catdog514

Consular interview in Bogota, Colombia questions...

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Colombia
Timeline

Hey everyone,

I'm specifically looking for folks that have gone through or are currently going through the K-1 visa interview process in Bogota, Colombia.

I am a bit confused at this point because our case was received and is in "READY" status at the consular in Bogota. So we submitted the DS-160 and paid the $265.00 and scheduled the appointments for fingerprints and the interview. My fiance is ready to schedule the medical appointment(s), and we have all the documents ready for him to take to the interview.

My confusion is this: when we call the embassy they tell us that we have to wait for the instruction packet from them, which can take 7 weeks. So what did you all do? Did you have some sort of appointment letter from the embassy? Do we have to wait for something from them? Why does our case status say "READY" if it is not? Just looking for some advice, personal experiences, etc. from folks who have been through this part of the process in Bogota.

Thanks in advance. Sorry if this answer exists, I couldn't find a clear answer and some of the info in the Colombia portal is incorrect or outdated..

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

I never receive the instruction packet (PKT 3) in the mail!. I emailed them then they emailed me with the Instruction Packet. You should email them instead of waiting up to 7 wks try this link http://bogota.usembassy.gov/visas/visa-section-contact-information.html

Timeline

I never receive the instruction packet (PKT 3) in the mail!. I emailed them then they emailed me with the Instruction Packet. You should email them instead of waiting up to 7 wks try this link http://bogota.usembassy.gov/visas/visa-section-contact-information.html

Thanks, we did email them and call them and they just told us to wait. They said in the email that our case was still under review, but the online case status says ready.

Did you deal with the embassy in Bogota? I'm asking because your profile says Vietnam and I am hoping to get some advice directly from folks who worked with Bogota. Thanks.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Colombia
Timeline

We made our appointment through the embassy online and also got the info via email. It was sent to us after the appointment was made.

Edited by E and R

K1 Visa

12/30/15: Visa Received

AOS

CIS Office : Seattle WA

03/29/16: Date Filed

04/11/16: NOA Date

05/11/16: Bio. Appt.

04/20/16: Case updated to fingerprint fee received

04/20/16: Case updated to Case is ready to be scheduled for interview as of 03-17-16

05/11/16: Bio. Appt.

06/06/16: RFIE Mail / I-864 1040 tax form (missing) resent overnight shipping. Second submission of 1040 form for 2015

08/09/16: Status update to interview scheduled for September 13th

08/17/16: Status updated to interview cancelled

08/18/16: Status updated to interview scheduled for September 20th with corrected receipt number. AKA "D" day

12/01/16: Interview: Verbal Approval

12/06/16: Status update to card has been mailed

EAD

03/29/16: Date Filed :

Case rejected for invalid fee and/or signature (failed to sign both areas - Doh!)

04/18/16: Date refiled

04/19/16: NOA -Case Received

07/20/16: Case updated to card being produced

07/26/16: Card received priority 3 day mail

Timeline

We made our appointment through the embassy online.

Did you receive anything from the embassy before you scheduled or completed the interview?

Timeline

I am right in the middle of this right now. Case says ready. We didnt receive email from embassy yet either and I emailed with the bgt number and they say they are waiting because they didnt have all the documents. I have no clue what documents they are waiting for because everything says its ready.

This the content of the email

"Thank you for contacting the Immigrant Visa Unit. We would like to inform you that the case has been transferred from the NVC, however all the required documentation has not been received. As soon as your case is complete, we will contact the petitioner with specific instructions on how to proceed"

Everyone I spoke to says the 3 and 4 packets are all in one, emailed together and it seems very generic what everyone forwarded to me without any specific information. I havent submitted the D160 yet but are prepared. Have you received a hard copy mail from NVC? I havent seen mine yet, it arrived today but I am in Colombia and awaiting my sister to scan it over to me. The only thing Im waiting on is that they said to wait.

You can also check in at the forum page of Colombia K1 visa that is under Mexico South America portion of the forum.

K1 Journey Begins

NOA1 on March 3, 2016

NOA2 on May 26, 2016

NVC Rcvd Case June 13, 2016

NVC Case and Rcpt # June 16, 2016

Case to Embassy June 16, 2016

Case Ready at Embassy June 20, 2016

Lab July 8 for minor and July 11, 2016 for Fiance

Medical July 11, 2016

Biometrics ACS July 12, 2016

Interview Approved July 14, 2016

Visa Issued via DHL July 16

Visa Arrived July 1

POE September 23, 2016 JFK

Marriage !!!!!!!!!!!! September 30, 2016

Next Step AOS..........

• November 12, 2016 - Express mail to Chicago Lockbox
  • December 5, 2016 - Electronic Notifiaction for AOS, rcvd 11/15
  • December 11, 2016 - NOA1 for EAD, 765 and 485, also accepted fingerprint fee.
  • December 28, 2016 - Biometrics
  • February 14 - EAD  & Advanced Parole Approved and being mailed. 
  • May 4 2017. Approved without interview, Card being Produced
  • May 7, 2017 recvd approval for i485
  • May 10 2017 rcvd Green Cards in mail.!!
  • Next step in 20 months to remove conditions.

