annabelle101

UNDECIDED. On tourist visa planning to marry US Citizen. What's next?

36 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

Yes I just wanted to clarify that for the OP's benefit (and anyone else in a similar situation reading this) that only as the spouse of a USC will she be able to stay and adjust, not as a girlfriend.

I am aware of that. Undecided because I have a responsibility to my daughter and for my soon to be husband. I want to be able to fulfill my obligations to both. And do all that, if even possible, with us all in one continent. =)

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Certainly possible for you to be all on one continent.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

I did wonder the same...

There was a very similar thread recently where the OP came to visit her parents and married the neighbour two months after first setting eyes on him and then adjusted. I did wonder if this romance was the result of realising how long the wait is for the daughter of a USC or LPR is.

Similar but my situation is definitely not a result of what you're trying to imply. I would have done all this before my daughter turned 18, if that was my goal in the first place. Duhhh! Smh.

Timeline

Daughters normally marry, fact of life.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Really don't know why some people here makes unnecessary comments that are neither helpful nor warranted. Since this forum is all about people trying to get in, live or stay in the US one way or another. What makes your situation legit than the rest?! Geeezzzz!! The nerve of some people to judge. I don't know you and you don't know me.

Obviously a green card or an acquired US citizenship doesn't include brains and manners.

Timeline

You wanted to know your daughters option, that is the obvious one. Work, Study etc are others but they may not be permanent.

If you don't want to be separated from your daughter, can your new boyfriend move to your country? The beauty of international marriages is that there is usually more than one option on where to live.

Not an option for us. I wish that's possible. I lived and worked as an expat for years. It certainly offers a beautiful, exciting lifestyle. He has kids that he's co parenting. So crossed that out from the very start.

Daughters normally marry, fact of life.

Daughters and sons. Yes, that is true. But my daughter is only 18, already in college and wants to be a doctor/pathologist.

Considering the student visa option for her, so she can continue her education. Marriage and working, for my daughter is out of the question.

Your daughter would require you to file for her after obtaining LPR status. However you do so. If you choose you can get married and do the CR1 route which allows your daughter 6-12 more months of mommy time. :)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Hungary
Timeline

Don't get married and instead go for fiancée visa - the only way your daughter can come at the same time with you at her age.

USC fiancé would file I-129f and list your daughter under proper section and once approved the petition will go to Manila for visa interview and issuance. Both you and your daughter will then adjust status after you go to the US and you marry the petitioner within 90 days of entry.

Struck gold here! K2 is up to 21 years.

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011

GREEN CARD ARRIVED 12/31/2011

Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014

10-YEAR GREEN CARD ARRIVED 05/06/2014

N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Iran
Timeline

Your daughter will have to leave the US prior to her visa expiring and the wait will be several years. It will take time for you to become and LPR and then a couple of years after you file for her so figure about three years.

There is no way for both you and your daughter to remain here on a family based petition and adjust status. Immigration wise your daughter is an adult. As already mentioned your daughter would have to leave and wait for her visa to be issued after you file. If she overstays her visitor visa now, it will only make things more difficult for her.

If you go the K1 route you BOTH would have to leave and wait for the visas. Although you would still be able to visit on the tourist visas.

Third option, fiance can go back to Manilla with you, marry, and live there. Although, still would require some for of immigration process.

Point being, there is no way you can do this legally without some form of separation, be it from your fiance or your daughter.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.