Brassballs

End of the road discussion

18 posts in this topic

This topic surfaced for us just recently as my ancient increasing term life policy approached it's conversion deadline. Was time to review my long-term plan to provide for my surviving asawa and little ones beyond the expiration date of the original policy. Of course, our discussion brings her to tears, and forced me to consider my own end choices as well.

The concept of insurance is understandable to MJ, but is completely foreign as her background is quite simple and this luxury just doesn't exist in her reference frame. She doesn't understand how I could have paid in what I have for 30 years, and receive nothing in return, provided I survived beyond the expiration data, which isn't far off. The only way to win is to cash-in, but my preference is to keep breathing long as possible. Showed her the very low premium cost waaaay back (why term is typically selected) and what happens over time. Makes me sick, too, but...

During our discussion, she expressed her desire to be the first...which really hits hard when one thinks about that, but that's the topic of this thread, and I honestly hadn't thought of her what-if scenarios. I do know that there are no suitably safe permanent burial locations at her place, and even that thought is tough to bear in the event this would occur, so what do I do? Her family would be devastated not being able to personally send her off. This we need to touch on also. In the past she has stated that she wants to stay in US.

Side note, celebrated our 10th anniversary recently, and we too have embarked on naturalization. Interview is scheduled May 19. Wanted to wrap that up before I get any older, and before our next grand return trip in 2018. We've got a Phil Consular outreach nearby in Aug, so hopefully the naturalization and US passport process will be done so we can move to dual-citizenship quickly.

Best wishes to all!!

M&M

Michael and Milah Jean

04/24/2006 | Married in Leyte
06/16/2006 | Mail I-130 petition to NSC
03/15/2007 | INTERVIEW - 6:30 am - APPROVED!!!!
04/05/2007 | ARRIVED IN AMERICA!!! (Detroit)
04/14/2007 | Received SSN card in mail
04/23/2007 | Received 2 yr green card
04/24/2007 | CELEBRATE FIRST ANNIVERSARY!!!
11/16/2007 | We're pregnant!!!
07/01/2008 | Ester Faith born at 11:49 pm
02/12/2009 | Mail I-751 petition to remove conditions
04/16/2009 | Approved - Letter recd 4/21/2009
06/29/2009 | Received 10 yr green card
07/11/2009 | Received Ohio driver's license - passed road test 1st try!!
01/29/2011 | We're preggie...again!!!
09/21/2011 | Eugene Filip born - 7:55 am

02/29/2016 | Mail N-400 application

05/19/2016 | Naturalization interview

06/16/2016 | Oath ceremony

During our discussion, she expressed her desire to be the first...which really hits hard when one thinks about that, but that's the topic of this thread, and I honestly hadn't thought of her what-if scenarios. I do know that there are no suitably safe permanent burial locations at her place, and even that thought is tough to bear in the event this would occur, so what do I do? Her family would be devastated not being able to personally send her off. This we need to touch on also. In the past she has stated that she wants to stay in US.

Side note, celebrated our 10th anniversary recently, and we too have embarked on naturalization. Interview is scheduled May 19. Wanted to wrap that up before I get any older, and before our next grand return trip in 2018. We've got a Phil Consular outreach nearby in Aug, so hopefully the naturalization and US passport process will be done so we can move to dual-citizenship quickly.

Best wishes to all!!

M&M

My wife has often expressed the desire to pass away before I do. She's 17 years younger, so the odds of that happening are not that good. She wants to be buried in the Philippines. And from what I have found out, if you don't keep paying the rent on the burial plot, they dig you up and put your bones in a communal pile. Well I guess if there's no one left around to care, then why not? But my wife's father's body was lost that way. He died when my wife was an infant, her mother remarried, but at one point she returned to the city she had been buried in, wanting to recover his body and move it closer to where she lived now. When they went to the cemetery, they had already move his bones to the communal bone pile as the rent wasn't being paid.

My wife is waiting for her citizenship interview letter currently. We also have an outreach in August, which I had hoped she could reaffirm her Philippines citizenship, but maybe it will end up having to wait a year for the next one, as our local does not appear to moving very fast.

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.