Removal of Conditions Begins by end of first week of February

• February 5, 2019   - Printing package;
  • February 11, 2019 - ROC package mailed;
  • February 13, 2019 - Package delivered to Dallas Tx;
  • February 15, 2019 - Credit Card Charged;
  • February 19, 2019 - Electronic Notification Rec'd, Case Location LIN - Nebraska;
  • February 21, 2019 - Received NOA with 18 month extension for wife ONLY, not 14yo dependent who is on application;
  • March 12, 2019      - Notified USCIS that we never rcvd i797 for 14 yo minor, they provided a case # and submitted a Svc Request
  • May 2.2019             -  No forward motion, we called again and despite there was an officer assigned to this service request nothing happened/ no extension. We filed an InfoPass and have an appointment for Monday 6th for passport stamp.
  • May 6, 2019 - Attended InfoPass appointment in Philadelphia local USCIS local office for 930. This was for a never rcvd 797 for our 14yo dependent. Arrived 9:15, not crowded at all. No extra photos or fingerprint taken. We were in the car (lots of parking available) at 945. Pleasant female officer, she updated and checked for no changes. Stamped passport, explained is valid for 1 year. The took the green card which expired 5/4/19. No issues or problems.. I asked about the non receipt and she said it's pretty common.. 
  • August 23 - Biometrics NOA, scheduled for 9/3 @1pm
  • September 3 - Biometrics
  • September 4 -Fingerprint Review was completed
  • January 8 - ROC, Card Being Processed, Citizenship is next!
  • January 15 2020  - Cards Delivered

N400 Citizenship :)

• November 28, 2020     - N400 Filed online and paid via CC
  • November 28, 2020     - NOA received electronically

Timeline

We made our appointment through the embassy online and also got the info via email. It was sent to us after the appointment was made.

okay thank you. Was what you received from the embassy specific to your case or a generic instruction packet?

Timeline

This is exactly what we are looking to hear...

Thanks

K1 Journey Begins

NOA1 on March 3, 2016

NOA2 on May 26, 2016

Medical July 11, 2016

Visa Arrived July 1

Next Step AOS..........

• February 19, 2019 - Electronic Notification Rec'd, Case Location LIN - Nebraska;
  • February 21, 2019 - Received NOA with 18 month extension for wife ONLY, not 14yo dependent who is on application;
  • March 12, 2019      - Notified USCIS that we never rcvd i797 for 14 yo minor, they provided a case # and submitted a Svc Request
  • May 2.2019             -  No forward motion, we called again and despite there was an officer assigned to this service request nothing happened/ no extension. We filed an InfoPass and have an appointment for Monday 6th for passport stamp.
  • May 6, 2019 - Attended InfoPass appointment in Philadelphia local USCIS local office for 930. This was for a never rcvd 797 for our 14yo dependent. Arrived 9:15, not crowded at all. No extra photos or fingerprint taken. We were in the car (lots of parking available) at 945. Pleasant female officer, she updated and checked for no changes. Stamped passport, explained is valid for 1 year. The took the green card which expired 5/4/19. No issues or problems.. I asked about the non receipt and she said it's pretty common.. 

Timeline

I am right in the middle of this right now. Case says ready. We didnt receive email from embassy yet either and I emailed with the bgt number and they say they are waiting because they didnt have all the documents. I have no clue what documents they are waiting for because everything says its ready.

This the content of the email

"Thank you for contacting the Immigrant Visa Unit. We would like to inform you that the case has been transferred from the NVC, however all the required documentation has not been received. As soon as your case is complete, we will contact the petitioner with specific instructions on how to proceed"

Everyone I spoke to says the 3 and 4 packets are all in one, emailed together and it seems very generic what everyone forwarded to me without any specific information. I havent submitted the D160 yet but are prepared. Have you received a hard copy mail from NVC? I havent seen mine yet, it arrived today but I am in Colombia and awaiting my sister to scan it over to me. The only thing Im waiting on is that they said to wait.

You can also check in at the forum page of Colombia K1 visa that is under Mexico South America portion of the forum.

How confusing, right? When I emailed them they said that our case was still "under review" but online it says "ready."

Here are the links I found for packet 3/4 in english: http://photos.state.gov/libraries/consulate/29633/consular_images/IVPkt3-4Instforinterviewmedicalexam_Feb2016_.pdf

and in spanish: http://photos.state.gov/libraries/consulate/29633/consular_images/IVPkt3-4Instparalacitayexamenmedico_Feb2016_.pdf

When I try to call the embassy from the US I can't get through. My fiance called from Colombia and they told him to wait for instructions from them. But we already scheduled the interview appointment for July 15th, so I am worried that they won't contact us before then. I am not sure if we need to wait to hear from them or if we can go ahead since it says "ready" and we have all the documents ready to bring with us. I am concerned about scheduling the medical appointments too early if we end up having to reschedule the interview appointment.

