11 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Argentina
Timeline
Hi! I´m from Argentina, I have an american boyfriend and we are planing in getting married. Im going to visit him with my tourist visa from may to august this year. We want to start the K1 visa process but we would like to know this before doing it:

1) If he starts the process of the K1 visa before I go to visit him, is that gonna obstaculize my entrance to visit him?

2) Let´s say thr answer of 1st question is NO. Can we continue with the process (interview, criminal records, forms, among other things) while I´m there (going to the Argentinian embassy or consulate) for now wasting time or do I have to do that in Argentina?

3) Let´s say the answer of 1st question is YES. Can we start the process while I´m in US?

Of course I understand that once I get my K1 visa Im gonna have to leave the country and come back with the K1 visa.

Thank you so much for your time

Lucia

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi. I think you won't have any problem entering the US with your visitors visa, as long as you have proof of returning to your country (work letter, returning plane ticket). Plus if you have the receipt of your documents for the K1 you can argue that you do not intend to stay in the US, since you want to do things right and wait for the visa.

For applying for the K1 while in the states, I don't think will be a problem either, but there's a part in the I-129F that ask you if the fiance is right now in the United States, and if you answer "yes", you have to answer a series of question. Personally I would prefer to avoid this and just do it before you go.

About your question of the consulate interview, I believe that you necessarily have to do it at your own country.

Good luck!

:star: K1 Timeline :star:

I-129F Sent : Apr 01, 2016

I-129F Received : Apr 06, 2016

I-129F NOA1 : Apr 08, 2016

I-129F NOA2 : Jun 21, 2016

NVC received : Jul 15, 2016

NVC case number : Jul 15, 2016

NVC left : Jul 19, 2016

Consulate ready : Jul 20, 2016

Interview : Aug 11, 2016

Visa issued: Aug 15, 2016

Visa in hand: Aug 17, 2016

POE: Aug 20, 2016

Wedding: Sep 15, 2016

Having an active I-129F petition has been known to add a prejudice to entering on a visitor visa, and/or obtaining one. As having one does show intent to immigrate, which getting a visitors visa requires proving intent not to immigrate.

Have you been in each other's physical presence in the last 2 years? This is required before filing.

You would need to complete the process in your home country. You can not get a K-1 visa while you are in the USA.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

As Caryh mentioned, I would encourage you not to file for your K-1 Visa before trying to enter on a tourist visa. I was in an embassy and I personally heard a denial based on the fact that her husband had filed for a K-3 Visa. Also, if you get past the consulate interview process, you may still be turned away by immigration personnel at your port of entry if they suspect you are trying to immigrate. You must decide what to do for you, but I caution you against the risk.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Welcome to the forum, and good luck.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Welcome to the forum.

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Timeline

Thank you everyone for the answers. We finally decided that we are gonna start the k1 visa process before I go to visit him with my tourist visa. My boyfriend called USCIS, Customs and the Consulate and they told him that if I have proof enough that I intend to come back to Argentina everything is fine :) So thats what we are gonna do! Thanks for the advices to everyone!

Timeline

Hi everyone!

I´m filling my G-325A form for applying for a K1 visa and I have some questions if you can help me I would really appreciate that :)

The part where it says: "Last occupation abroad if not shown above" ... what does it mean?

Where it says "This form is submited in connection with an application for:" should I put other and specify k1 visa?

On the bottom of the form it says "applicant: print your name and Alien ..." is it me or my fiance (American) the one that has to put his name on since HE is the one that is applying for the visa for me?

In the writting statement that I need to write the exact dates that we have seen each other in person within the last two years. Do you have any examples of it? I wrote one explaining how we met, all the places we had been together. Im gonna attach flight tickets, photos (they dont have a date on them, but I can attach screenshots of facebook uploads for example), tickets, passport with the stamps on them.

But my question is if its ok to explain everything or if it has to be more simple? and if its ok to attach photos even if they dont have the date on them.

Thank you for your time :)

Lucia

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

First of all you have to fill two G-325A forms. One for each.

THe question about working abroad only applies if he worked abroad in the past (out of the US). If not, just put "none" if the instructions say so or leave it blank if they don't say anything.

On the bottom of both forms each one has to sign their own biographic information.

What I did was print facebook screens from when we got in a relationship, print pictures and wrote on them dates and places.

In the story of our relationship I wasn't so specific about every time because we have met a lot of times but if it was only a few I think I would have mentioned each one of them. I also made references to trips we took and attached the flight tickets (didn't have boarding passes).

:star: K1 Timeline :star:

I-129F Sent : Apr 01, 2016

I-129F Received : Apr 06, 2016

I-129F NOA1 : Apr 08, 2016

I-129F NOA2 : Jun 21, 2016

NVC received : Jul 15, 2016

NVC case number : Jul 15, 2016

NVC left : Jul 19, 2016

Consulate ready : Jul 20, 2016

Interview : Aug 11, 2016

Visa issued: Aug 15, 2016

Visa in hand: Aug 17, 2016