20 posts in this topic

Filed: FB-2 Visa Country: Bangladesh
Timeline

There's pros and cons to both. Here's a comparison chart: http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

With the K-1, you'd be together quicker but, it's more expensive and she wouldn't be able to work or travel right away since she'd need to file more forms to obtain a green card and work/travel authorization.

With the CR-1, the process takes longer but, she'd be a permanent resident as soon as she landed in the US.

F2B

(Helping aunt with cousin's petition)

01/02/2011: PD (Priority Date)
01/04/2011: I-130 NOA1

02/16/2011: I-130 NOA2

08/04/2016: Received DS-261/AOS Bill

08/06/2016: Completed DS-261/Paid AOS Bill

08/16/2016: Received IV Bill

10/11/2016: Submitted AOS/IV documentation

10/11/2016: Paid IV fee bill

10/14/2016: Submitted DS-260

It's a personal choice. Each relationship is different. Everyone's financial circumstances are different. Have a good read through the comparison and decide what is best for your circumstances. The quickest way isn't always the best way. Likewise the cheapest way may not be the best way.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

~~Moved to What Visa Do I Need, from K1 P&P as the OP is exploring both options.~~

Spoiler

Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
AOS X5
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Citizenship
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS

It seems like this is a 50/50 split between everyone here in the VJ community.

You can note the differences as how they appear on paper, in a perfect-scenario kind of way, but each case is different.

A lot of people who file K-1 say they wish they would have done CR-1. And, many CR-1 petitioners who wish they would have done K-1!

Sorry this isn't much help, but it really is an entirely personal choice.

Married: 5-July-2015
I-130 Petition Sent: 11-May-2016
NSC Received (Our Priority Date): 12-May-2016
NOA2 Received: 30-September-2016 141 days for I-130 approval
NOA2 Hard Copy Received: 06-October-2016
Petition Sent to NVC: 17-October-2016 17 days for petition to be sent to NVC
NVC Received: 21-October-2016 4 days to be received at NVC
NVC Case Number Assigned: 31-October-2016 10 days for case number to be assigned
NVC Welcome Letter Received: 3-November-2016 @ 12:10 AM 3 days from case number assigned until Welcome Letter received and invoices unlocked
IV and AOS Fees Unlocked: 3-November-2016 @ 7:00 AM
IV and AOS Fees Paid: 3-November-2016
DS-260 Unlocked: 7-November-2016 2.5 business days for DS-260 to be unlocked
DS-260 Submitted: 8-November-2016
AOS and IV Documents Sent: 9-November-2016
Scan Date: 14-November-2016 5 days to receive scan date due to a holiday/weekend
Medical expedite requested: 14-December-2016
Medical expedite approved at consulate: 19-December-2016 Expedite approved with consulate but denied at NVC; still need to wait for case complete
Case on Supervisor Review: 22-December-2016
Case sent to the Review Department: 13-January-2017
Case Complete: 24-January-2017     10 weeks and 2 days at NVC before case completed
Case arrived at consulate/CEAC status "Ready": 1-February-2017
Interview: 21-February-2017   We scheduled our own interview because we had an approved medical expedite with the consulate. By sheer luck we got such a quick interview date because someone cancelled their appointment less than 20 minutes prior
Interview Result: Approved!!
Visa Issued: 21-February-2017     Visa issued same day as interview
DHL tracking information received: 22-February-2017     DHL tracking number appeared 28 hours after interview, scheduled for delivery the next day
Visa in hand: 23-Feb-2017
US POE (Minneapolis): 26-Feb-2017

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Africa
Timeline

I've heard that the K1 visa process is quicker than the K2 (If you were to get married outside of the US) I came here on a K1 VISA the process took 5 months from the time we applied to me arriving here. My Fiance visited me halfway through the process to split our time apart. Best of Luck with your decision.

Hey guys, I would like to know which is the easier process. I've heard if I marry outside the U.S. and then file for my new wife, or apply for a K1 then go that route. Thoughts?

I've heard that the K1 visa process is quicker than the K2 (If you were to get married outside of the US) I came here on a K1 VISA the process took 5 months from the time we applied to me arriving here. My Fiance visited me halfway through the process to split our time apart. Best of Luck with your decision.

A k2 is a derivative of the k1, meaning is granted for the k1 persons children.

For married people is either a cr1/ir1 or a k3 (these are obsolete though)

A k1 is currently granted faster, but then it needs an adjustment of status after entering the USA and getting married, also costs more

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Africa
Timeline

whoops my bad typo.. thanks

A k2 is a derivative of the k1, meaning is granted for the k1 persons children.

For married people is either a cr1/ir1 or a k3 (these are obsolete though)

A k1 is currently granted faster, but then it needs an adjustment of status after entering the USA and getting married, also costs more

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Faster doesn't mean better.

The K-1 has big cons such waiting for an EAD to work and AP to travel internationally. That's 90 days of sitting around with nothing to do.

The CR-1 allows a person to work and travel internationally immediately.

Every couple will need to make the choice based on their specific situation.

Edited by aaron2020

Although at the time we filed the K1 was quicker, we chose the CR-1 and married in the U.S., then he went back to his home country.

That year apart was one of the hardest I've ever experienced. I'd choose the K1 if I had it to do all over again, in a heartbeat.

"Wherever you go, you take yourself with you." --Neil Gaiman

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Although at the time we filed the K1 was quicker, we chose the CR-1 and married in the U.S., then he went back to his home country.

That year apart was one of the hardest I've ever experienced. I'd choose the K1 if I had it to do all over again, in a heartbeat.

He could have file for AOS without having to leave the US.

He could have file for AOS without having to leave the US.

I know, but there were a few other factors (house sale pending) that made it necessary for him to return. It was a matter of timing. If we'd had no other responsibilities, I'd have chosen the K1.

"Wherever you go, you take yourself with you." --Neil Gaiman

Chose the cr1 path before marriage. Lack of travel with k1 made it not appropriate for us. We also liked that the cr1 was cheaper in immigration fees and i could work asap.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.