AB90

Unwilful Fraud/Misrepresentation, Not Charged, AOS Filed

34 posts in this topic

Here's my story and I desperately seek your advice. I'll try to keep it short and precise.

I've been in F1 status which got terminated. My previous employer produced fraudulent document (without my consent) and USCIS knows about it, now the fault is mine, and I don't think I can prove it otherwise.

Fast forwarding, USCIS terminated my status, and asked to leave United States. My H1B also got denied. I had a labor approved and my priority date is current. I'm also scheduled to get married in about a month, so leaving is not an option. However, USCIS haven't sent me any NTA either.

So I spoke with multiple lawyers and after lots of advices, I decided to retain a lawyer and filed for AOS right away with my approved labor mentioning section 245. The lawyer said only way I could get 485 approved is through a hardship waiver.

While filing 485, I did mention Yes in one of the questions and provided an explanation that I was unaware that I was violating any law. Now it's been more than a couple of months, I have had my fingerprint taken, but no updates so far.

Now I'm neither legal or illegal here, and I have no idea how long we have to bear this ordeal.

Any suggestion, possible outcome, or even unlikely solution is truly appreciated.

Edited by AB90

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Your excuse of being unaware of violating immigration laws is lame. I'd drop that mentality right now and never mention it again. It is your responsibility to know. Coming to the U.S. is a privilege and you will not receive any sympathy by saying that you were uneducated about your own status and responsibilities.

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

You were asked to leave how can you adjust from that?? I am sorry but you should go before you get a ban at least if you leave then you can find a legal route to return. Unless you already have a ban...then you should just go...

Edited by Anitafeliz

:girlwerewolf2xn: Ana (L) Felix :wub:

K1 March Filer 2016

Interview Approved August 19, 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

DISCLAIMER: Please excuse my ABC & Gramm@r I am not an editor...

Your case is not DIY and you need a good lawyer.

If you haven't found one you care to retain, keep looking. Do not hire one that says only things you want to hear.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

Timeline

How would OP know if his employer produced fraudulent documents? As far as I know the employer files for the foreign worker, and the foreigner has nothing to do with the paperwork...making it completely plausible for the foreigner to not know if the employer is doing something crooked.

Please correct me if i'm wrong as I've never been sponsored by an employer before...but this i just my understanding of how it works.

What was the fraudulent document? The OP never said. How do we in fact know it was fraudulent? Just to take his word for it?

Every immigrant must know about their entire case. It sounds like, to me, that the OP was working during his F-1 status and if that was the case, and it was not under authorized circumstances, then that IS his responsibility...fraudulent document or not.

OP - good luck ..

USCIS
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011

Citizenship

Waited...

@canadian_wife I agree with what you're saying, but hey, people make mistakes, and I made one too not knowing what I should have known.

@jessdak That's what happened.

@anitafeliz I don't know how, I'm not charged for fraud or misrepresentation. I only received a letter from DHS/USCIS asking to leave or call their helpline. But I had filed AOS by then.

@hypnos I already have one, they told me only a hardship waiver from my future wife once we get married would help.

@canadian_wife I agree with what you're saying, but hey, people make mistakes, and I made one too not knowing what I should have known.

@jessdak That's what happened.

@anitafeliz I don't know how, I'm not charged for fraud or misrepresentation. I only received a letter from DHS/USCIS asking to leave or call their helpline. But I had filed AOS by then.

@hypnos I already have one, they told me only a hardship waiver from my future wife once we get married would help.

Then get a lawyer and dont get yourself a ban so you may return...

:girlwerewolf2xn: Ana (L) Felix :wub:

K1 March Filer 2016

Interview Approved August 19, 2016

POE September 25, 2016

AOS November Filer 2016

DISCLAIMER: Please excuse my ABC & Gramm@r I am not an editor...

Filed: Country:
Timeline

What was the fraudulent document? The OP never said. How do we in fact know it was fraudulent? Just to take his word for it?

Every immigrant must know about their entire case. It sounds like, to me, that the OP was working during his F-1 status and if that was the case, and it was not under authorized circumstances, then that IS his responsibility...fraudulent document or not.

OP - good luck ..

You can work while you are in F-1 status. You can either work for the school (which I did while I was a student) or you can apply for CPT (Curricular Practical Training). I've heard that a lot of people who do CPT end up being sponsored a H-1B visa by the employer once the F-1 status ends.

I really don't mean to be rude but you seem to be attacking OP right out of the gate...It's not our job to determine if the document is fraudulent or not, that's up to USCIS (and OP says they have already found that out)...it's our job to give advice to other people with visa related issues.

Fiancee Visa Timeline

1/7/16 - I-129F Sent

1/28/16 - NOA1

3/10/16 - NOA2

4/8/16 - NVC Sent

5/2/16 - Medical

5/2/16 - Interview

5/4/16 - Physical

5/10/16 - Dropped passport off at Embassy

5/12/16 - Visa in Hand

5/21/16 - POE

7/10/16 - Marriage

AOS Timeline

7/21/16 - Mailed packet

7/23/16 - Packet delivered

7/28/16 - NOA1

10/7/16 - Biometrics

11/30/16 - EAD/AP Approved

12/6.16 - EAD/AP Received

1/21/17 - New card ordered for production

1/23/17 - Greencard Approved (no interview)

1/24/17 - Greencard Mailed

1/26/17 - Greencard Received

• On Oct 13th AOS status was updated to say that a notice was returned due to post office being unable to deliver it. Tier two told me that it was biometrics or NOA1 (even though I had received both before this date).

