11 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Algeria
Timeline

Hi guys, I'm new here and I really need help!

I came to the US in June 2014 as a permanent resident, now I want to get married in September 2016 and I don't know how to start!

I don't know if I have to deal with a lawyer or do it by my self, and I don't know if it worth it to apply right know while I'm a resident or waiting for the naturalization due to the long processing time!

I'm really confused, I've seen some people waiting for more than 2years! and it's gonna be juste horrible for me!

I hope that someone here in this forum may help me with all this questions

Thank you very much

Filed: Other Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Its only two years since you got your green card so you are no close to naturalization soon. You can apply for your wife under F2a category as soon as you get married. Current waiting time under this category is 1&1/2 to two years. IR category takes 1 to 1& 1/2 yr so not much difference. The plus point is that you can always switch to IR from From F2a.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hi,

You can not apply right now since an LPR can not file for a fiancée. You can only file after you get marry; it would be an F2a case where an LPR is petitioning for a spouse. The current wait is 2 years. Your spouse's wait time may be longer or shorter - there is no way to predict how long your spouse will have to wait.

You would be eligible for US citizenship around June 2019. It doesn't make sense for you to wait for citizenship to petition your spouse. That only makes the wait longer.

Read the Guides. You will have to determine whether you can do-it-yourself or you would rather have a lawyer.

Best of luck

Timeline

Its only two years since you got your green card so you are no close to naturalization soon. You can apply for your wife under F2a category as soon as you get married. Current waiting time under this category is 1&1/2 to two years. IR category takes 1 to 1& 1/2 yr so not much difference. The plus point is that you can always switch to IR from From F2a.

thank you for you answer, I have another question let's say that the whole process take 2 years, from when I can start counting for the 2 years?

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

thank you for you answer, I have another question let's say that the whole process take 2 years, from when I can start counting for the 2 years?

It's not 2 years exactly. You need to follow the Visa Bulletin. Counting days is not how it works. There is no way to determine how long your spouse has to wait. It can be longer or shorter.

When you file the I-130, your spouse will be assigned a Priority Date. When the PD becomes current in the VB, your spouse becomes eligible for a visa.

If you want to count, then start with the PD. But this isn't how a visa is determined to be eligible for your spouse. You have to follow the monthly VB.

Timeline

It's not 2 years exactly. You need to follow the Visa Bulletin. Counting days is not how it works. There is no way to determine how long your spouse has to wait. It can be longer or shorter.

When you file the I-130, your spouse will be assigned a Priority Date. When the PD becomes current in the VB, your spouse becomes eligible for a visa.

If you want to count, then start with the PD. But this isn't how a visa is determined to be eligible for your spouse. You have to follow the monthly VB.

OK I start to understand, so the PD will be assigned to my spouse once I file the I-130, and after that I have to check the VB every month, this is right?

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Hi guys, I'm new here and I really need help!

I came to the US in June 2014 as a permanent resident, now I want to get married in September 2016 and I don't know how to start!

I don't know if I have to deal with a lawyer or do it by my self, and I don't know if it worth it to apply right know while I'm a resident or waiting for the naturalization due to the long processing time!

I'm really confused, I've seen some people waiting for more than 2years! and it's gonna be juste horrible for me!

I hope that someone here in this forum may help me with all this questions

Thank you very much

If you know how to write and read English and understand, then you don't need a lawyer. I will say it's better to join the queue (wait list) for F2A than to wait to become a citizen and file. Nobody can exactly predict how long you will wait so I will say take some chances and you might get lucky and been in the speed lane. Some are waiting about 3 years and I have seen some who waited just a year.

Timeline

If you know how to write and read English and understand, then you don't need a lawyer. I will say it's better to join the queue (wait list) for F2A than to wait to become a citizen and file. Nobody can exactly predict how long you will wait so I will say take some chances and you might get lucky and been in the speed lane. Some are waiting about 3 years and I have seen some who waited just a year.

Thanks brother, what about the afidavit of support? I have to send it with I-130? and how much I'll need in my W2

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Thanks brother, what about the afidavit of support? I have to send it with I-130? and how much I'll need in my W2

Don't get too fast ahead. Just do the first thing first. Fill the application and include whatever they ask you to include. As you move along, they will tell you what you need to send. There's a link here for the first step and also on the USCIS website too. Get married and Start slowly and be honest on the paper.

• 4 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Algeria
Timeline

7/30/2015 Sent I130 priority mail to have tracking, I suggest you do the same.

8/4/2015 NOA1 (Nebraska)

12/17/2015 NOA2

♤♤while waiting for noa2, I read this wiki to get through

NVC quickly ->http://www.visajourney.com/wiki/index.php/NVC_Process

12/24/2015 Petition Sent to NVC from Nebraska

1/4/2016 petition received at NVC (call and confirm it arrives. About 15 days try to get your case number and receipt number, I got mine in 11 days)

1/15/2016 Called NVC and got case/invoice number logged into this site to pay fees, pick agent -> https://ceac.state.gov/IV/Login.aspx 1/15/2016 picked agent DS-261

1/18/2016 paid aos fee

1/28/2016 review 261 to get iv fee unlocked ( unlocked once I did review,was taking to long)

2/1/ 2016 sent AOS & IV packets together to nvc while I waited for iv fee to open to save time.

2/4/2016 paid IV Fee and waited to do ds260

2/3/2016 nvc received aos and iv packets(scan date)

2/7/2016 ds260 completed and now waiting for cc

♧CASE COMPLETE. .. march 8th

3/11/15 interview email

4/20/15 shots 4/25/15 rest of medical exam

INTERVIEW APRIL 27TH @8:30

April 27th 221g for additional documentation and placed in administrative processsing.

June 20th submitted evidence requested

June 23rd case was touched by embassy

August 1st case was touched again.

AUGUST 16TH embassy called and wants a new co sponser yet he met requirements.

Found a new co-sponsor

Handed in aos sept 11th

Set 18th another update

Sept 28th update and embassy called

SEPT 29TH ISSUED FINALLY

OCT 2nd visa in hand

POE October 22nd 2016

APPROVED

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.