....AOS Combo Package mailed to Chicago Lockbox

12/01/16....Delivered at Chicago Lockbox

12/13/16....Check cleared

12/14/16....NOA1 Text & E-mail.

01/03/17....Biometrics notice received - appointment date for (01/13/17) - Early Walk-in date 01/05/17

03/03/17....I-765 and I-131 (79 days from NOA1) APPROVED

03/09/17....Combo card ordered - Card mailed date 03/11/17

05/06/17....Approve notice received

K1 Visa Journey:

05/04/16....I-129F mailed to Lewisville, TX

05/05/16....Delivered at Lewisville, TX

05/09/16....NOA1 Text & E-mail. Case sent to CSC

05/10/16....Check cleared

07/14/16....NOA2 - USCIS website checked (66 days from NOA1)

07/25/16....Arrived at NVC

08/01/16....NVC Case # and Invoice ID assigned

08/10/16....Arrived at Consulate

08/11/16....Packet 3 (Email)

08/12/16....DS-160 and appointment schedule and Visa fee paid

08/30/16....Medical Appointment at Dr. Jolly's

08/31/16....Visa Interview - Paris (115 days from NOA1) APPROVED

09/01/16....CEAC: Ready

09/09/16....CEAC: AP Visa

09/14/16....CEAC: Visa Issued

09/21/16....CEAC: Visa Delivered

09/22/16....MIA POE (137 days from NOA1)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Yoou were eligible to file 3 years after being a greencard holder So you are free now to file whenever since you even meet the 5 year mark.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

i did the research but im very worried and i had to ask to make sure myself. I guess my second question would be is this a story of a messed up person who doesnt have good moral character? I know ive been bad but out of immaturity and lack of guidance not because im a bad person at heart.

I ask this of you as you are third persons and i want to get an idea of what the immigration officer might think during my interview.

Thank you for all you guys taking time to answer.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Poland
Timeline

Don't know what country you are from but please apply for citizenship. You have your life here. You will get better, find friends and maybe somebody worth being with. She won't change her mind, she went thrugh already and she said eno8gh. She seems like a women that know what she wants and if she say she doesn't want to be the only one trying she will not. And if you promised before and nothing changed then that is I guess why she thinks nothing will change.

Maybe you'll find better job too and you can go visit your family often or maybe you can sponsor yoir parents when yoi get citizebship. If you have usa citizenship and would like to go back to country then yoi can have some working visa or someting, idk what country it is. Americans are always welcome in other cointries.

Thank you everyone so far for the responses. It has cleared much air.

Another question is eligibility at the end of ten years.. Say i continue working in the usa till my green card expiry is close and i still cant make up mind to give up my original citizenship and take up usa citizenship, will i still be eligible to reapply for another 10 year green card?

Any references?

Do we threads here for an idea of what an io may ask during a citizenship or ten year gc renewal interview? Any personal experiences?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.