20 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

A lot depends on the country of the beneficary also as high fraud countries have little chance when it comes to K 1

Many who applyfinancee visa from these countries (list of these countries can be found online) end up going back to marry adding to the timeline and expenses

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

We chose the K-1 visa, but if we had it to do again we'd probably have chosen the CR-1/IR-1 route. We applied for the K-1 in August 2012, and due to a delay on their end, we didn't get approved until February 2014 (our AP was just December 2013 to February 2014). When he arrived in May 2014, we were married and submitted our AOS paperwork within 10 days of his arrival. He didn't receive his green card until June 2015, so he'd been in the country over a year before his actual residency began. Had we applied for the marriage visa instead, I imagine our timeline for green card and his residency would have begun earlier than with the route we took. It would have been nice for us to have been able to apply for his citizenship in March of 2017, rather than his 10 year green card...

ROC

3.6.2017     Mailed I-751

3.7.2017     NOA sent

3.23.2017   Biometrics Appointment

2.26.2018   I-751 Transferred to Local Office

3.5.2018     I-751 Received in Local Office

5.1.2018     Case Transferred; Preliminary Review Done; transferred to NBC in Lee's Summit, MO

5.3.2018     Case Transferred

7.24.2018   Joint interview approved

7.30.2018   Green Card received

Naturalization

3.15.2018   Filed N 400 Online

3.15.2018   USCIS sent the receipt

3.16.2018   USCIS sent biometrics letter

6.14.2018   Interview Notice sent

7.24.2018   Naturalization Interview; approved

9.26.2018   Oath Ceremony Scheduled

Filed: Other Country: Nigeria
Timeline

both have cons and pros , and depending on your current situation defines what route to take my situation perfect fits in with the k1 so im going that route

We chose K1 and while I really underestimated what a pain AOS is and how dragging out the *overall* process to permanent residency really stinks (it does), I'd still do it again. Our circumstances were such that we wanted to be together as soon as we could and we'd just gotten engaged and didn't want to run right to the courthouse and get married, especially before he'd met my family and we'd had an engagement period. So if we'd wanted to choose the longer CR1 process, we'd have also tacked on 3 or so more months for personal reasons. So K1 just made sense from that standpoint.

From a practical standpoint, we can handle the pain of AOS and while annoying, dragging out the process isn't as much as a negative as it can be for some. That's because even if we did CR1 and he landed with a green card, there is no way I'd have expected or wanted him to work right away-- he needed to adjust and and take some language classes, and I can afford to give him that and so that lag time is time we'd have done anyway. Not the case with other people whose fiances have visited many times, speak the language, know their way around and are just ready to move on with life already. Totally different story. Highly individual. Best thing you can do is read up on the options and really try to picture what the downsides to both would mean for you and where the priority lies.

Marriage/ AOS Timeline:

23 Dec 2015: Legal marriage

23 Jan 2016: Wedding!

23 Jan 2016: "Blizzard of the Century", wedding canceled/rescheduled (thank goodness we were legally married first or we'd have had a big problem!) :sleepy:

24 Jan 2016: Small "civil ceremony" with friends and family who were snowed in with us. December was a bit of a secret and people had traveled internationally and knew we *had* to get married that weekend, and our December legal marriage was nothing but signing a piece of paper at our priest's kitchen table, without any sort of vows etc so this was actually a very special (if not legally significant) day. (L)

16 Apr 2016: Filed for AOS and EAD/AP (We delayed a bit-- no big rush, enjoying the USCIS break)

23 Apr 2016: Wedding! Finally! :luv:

27 Apr 2016: Electronic NOA1 for all 3 :dancing:
29 Apr 2016: NOA1 Hardcopy for all 3
29 Jul 2016: Online service request for late EAD (Day 104)
29 Jul 2016: EAD/AP Approved ~3 hours after online service request
04 Aug 2016: RFE for Green Card (requested medicals/ vaccination record. They already have it). :ranting:
05 Aug 2016: EAD/AP Combo Card arrived! (Day 111)
08 Aug 2016: Congressional constituent request to get guidance on the RFE. Hoping they see they have the form and approve!

K-1 Visa Timeline:

PLEASE NOTE. This timeline was during the period of time when TSC was working on I-129fs and had a huge backlog. The average processing time was 210+ days. This is in no way predictive of your own timeline if you filed during or after April 2015, unless CSC develops a backlog. A backlog is anything above the 5-month goal time listed on USCIS's site

14 Feb 2015: Mailed I-129f to Dallas Lockbox. (L) (Most expensive Valentine's card I've ever sent!)

17 Feb 2015: NOA1 "Received Date"
19 Feb 2015: NOA1 Notice Date
08 Aug 2015: NOA2 email! :luv: (173 days from NOA1)

17 Aug 2015: Sent to NVC

?? Aug 2015: Arrived at NVC

25 Aug 2015: NVC Case # Assigned

31 Aug 2015: Left NVC for Consulate in San Jose

09 Sep 2015: Consulate received :dancing: (32 days from NOA2)

11 Sep 2015: Packet 3 emailed from embassy to me, the petitioner (34 days from NOA2).

18 Sep 2015: Medicals complete

21 Sep 2015: Packet 3 complete, my boss puts a temporary moratorium on all time off due to work emergency :clock:

02 Oct 2015: Work emergency clears up, interview scheduled (soonest available was 5 business days away--Columbus Day was in there)

13 Oct 2015: Interview

13 Oct 2015: VISA APPROVED :thumbs: (236 days from NOA1)

19 Oct 2015: Visa-in-hand

24 Oct 2015: POE !

15 Dec 2015: Fiance's mother's B-2 visa interview: APPROVED! So happy she will be at the wedding! :thumbs:

!

• 2 weeks later...

I married my husband aboard I had to translate and apostillas my birth certificate and needed to have a affidavit saying I was able to marry translated and apostillas as well. It cost a lot for that but since I'm still in his country I'm able to dcf which is the fastest route to bring him to America with me. Not all countries dcf so you'd have to check on that and also what would qualify you to dcf (file at counsel or embassy)

Good luck

I love my husband ?‍?‍?

Married June 2016

Por siempre y para siempre Mi amor

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.