JimmyHou

Case Number Question for 2016 Filers

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Egypt
Timeline

Just out of curiosity, what are the first three letters of your case number?

It used to be MSC for Missouri Service Center a few years ago.

Then that was replaced by NBC for National Benefits Center.

But some of the recent filers have new codes.

I'm wondering if applications are still being processed at the NBC after they are sent to the receiving facilities.

The only difference this makes is that if USCIS is now sending applications to different service centers instead of the NBC, then we'll see even larger differences in processing times before the applications are sent to the local office.

So for Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr 2016 applicants, does your case number start with NBC or something else?

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Turkey
Timeline

Just out of curiosity, what are the first three letters of your case number?

It used to be MSC for Missouri Service Center a few years ago.

Then that was replaced by NBC for National Benefits Center.

But some of the recent filers have new codes.

I'm wondering if applications are still being processed at the NBC after they are sent to the receiving facilities.

The only difference this makes is that if USCIS is now sending applications to different service centers instead of the NBC, then we'll see even larger differences in processing times before the applications are sent to the local office.

So for Jan, Feb, Mar, Apr 2016 applicants, does your case number start with NBC or something else?

Mine starts with NBC* . God knows what that * is for. Filed at Lewisville lockbox last month.

Timeline

Mine starts with NBC* . God knows what that * is for. Filed at Lewisville lockbox last month.

I think it's because USCIS uses 13 digit case numbers. Some start with 3 letter codes and some start with 4 letter codes. The ones that start with 3 letter codes get a * to make up for the missing letter... I think... :-)

For a review of each step of my N-400 naturalization process, from application to oath ceremony, please click here.

Timeline

I think it's because USCIS uses 13 digit case numbers. Some start with 3 letter codes and some start with 4 letter codes. The ones that start with 3 letter codes get a * to make up for the missing letter... I think... :-)

I doubt it because I had several petitions before and they all started with 3 letters and not followed by a *. My H1Bs were WACXXX, AOS was MSCXXX, ROC was EACXXX, and now N400 starts with NBC* .

Timeline

I doubt it because I had several petitions before and they all started with 3 letters and not followed by a *. My H1Bs were WACXXX, AOS was MSCXXX, ROC was EACXXX, and now N400 starts with NBC* .

Oh cool. Thanks.

Timeline
Great link, but I wonder if its out of date or not applicable to N400s because people who applied this year and last year are getting case numbers that start with NBC* and according to this, the 4th and 5th digits should be the fiscal year. So it should be NBC15 or NBC16.

Helpful link though. Thanks!

Edited by JimmyHou

Timeline

Great link, but I wonder if its out of date or not applicable to N400s because people who applied this year and last year are getting case numbers that start with NBC* and according to this, the 4th and 5th digits should be the fiscal year. So it should be NBC15 or NBC16.

Helpful link though. Thanks!

According to this http://www.***removed***/immigration/decipher-uscis-case-receipt-number.html N400s has a total different numbering system. Maybe that * identifies it is a N400 application and differentiates from other petitions.

edit: just realized the forum blocks out the site I found this link at. I guess they don't want people share links from other immigration forums. Anyway just google n400 receipt number deciphering and it is the first link that comes out.

Edited by charmander

Timeline

Interesting info about the format of the number.

So does anyone have a case number that does not start with NBC?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.