4 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I got married in April-16 and my wife is a U.S citizen. I am working on filling the required forms to adjust my status from f1.

I filled in the following forms so far:

i-130 (on behalf of my spouse)

i-485

g-325a (for me and my spouse)

g-1145

and now filling the i-864. The thing I found strange is that the form assumes that my wife (the sponsor according to the form) is the one who, the info in the form, should be about. However, I am the person who will be providing, I have a full time job. and there is no place to mention that in the form. Am I missing something? or the Part 6 of the form should be about me not my wife!

Thank you,

R.sha

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Sweden
Timeline

I think the US citizen has to show that they can provide for the foreigner in case the foreigner can't provide for himself/herself. Like if you'd lose your job or such, the government wants to know that the US citizen can support you so you don't become a liability to the state.

K-1: 12-22-2015 - 09-07-2016

AP: 12-20-2016 - 04-07-2017

EAD: 01-18-2017 - 05-30-2017

AOS: 12-20-2016 - 07-26-2017

ROC: 04-22-2019 - 04-22-2020
Naturalization: 05-01-2020 - 03-16-2021

U.S. passport: 03-30-2021 - 05-08-2021

En livstid i krig. Göteborg killed it. Epic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBs3G1PvyfM&ab_channel=Sabaton

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

no, your income doesn't count, it's the sponsor's responsibility to prove to the government that you won't become a public charge

so your wife fill the i864 and has to show proof that her income is above the poverty guidelines to petition for someone, if not, than she can use assets or a joint sponsor

Filed: Timeline

I got married in April-16 and my wife is a U.S citizen. I am working on filling the required forms to adjust my status from f1.

I filled in the following forms so far:

i-130 (on behalf of my spouse)

i-485

g-325a (for me and my spouse)

g-1145

and now filling the i-864. The thing I found strange is that the form assumes that my wife (the sponsor according to the form) is the one who, the info in the form, should be about. However, I am the person who will be providing, I have a full time job. and there is no place to mention that in the form. Am I missing something? or the Part 6 of the form should be about me not my wife!

Thank you,

R.sha

If you are working legally in the US (I am assuming on OPT or something), your income can be counted as part of your wife's household income, which basically means your income goes towards meeting the requirement. Your wife will still be the sponsor who fills out the I-864, but your income will count towards her qualifying to sponsor. You will be listed as "Person 1" whose info and income goes in Part 6 #3-5, and your income will be added with your wife's income to become your wife's household income (Part 6 #15). Although usually household members need to fill out I-864A to have their income counted, you do not need to fill out I-864A because you are the sponsored immigrant.

Edited by newacct

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.