I received my letter from the NVC in the mail. It just says that the NVC is forwarding the petition to the embassy in Bogota and that they will contact us when they are ready. It gives this link for the next steps: http://nvc.state.gov/k1

Can you post the link for the Mexico South America portion of the forum? Let me know if you hear anything..

Timeline

K1 Journey Begins

NOA1 on March 3, 2016

NOA2 on May 26, 2016

Medical July 11, 2016

Visa Arrived July 1

Next Step AOS..........

Timeline

How confusing, right? When I emailed them they said that our case was still "under review" but online it says "ready."

Here are the links I found for packet 3/4 in english: http://photos.state.gov/libraries/consulate/29633/consular_images/IVPkt3-4Instforinterviewmedicalexam_Feb2016_.pdf

and in spanish: http://photos.state.gov/libraries/consulate/29633/consular_images/IVPkt3-4Instparalacitayexamenmedico_Feb2016_.pdf

When I try to call the embassy from the US I can't get through. My fiance called from Colombia and they told him to wait for instructions from them. But we already scheduled the interview appointment for July 15th, so I am worried that they won't contact us before then. I am not sure if we need to wait to hear from them or if we can go ahead since it says "ready" and we have all the documents ready to bring with us. I am concerned about scheduling the medical appointments too early if we end up having to reschedule the interview appointment.

I received my letter from the NVC in the mail. It just says that the NVC is forwarding the petition to the embassy in Bogota and that they will contact us when they are ready. It gives this link for the next steps: http://nvc.state.gov/k1

Can you post the link for the Mexico South America portion of the forum? Let me know if you hear anything..

Absolutely it has become confusing... I thought I had it all figured out and now at the end they threw a monkey wrench with their responses..

K1 Journey Begins

NOA1 on March 3, 2016

NOA2 on May 26, 2016

Medical July 11, 2016

Visa Arrived July 1

Next Step AOS..........

Timeline

Absolutely it has become confusing... I thought I had it all figured out and now at the end they threw a monkey wrench with their responses..

Well let's keep each other posted. Hopefully we figure it out soon!

Timeline

This is the concerning one.... Just now I spoke to several people who just went through it (Colombians). They all said the had no issue with the interview or times of Dr, lab and biometrics the few days before the interview. Three different people with exact same circumstance for us just said they all went forward and scheduled as you did. Im gonna do the same thing right now...

I will keep you advised as well

K1 Journey Begins

NOA1 on March 3, 2016

NOA2 on May 26, 2016

Medical July 11, 2016

Visa Arrived July 1

Next Step AOS..........

Timeline

CDM, check this info out....

this is the link but text below in k1 sectionis pretty concise

http://www.visajourney.com/consulates/index.php?ctry=Colombia&cty=Bogota

What forms should be send back to the Consulate?

The following guide is intended to help K1 visa petitioners. It may also apply to other types of petitions, and does for K3 visa petitions.

1. Once your I-129F is approved (NOA2), your case will be forwarded to the National Visa Center.
2. Start calling NVC everyday about 2 days after your I-129F has been approved at: 603-334-0700 press 1 then 5. You will need to reach a live person to get information on your case since the NVC’s automated system does not handle K1 visas.
Give this person your case #, they will let you know if your package has been received. Once NVC receives your case, they will assign a new case # that will begin with BGTXXXXXXXXXX. Make sure you get the new case # and write it down.

A. If it has not been received.
Keep calling every few days until they receive it. Don’t pay attention
to their script. They will tell you it may take 4 weeks for them to receive your case. It does not usually take that long. Sometimes it only takes a few days.

B. If your case has been received.
Ask them if it has been forwarded to the embassy. If your case has not been forwarded, wait a day and then call again. NVC does not usually hold the cases more than a few days.

3. After NVC sends your package to the embassy it should arrive in approximately 3 business days via DHL. Your package will also be sent electronically to the embassy but it needs to physically arrive before the embassy takes action. Track your package here: https://ceac.state.gov/ceac/

4. When you estimate that your package has arrived at the embassy send an email to ivbogota@state.gov and request the instructions to complete the fiance visa process.

5.You do NOT need to wait until you receive package 3 to fill the ds160 and schedule your interview

K1 Journey Begins

NOA1 on March 3, 2016

NOA2 on May 26, 2016

Medical July 11, 2016

Visa Arrived July 1

Next Step AOS..........

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

As soon as the package from the NVC got to the embassy we paid the visa fee and filled the Ds160

We were ready and we thought the packege from the embassy wouldn't take long at all

And it did, almost a month so I tell you be patient and wait for the lackege; don't buy any flight or scheduled with the doctor till you get it first.

That would be your green light to complete the process.

Good luck to ya'll ??

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.