chicha

Divorce waiver petition anyone in same boat?

1 post in this topic

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline
Hi all,
My ex and I were visiting VisaJourney since we worked on K-1 visa. I'm back here, and posting my journey so far on ROC in the hope that if approved, it will serve as useful info for others. And if I get an interview, I'll post the notes as the journey continues.
- I met my ex-spouse (US Citizen) when I was a student in US in 2009. I went back to China in 2010, and my ex-spouse petitioned a K-1 visa in April 2013.
- I came back to US and married ex-spouse in May 2013. I obtained conditional green card in December 2013.
- Ex-spouse and I separated in April 2014 primarily due to in-law issues, and also personality conflicts and cultural differences. Divorce was finalized in October 2014.
-I submitted I-751 with no attorney help in June 2015, including affidavits (me, ex-spouse, rabbi, marriage counselor), joint bank account history, jointed tax return, health insurance, photos. This month (April 2016, I received a RFE asking for more evidence of "shared assets and responsibilities", and overall evidence of good faith marriage.
I purposefully delayed the RFE response because I had two overseas trips to make, knowing my green card status is still valid in the meantime. After I came back, I assembled the following packet and sent it to USCIS on June 8th.
- Second affidavit of mine (explained my bad credit that prevented us from getting loans together, issues with in-laws and dissatisfaction living in the same residence due to vicinity to the in-laws). - My ex refused to submit one testifying that I lived there throughout the marriage and he bought a car for my use.
- Verizon customer agreement, record of my ex purchasing a used car (I don't know how useful they are since my name is not on it, as I explained the credit problem.
- Hospital records with ex as emergency support, related to a breakdown I had at end of the marriage.
- 2014 MA 1099-HC showing my health coverage till date of divorce (6 months after separation)
- Dentist records show both names, some blood test invoices sent to then home address
- Printed the emails during marriage (I selected 10, showing daily reminders, etc)
- Individual psychoterapy (last time I submitted couple therapy notes) with reference to family problems
- Printed Facebook posts, that I organized by theme and date showing day to day life and struggles
- Printed Weibo photos showing day-to-day life.
Problems with my submission- I lost a lot of valuable documents since my ex threw them out. I also didn't have pictures with in-laws and affidavits from them for obvious reasons- I divorced because of them!
I felt in the initial packet, the real valuable pieces are joint bank statements, 2014 tax return, health/dental/vision insurance, rabbi's affidavit, psychotherapist's affidavit along with therapy notes.
In my response to RFE, I felt most evidence was weak but they were all that I have. I consulted a few lawyers for both original and RFE, and I was told my initial submission was "adequate" and as long as I add something that would be good. However I did FORGET to include my driver's license, received toward end of marriage, with then home address on.
Overall I am not intimidated with a potential interview but really would like to get it done. My marriage was genuine and so are the issues led to the divorce.

------------------------------------------------------------

2003-08-21: first visit to US on F-1

2009-09-17: first met ex-spouse

2013-05-14: re-entered US on K-1

2013-05-20: married to ex-spouse

2013-12-27: received conditional green card

2014-04-01: separated from ex-spouse

2014-10-01: divorced from ex-spouse

2015-06-25: sent I-751

2016-04-11: received RFE

2016-06-08: sent RFE reply

2016-09-20: new card ordered

2016-09-23: new card mailed

2016-09-28: new card picked up by USPS

2016-09-30: new card delivered

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.