jg121783

NVC Phase of CR-1 Visa - A Few Questions

373 posts in this topic

So my wife and I are making initial plans for when and how her and my step son will get here. My step son is in school currently which doesn't end until March. Now it looks like there is a possibility they could have their visas around December - January. My wife wants to fly here right away when they get their visas and leave my step son with her mother so he can finish school then we would both fly back there sometime after March to get my step son. What process does my wife have to go through to be able to leave the US and return? Is it viable for her to be able to do this in a 2-3 month time frame after arriving in the US? Also I was going to fly to the Philippines as soon as the visas were issued but it might be better to save the money for when we go get my step son so my wife would be flying here alone. Are there any potential issues she might face at the airport when she arrives in the US that would make it better for me to be with her? She will be flying into Chicago if that makes a difference.

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

Hi for all I know your wife shouldn't have any issues going back to the Philippines to bring her son back to the USA. Now for flying into Chicago wow that's one huge airport I hope that you can meet her there after she clears customs. Good luck

Hi for all I know your wife shouldn't have any issues going back to the Philippines to bring her son back to the USA. Now for flying into Chicago wow that's one huge airport I hope that you can meet her there after she clears customs. Good luck

I will be waiting for her right at the exit from customs. I flew in and out of that airport twice already and I dont think it will be too hard for her to find me after customs. It is the customs process I am worried about, I'm sure if there are no issues things will be fine though.

On another note I just called the NVC to see if they received the cases yet. The person I talked to said they are not in the system yet (figured that much) and I should wait 6 weeks before I call back. Are they just telling me that so I don't bother them or could it really take that long? Should I still call them once every week or 2 as the Visa Journey guide suggests?

Hi my stepdaughter got approved on July 1 case sent to nvc July 11. Receive on July 15 no case # yet told today to call back in 2 weeks

Follow my time line

So my wife and I are making initial plans for when and how her and my step son will get here. My step son is in school currently which doesn't end until March. Now it looks like there is a possibility they could have their visas around December - January. My wife wants to fly here right away when they get their visas and leave my step son with her mother so he can finish school then we would both fly back there sometime after March to get my step son.

He will probably repeat in the US the grade he is currently in in the Philippines for many reasons. There is no compelling reason to fully complete whatever grade he currently is in. I would recommend entering the US asap, begin the acclimation process (learn how to assemble a snowman) and begin his English immersion so he will be better prepared to enter whatever grade he tests into.

What process does my wife have to go through to be able to leave the US and return? Is it viable for her to be able to do this in a 2-3 month time frame after arriving in the US? Also I was going to fly to the Philippines as soon as the visas were issued but it might be better to save the money for when we go get my step son so my wife would be flying here alone. Are there any potential issues she might face at the airport when she arrives in the US that would make it better for me to be with her? She will be flying into Chicago if that makes a difference.

ORD as you know is relatively easy to traverse especially when you're not transferring to another domestic flight. My recommendation is to travel together as a family unit instead of over several transpac flights. As long as Lisa has a GC in her possession there are no issues in leaving and re-entering the US.

IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Manila, Philippines
Marriage (if applicable): 2014-05-17
I-130 Sent : 2014-06-23
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-06-25
I-130 RFE : 2014-08-11 (Wanted NSO Marriage Certificate, not LCR)
I-130 RFE Sent : 2014-08-14
I-130 Approved : 2014-08-27
NVC Received : 2014-09-15
Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2014-09-17
Pay AOS Bill : 2014-09-17
Submit DS-261 : 2014-09-17
Send AOS Package : 2014-09-19
Receive IV Bill : 2014-10-03
Pay IV Bill : 2014-10-03
Received Interview Letter by E-mail: 2015-03-20 (May 5, 2015)
SLEC completed: 2015-04-22
Visa Approved: 2015-05-05
Visa Issued: 2015-05-15 (221g for no CENOMAR!)

