McSwenson

We just got our I-797 approval..

5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

Hi there!

This is my very first time posting so please excuse my ignorance on questions im sure have been answered before..

So we just got our approval (I-129f) and I was wondering what the next and final steps are?

I'm assuming it's interview and medical?

Does my fiancé need to be there when they interview me?

Is medical done with someone they assign or through my family doctor? And what exactly is done during medical?

After medical and interview are done and everything is approved is that when I can expect to move to be with my fiancé?

Basically I'm trying to figure out if I can expect to be there this year.

Thank you so much :)

Timeline

From here on out the process can vary wildly depending on the beneficiary's country - fill in your timeline or give more details and we can help you better!

My fiancé filed and he's in the USA

I'm from Canada

waiting to be approved so I can move to the USA.

Hope that's the information needed. ?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Afghanistan
Timeline

Hey there, congrats on the approval.

You can wait about about 2 weeks and start calling the NVC. All approvals go to the NVC then are forwarded to the US consulate. When you call NVC you give them your USCIS repceit number and ask them if it has been received and they assign you with a case number usually same day or as I have seen 1-2 days later. Then you can start tracking your case and see when it has been received by the embassy. (You will need the NVC number to correspond with the embassy and check your status and track your package to the embassy)

Every embassy is different how they do things! Some people can go ahead and schedule appointment and medical right away once their status changes to READY. That means embassy has received it. Some people need to wait for packet 3- which the embassy will email you most likely and give you instructions on how to set up the medical and give you and interview date. Check your country's portal or embassy website to see how it works for you guys. (Your timeline isn't filled out so not sure what country you are from or how it works there )

The medical is done through a list of providers they allow you to do the medical with. I heard they usually check you for certain illnesses and give you certAin vaccines you may need and make sure your physically and mentally okay.

Also- it's country specific if your fiancé needs to be at interview with you or not. Some embassies want the fiancé there, some won't allow them to be there. Some fiancé's go and wait outside because they feel it helps- some fiancé's go if they are allowed and attend the interview because they feel it helps their case. BUT- as I said this all depends on the country and embassy.

If you are a asking if you might be in the US by the end of 2016- I can't guarantee you that (no one can) because it depends on when there are available interviews and whether or not you go into AP and how long it takes to actually issue your visa after the interview- but I would say it seems like a pretty good chance :)

Good luck and congrats again! If you let us know what country you are from and fill out your timeline or give us more specific dates I'm sure more people can help you out from your country.

Timeline

My fiancé filed and he's in the USA

I'm from Canada

waiting to be approved so I can move to the USA.

Hope that's the information needed. ?

Check out the Canada regional section of the forum:

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/forum/93-canada/

Should help you alot. As for medical, there's 4 places I think to get it done. It needs to be someone from the approved list of panel physicians found in one of the info packets. I'm from Canada too so from what I understand...

1) Wait and start calling for your NVC case number.

2) When it reaches Montreal, they will apparently email the beneficiary (I'm not sure how they get our email yet though, lol) what's referred to as "Packet 3," which is essentially just a checklist of items you need to take to the interview. Check 'em off, email it back.

3) They send the beneficiary "Packet 4." I believe it's at this point you can book your interview, fill out DS-160 and pay the interview fee, and then book your medical.

Tell your Canadian other half to Google "Montreal packet 3" and "Montreal packet 4" to give you both a better idea of what you need to be collecting! Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.