• A few weeks later I received a notice dated Nov 10th, in regards to my call about the Oct 13th notice. The new notice said that there were no RFE's or withholding on my case. So still not sure what this Oct 13th notice was about.

• Received a letter from a NY office on Dec 23rd (dated Dec 10) stating that my medical was over 1 year old. (At this point my medical was only 7 months old)

• Teir two submitted an internal service request to which I got a response telling me that I need to respond to RFE ASAP

• Submitted another service request on 1/6/17. To which I got a response on 1/19/17 stating that my case was pending and is outside of processing time (no mention of RFE)

ROC Timeline

10/21/18 - Packet Sent

xx/xx/xx - NOA1

xx/xx/xx - NOA2

xx/xx/xx - Card Received

Filed: Country:
Timeline

I agree with hypnos and anita, I think your best bet is to let the lawyer handle it. If you have already filed AOS before you were asked to leave that seems like a tricky situation. In normal cases, overstays are permitted while AOS processes....but i'm not sure how it works if you are asked to leave on different grounds.

Fiancee Visa Timeline

1/7/16 - I-129F Sent

1/28/16 - NOA1

3/10/16 - NOA2

4/8/16 - NVC Sent

5/2/16 - Medical

5/2/16 - Interview

5/4/16 - Physical

5/10/16 - Dropped passport off at Embassy

5/12/16 - Visa in Hand

5/21/16 - POE

7/10/16 - Marriage

AOS Timeline

7/21/16 - Mailed packet

7/23/16 - Packet delivered

7/28/16 - NOA1

10/7/16 - Biometrics

11/30/16 - EAD/AP Approved

12/6.16 - EAD/AP Received

1/21/17 - New card ordered for production

1/23/17 - Greencard Approved (no interview)

1/24/17 - Greencard Mailed

1/26/17 - Greencard Received

• On Oct 13th AOS status was updated to say that a notice was returned due to post office being unable to deliver it. Tier two told me that it was biometrics or NOA1 (even though I had received both before this date).

• A few weeks later I received a notice dated Nov 10th, in regards to my call about the Oct 13th notice. The new notice said that there were no RFE's or withholding on my case. So still not sure what this Oct 13th notice was about.

• Received a letter from a NY office on Dec 23rd (dated Dec 10) stating that my medical was over 1 year old. (At this point my medical was only 7 months old)

• Teir two submitted an internal service request to which I got a response telling me that I need to respond to RFE ASAP

• Submitted another service request on 1/6/17. To which I got a response on 1/19/17 stating that my case was pending and is outside of processing time (no mention of RFE)

ROC Timeline

10/21/18 - Packet Sent

xx/xx/xx - NOA1

xx/xx/xx - NOA2

xx/xx/xx - Card Received

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: India
Timeline

Here's my story and I desperately seek your advice. I'll try to keep it short and precise.

I've been in F1 status which got terminated. My previous employer produced fraudulent document (without my consent) and USCIS knows about it, now the fault is mine, and I don't think I can prove it otherwise.

Fast forwarding, USCIS terminated my status, and asked to leave United States. My H1B also got denied. I had a labor approved and my priority date is current. I'm also scheduled to get married in about a month, so leaving is not an option. However, USCIS haven't sent me any NTA either.

So I spoke with multiple lawyers and after lots of advices, I decided to retain a lawyer and filed for AOS right away with my approved labor mentioning section 245. The lawyer said only way I could get 485 approved is through a hardship waiver.

While filing 485, I did mention Yes in one of the questions and provided an explanation that I was unaware that I was violating any law. Now it's been more than a couple of months, I have had my fingerprint taken, but no updates so far.

Now I'm neither legal or illegal here, and I have no idea how long we have to bear this ordeal.

Any suggestion, possible outcome, or even unlikely solution is truly appreciated.

your'e from which country?

Filed: Timeline

You're adjusting based on an employment-based petition filed by which employer? The employer that produced fraudulent documents? Or a later employer? Are you working for this employer? If not, why are they petitioning you? Did you work for them before and then quit?

You are out of status but I think you are taking advantage of 245(k) which allows employment-based AOS's to have had less than 180 days out of status or unlawful employment. Was it less than 180 days after you supposedly violated your status or your status was terminated, before you filed AOS? Also, any unlawful employment after filing AOS counts towards this 180 days so make sure you didn't do that.

What ban is the waiver for? The misrepresentation ban? (So the lawyer is assuming you will be denied for misrepresentation?)

Timeline

You can work while you are in F-1 status. You can either work for the school (which I did while I was a student) or you can apply for CPT (Curricular Practical Training). I've heard that a lot of people who do CPT end up being sponsored a H-1B visa by the employer once the F-1 status ends.

I really don't mean to be rude but you seem to be attacking OP right out of the gate...It's not our job to determine if the document is fraudulent or not, that's up to USCIS (and OP says they have already found that out)...it's our job to give advice to other people with visa related issues.

F-1 status is not terminated for lawfully working on campus or via CPT. I also hate the 'I didn't know the rules' excuse and if he is already up against a difficult adjustment, claiming ignorance is not going to fly. I still stand by my comment that he should not say that during this process.

You are right, it is not up to us to determine the legitimacy of documents. And I gave my advice.

Good luck

USCIS
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011

Citizenship

Waited...

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

I would have thought bringing the wedding forward (assuming it is to a USC) and adjusting from that would have more chances of success.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.