Visa Received: 2015-05-21

POE: Chicago 2015-09-14

GC Received: 2015-11-17

I will be waiting for her right at the exit from customs. I flew in and out of that airport twice already and I dont think it will be too hard for her to find me after customs. It is the customs process I am worried about, I'm sure if there are no issues things will be fine though.

Both immigration and customs are relatively easy, especially if you have nothing to declare. Word of warning though... Leave all uneaten food on the plane! We ran up against a 225+# female CBP agent that got all bent out of shape when she saw half a sub in my asawa's carry on bag after we stated we were not importing any foodstuffs!!!

On another note I just called the NVC to see if they received the cases yet. The person I talked to said they are not in the system yet (figured that much) and I should wait 6 weeks before I call back. Are they just telling me that so I don't bother them or could it really take that long? Should I still call them once every week or 2 as the Visa Journey guide suggests?

Calling from my experience isn't going to accelerate getting into the queue any faster than not calling. When it's your time yours will float to the top and the fun process will start. Better to get all your docs lined up and ready to mail when you do finally get your case #.

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

So my wife and I are making initial plans for when and how her and my step son will get here. My step son is in school currently which doesn't end until March. Now it looks like there is a possibility they could have their visas around December - January. My wife wants to fly here right away when they get their visas and leave my step son with her mother so he can finish school then we would both fly back there sometime after March to get my step son.

He will probably repeat in the US the grade he is currently in in the Philippines for many reasons. There is no compelling reason to fully complete whatever grade he currently is in. I would recommend entering the US asap, begin the acclimation process (learn how to assemble a snowman) and begin his English immersion so he will be better prepared to enter whatever grade he tests into.

What process does my wife have to go through to be able to leave the US and return? Is it viable for her to be able to do this in a 2-3 month time frame after arriving in the US? Also I was going to fly to the Philippines as soon as the visas were issued but it might be better to save the money for when we go get my step son so my wife would be flying here alone. Are there any potential issues she might face at the airport when she arrives in the US that would make it better for me to be with her? She will be flying into Chicago if that makes a difference.

ORD as you know is relatively easy to traverse especially when you're not transferring to another domestic flight. My recommendation is to travel together as a family unit instead of over several transpac flights. As long as Lisa has a GC in her possession there are no issues in leaving and re-entering the US.

Both immigration and customs are relatively easy, especially if you have nothing to declare. Word of warning though... Leave all uneaten food on the plane! We ran up against a 225+# female CBP agent that got all bent out of shape when she saw half a sub in my asawa's carry on bag after we stated we were not importing any foodstuffs!!!

Calling from my experience isn't going to accelerate getting into the queue any faster than not calling. When it's your time yours will float to the top and the fun process will start. Better to get all your docs lined up and ready to mail when you do finally get your case #.

Maybe you are right about bringing James here right away instead of waiting until he finishes school. I just figured since he is in the first year that they teach English in school currently it might help him with his English but maybe it is just better to bring him here and throw him into it right away. To be honest he might not have all the pronounciations down but I was able to communicate with him without too much trouble when I was there so I think he will pick it up quickly. My 5 year old nephew can speak better English than his parents because he has heard Lisa speak English so much. It is crazy how much he understands and can even speak. I guess it is true what they say that the younger you are the easier it is to learn a language. Maybe that is why my Tagalog isn't improving very much lol.

The issue I am trying to figure out right now is what if they get their visas before the end of the year but I can't get time off work to fly there until I get some paid time in January? Do I have them fly here without me or do I wait until January? Things are getting really busy at work now and it will be real hard to get unpaid time off approved. That is good for getting a lot of overtime. I will have to try to balance my overtime and the money I need versus the stuff I need to get ready at home and the visa paperwork. This is happening a lot quicker than I counted on and I was caught off guard. Now I need to get on the ball and stay on top of everything. Wish me luck hahaha.

By the way Lisa asked me the other day what brass balls means and I didn't quite know how to answer. :unsure: She has been reading this forum a lot recently trying to estimate herself how long the rest of the process will take. She has been getting really excited the last few weeks but I don't want her to get her hopes up because you never know what could happen. This is the US government we are talking about. All we can do is stay ahead of everything and hope for the best outcome. That to me would be if they get here before Christmas but I wont get my hopes up on that yet.

