djw54

Which country for first in-person meeting

40 posts in this topic

I agree in principal with all of the commentators above: chances of her getting a tourist visa are slim to none; go meet her in the PI (you are potentially marrying a Filipina, so this is also a great chance to get to know her culture too). The chance of a scam is real, but to be honest, I (now) know a good number of Pinay-Kano couples and 99.99% (or more!) are honest, true couples with normal ups and downs. I started my crazy journey almost 4 and 1/2 years ago with a friend request on FB from Joan. My initial reaction was, "OK, you come here and we will check it out" I soon learned that that was not going to happen (no way for a tourist visa). To make a long story, I made four trips to the Philippines in about 12 months, brought her here on a K1 visa, and we are a month away from a very happy third wedding anniversary. Go to the Philippines. Manila sure is not my favorite, but you could meet her there and then go somewhere else. The Philippines has some of the most beautiful places in the world. Joan and I have been to Boracay (first trip), Bohol (second trip--and the "engagement" trip), Manila (3rd and 4th trips--4th trip was the "interview" trip where we canceled a a trip to Cebu to take care of the embassy stuff), and recently Zambales (with the family) and El Nido. Each trip has its special memories for us and for our family in the PI. Go. Embrace the Philippines and get to know your future wife on her turf. Best of luck to both of you.

Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
Joan got her passport! 2/20/13
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13
Embassy Interview APPROVED 6/6/13

Joan passed through immigration in Hawaii! She's home! 6/13/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

AOS, EAD and AP petitions sent to Chicago via Express Mail

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

AOS Interview APPROVED 11/26/13

2-year Green Card in hand 12/5/13

ROC (I-751) sent to CSC via USPS Express Mail 8/31/15

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

ROC Approval 4/6/16 (waiting for actual card)

Permanent Green Card Arrived 4/14/16
Naturalization Interview 2/22/17 APPROVED!

Oath Ceremony 3/21/17--Joan is a US Citizen!

Dual Citizenship 7/7/22 Joan is now a Dual US/Filipino Citizen!

Kayak small lagoon crop 10 72 for VJ.jpg

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Be prepared to have a backup plan after you land in phil. I know two people that have flown there to meet someone they met online only to find that nobody was at the airport to meet them. Online scams are rampant and is viewed as a means of income now im sorry to say. Watch out for the "i live with my cousin and my neices and nephews" story as well. I hate to be a cynic but ive met so many people that have been burned. Even my fiance will warn you to be extremely careful with your money.

Filed: Timeline

Have to echo what others have said. Plan yourself a little vacation. Stay in Makati,do some sightseeing, buy a local sim card and call her. If she is real you can book a cheap flight on cebu pacific. Take it from there, take it slowly.

AOS Filed : July 12
NoA Date : July 29
Bio. Appt. : Aug 11
RFE for AOS Sept 6
RFE response Sept 13
RFE #2 NOV 5 (114 days)
RFE hardcopy arrived Nov 9 2016

Had 3025 transcribed by a civil surgeon.
Mailed back to uscis
127 days=485 . . 89 days=EAD
Nov 16 2016
Nov 27 New Card Being Produced

Nov 28 Approved

Dec 2 Card mailed

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Have to echo what others have said. Plan yourself a little vacation. Stay in Makati,do some sightseeing, buy a local sim card and call her. If she is real you can book a cheap flight on cebu pacific. Take it from there, take it slowly.

I agree with this, and if this one does not work out it will give you an opportunity to look around.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Definitely meet in the Philippines. If you do end up flying her to meet you in Cebu or Manila, you can book her airfare for her online. I recommend not sending cash.

If you consider flying her to another country, google "offloading Philippines".

AOS

11.23.16 - AOS/EAD/AP Filed

12.12.16 - NOA1 Email

01.09.17 - Biometrics Appt

03.16.17 - EAD Approved/Card Being Produced

03.29.17 - Received EAD/AP Combo Card

04.21.17 - Green Card Received

ROC

02.01.19 - Filed

02.27.19 - NOA

April?       - Biometrics

01.15.20 - Approved/Card Being Produced

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

meet her in manila, its safer there…and just be careful, know her deeper and try to go on video chat…sadly some can just be setting you up, hope i have not offended you

No offense taken. I do need to know her better. Posters have suggested Cebu as safer and nice place to visit. Thanks.

Timeline

If you are worried about scams then definitely take your time and get to know her or any other person you meet.

Also, if she is desperate to come to the US then that may be the bigger goal rather than asking for a few bucks for you to send her every now and then.

It does seem that she is anxious to come to the US. She brings it up everyday. So far she mentioned that she will need some money to go to Manila for passport and visa. Thanks

Timeline

ROFL

Have you suggested she pays her own way?

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Timeline

Definitely meet in the Philippines. If you do end up flying her to meet you in Cebu or Manila, you can book her airfare for her online. I recommend not sending cash.

If you consider flying her to another country, google "offloading Philippines".

Good advice and thanks for "offloading" info. too.

Timeline

ROFL

Have you suggested she pays her own way?

Have thought of this, but based on what she says about her financial situation she could not afford it. I don't have a problem with paying her airfare to Cebu or Manila, but definitely will not pay for a trip to the US until I have met here in person and things go well for us. Thanks

Timeline

She can not afford a trip, so how is she going to get a visa?

Timeline

Be prepared to have a backup plan after you land in phil. I know two people that have flown there to meet someone they met online only to find that nobody was at the airport to meet them. Online scams are rampant and is viewed as a means of income now im sorry to say. Watch out for the "i live with my cousin and my neices and nephews" story as well. I hate to be a cynic but ive met so many people that have been burned. Even my fiance will warn you to be extremely careful with your money.

Wow. Yeah, she's said that she lives with her grand parents. She sent me a photo of herself with them, of course they could be just anybody. Going to be very cautious. Thanks

Timeline

She can not afford a trip, so how is she going to get a visa?

I would have to pay for here visa process, but based on my gut and advice here, I've decided no-way I will pay to fly her here. I will pay for airfare to meet her somewhere in Phils. Thanks

Timeline

Good plan! Thanks

Timeline

I agree in principal with all of the commentators above: chances of her getting a tourist visa are slim to none; go meet her in the PI (you are potentially marrying a Filipina, so this is also a great chance to get to know her culture too). The chance of a scam is real, but to be honest, I (now) know a good number of Pinay-Kano couples and 99.99% (or more!) are honest, true couples with normal ups and downs. I started my crazy journey almost 4 and 1/2 years ago with a friend request on FB from Joan. My initial reaction was, "OK, you come here and we will check it out" I soon learned that that was not going to happen (no way for a tourist visa). To make a long story, I made four trips to the Philippines in about 12 months, brought her here on a K1 visa, and we are a month away from a very happy third wedding anniversary. Go to the Philippines. Manila sure is not my favorite, but you could meet her there and then go somewhere else. The Philippines has some of the most beautiful places in the world. Joan and I have been to Boracay (first trip), Bohol (second trip--and the "engagement" trip), Manila (3rd and 4th trips--4th trip was the "interview" trip where we canceled a a trip to Cebu to take care of the embassy stuff), and recently Zambales (with the family) and El Nido. Each trip has its special memories for us and for our family in the PI. Go. Embrace the Philippines and get to know your future wife on her turf. Best of luck to both of you.

Wow! Thanks for sharing your journey and advice. I think you make an especially good point about learning the culture. Congratulations on your almost 3yr anniversary!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.