30 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

So sorry this happened to you...we are in the same situation. I recommend that you have your US spouse contact his senator's office to:

1) Explain to them what happened at the embassy

2) Request their assistance to contact the embassy for further clarification on the denial

Stay focus...in the end you guys will be together:)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

You really do not have to wait for the letter

it will say you can appeal but appeal costs $110 and takes long

our marriage was reaffirmed as bona fida in our appeal and they said reapply

so, reapply now and don't waste time

by the time your case gets to interview stage, you will have the denial letter and can address whatever immigration says is a problem

like in our case "they said he didn't know what books i read"

he was not asked these questions after the appeal

Timeline

I'm sorry you are going through this. Your case sounds almost exactly like ours. We have property together, had a lot of evidence, used a lawyer, etc., but my husband was denied.

He was given the 221g letter, and checklist. The checklist had nothing at all checked. He also kept asking why he was denied and the woman would not tell him, just told him I, the USC spouse, can fight it. She sent it back to USCIS. It took exactly 6 months to get from the Ghanaian embassy back to USCIS.

Now we are waiting on the additional 6 months to get word on what exactly is the problem. I met with my lawyer, and he said (I don't know how much to believe him), that having nothing checked is actually not as bad as having some kind of reason outright written as a denial.

I agree, get your congressperson involved. I did that, as well as sending letters to the embassy asking for another interview right away. It didn't work, but at least there is evidence that I didn't let it just slide by.

I really am sorry, I know it's like a punch in the gut to get a denial. You and your partner have to stay focused, strong and patient. I don't think there's anyway not around the wait for USCIS to tell you what the issue is. It will take a year from the time of denial for you to receive this (at least).

I had my lawyer file a Request for Action with the USCIS, sending in lots of additional evidence before knowing what the reason was for denial, but it has not helped.

Beginning of September 2016, it will be 6 months since USCIS has received his file back from Ghana, so then I can take action. I'm just telling you all this because it is very unlikely the time frame will be any less than one year now for you both.

Timeline

by the time your case gets to interview stage, you will have the denial letter and can address whatever immigration says is a problem

Hi Adil & Jeanne,

I've read your post and just have a quick question.

Is it still possible to appeal a CR1 denial? I thought I read on another post that that is no longer possible after a year or so ago.

Thanks,

Lutz

Timeline

I want to Ask , was the wedding a Court one or church .

Yes it was a church wedding,,,we actually had all 3 ceremonies,lyk a regular Ghanaian wedding stuff,,,traditional,church n the legal signing

Edited by antwiwaa

Timeline

So sorry this happened to you...we are in the same situation. I recommend that you have your US spouse contact his senator's office to:

1) Explain to them what happened at the embassy

2) Request their assistance to contact the embassy for further clarification on the denial

Stay focus...in the end you guys will be together:)

Thnx soo much,,,this thing is just a bit difficult,got no choice but to go through,,,the things we do for love.

Timeline

I'm sorry you are going through this. Your case sounds almost exactly like ours. We have property together, had a lot of evidence, used a lawyer, etc., but my husband was denied.

He was given the 221g letter, and checklist. The checklist had nothing at all checked. He also kept asking why he was denied and the woman would not tell him, just told him I, the USC spouse, can fight it. She sent it back to USCIS. It took exactly 6 months to get from the Ghanaian embassy back to USCIS.

Now we are waiting on the additional 6 months to get word on what exactly is the problem. I met with my lawyer, and he said (I don't know how much to believe him), that having nothing checked is actually not as bad as having some kind of reason outright written as a denial.

I agree, get your congressperson involved. I did that, as well as sending letters to the embassy asking for another interview right away. It didn't work, but at least there is evidence that I didn't let it just slide by.

I really am sorry, I know it's like a punch in the gut to get a denial. You and your partner have to stay focused, strong and patient. I don't think there's anyway not around the wait for USCIS to tell you what the issue is. It will take a year from the time of denial for you to receive this (at least).

I had my lawyer file a Request for Action with the USCIS, sending in lots of additional evidence before knowing what the reason was for denial, but it has not helped.

Beginning of September 2016, it will be 6 months since USCIS has received his file back from Ghana, so then I can take action. I'm just telling you all this because it is very unlikely the time frame will be any less than one year now for you both.

Woow,,,that's a lot of time and work,,,thnx soo much for sharing this with me, we r strong people, we will go tru it with the grace of God.

Timeline

Ok...thnx,,,will tell my husband about this...thank u foe sharing.

Timeline

Were you nervous during the interview? Did u not answer some basic questions right... Let's please know what you think went wrong on your side

Yes I think I answered 2 of this questions wrong,,,like wat time it was in the US at the time of the interview,,I was a lil confused wth that,,cudnt just do the simple maths since he won't even wait for the answer before he poured in his next qtn,,,,there was another qtn of a funny story my husband told recently n i must confessed what I told him wasn't really funny,,,i cudnt remember our funniest stories,,,apart from these 2,,I think I answered every other question I was asked.

I wasn't that nervous, I actually didn't knw from the start it was the main thing, I tot it was just another routine check before the interview,,I got to knw it was the main interview mid way through wen the qtns kept pouring in...,I haven't gone for any visa interview ever so the whole thing was so new to me.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Sorry about that... It hurts to be denied especially when you know you're truly in love...other people here have better advice on how to proceed.. I'm sure they'll respond in the shortest possible time...don't give up and don't let this sink you down...get up and keep fighting cos with God all things are possible... And next time pls do mock interview preparation with your husband or friend... I'm sure you'll win in the long run

Timeline

Sorry about that... It hurts to be denied especially when you know you're truly in love...other people here have better advice on how to proceed.. I'm sure they'll respond in the shortest possible time...don't give up and don't let this sink you down...get up and keep fighting cos with God all things are possible... And next time pls do mock interview preparation with your husband or friend... I'm sure you'll win in the long run

Thnx soo much,u guys r really wonderful.

• 1 month later...
Timeline

Hello VJ members. I have a question. Our case was reaffirmed and NVC sent our case back to Ghana embassy since Aug 3rd. Our case is on AP. Why would we be in AP before our interview? Thanks.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.