Maybe you are right about bringing James here right away instead of waiting until he finishes school. I just figured since he is in the first year that they teach English in school currently it might help him with his English but maybe it is just better to bring him here and throw him into it right away. To be honest he might not have all the pronounciations down but I was able to communicate with him without too much trouble when I was there so I think he will pick it up quickly. My 5 year old nephew can speak better English than his parents because he has heard Lisa speak English so much. It is crazy how much he understands and can even speak. I guess it is true what they say that the younger you are the easier it is to learn a language. Maybe that is why my Tagalog isn't improving very much lol.

The issue I am trying to figure out right now is what if they get their visas before the end of the year but I can't get time off work to fly there until I get some paid time in January? Do I have them fly here without me or do I wait until January? Things are getting really busy at work now and it will be real hard to get unpaid time off approved. That is good for getting a lot of overtime. I will have to try to balance my overtime and the money I need versus the stuff I need to get ready at home and the visa paperwork. This is happening a lot quicker than I counted on and I was caught off guard. Now I need to get on the ball and stay on top of everything. Wish me luck hahaha.

By the way Lisa asked me the other day what brass balls means and I didn't quite know how to answer. :unsure: She has been reading this forum a lot recently trying to estimate herself how long the rest of the process will take. She has been getting really excited the last few weeks but I don't want her to get her hopes up because you never know what could happen. This is the US government we are talking about. All we can do is stay ahead of everything and hope for the best outcome. That to me would be if they get here before Christmas but I wont get my hopes up on that yet.

Personally, I would let the economics of the situation be the deciding factor rather your desire to 'be together'. That's a decision that you and Lisa will have to resolve.

Yeah, language is funny. I never thought Marilyn would be at her level of comprehension and have as much vocabulary in her repertoire at 9 months as she does. Totally amazing to me.

I'm sure Lisa and son would be able to travel alone. Many have done so in the past without issue. Having you to support would make it much easier though.

Brass Balls = cool to the initial touch but warm up quickly when held. :):)

IR-1/CR-1 Visa

I have a step son, may five years older then your lad, but he left school in the middle of the Philippine school year and we placed him shortly after he arrived in school. The nice thing for you as parents the school year goes beyond the Filipino school calendar so that can help your child. At the age they adapt pretty easily. My son now is on the A/B honor roll consistently.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Hi just like my stepdaughter she's in her last year of high school depending upon when she gets her interview date I will decide when to bring her here I have her in a private Christian school now learning English language and culture and she's getting good at it

Hi my stepdaughter got approved on July 1 case sent to nvc July 11. Receive on July 15 no case # yet told today to call back in 2 weeks

Follow my time line

Just got off the phone with NVC. They told me both cases were received on the 21st. They said expect case numbers in about 2 weeks. Looks like your case is exactly 1 week ahead of my cases so far. I will be watching your timeline. Good thing I didn't listen to the person at NVC last week who said wait 6 weeks. Guess it's time to get all my documents and money for fees together.

As soon as I hear anything I will update my time line for you to follow. I called nvc today they said and I quote we will email you your case# to look for it on Friday

As soon as I hear anything I will update my time line for you to follow. I called nvc today they said and I quote we will email you your case# to look for it on Friday

They told me if I gave USCIS my email they would email me the case numbers also.

I want to get a jump start on everything so I am working on putting the AOS and IV paperwork together. I am wondering will the NVC give me one case number for both my wife and step son or seperate numbers? Can I combine their AOS and IV paperwork or should they be seperate like the I-130s? I have almost everything I need to put all the paperwork together. Just waiting for my wife to get the NBI certificate and send me scans of the passports. Just got my IRS transcripts in the mail and all I need is an employer letter. As far as IRS transcripts go do I need to send in 3 years worth or is just last years fine? By the way let me know if you get your case number today Teddy. If you do I'll be calling next Friday.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.