laratunga

J1-Fulbright Scholar with 2 years residency condition

3 posts in this topic

Filed: J-1 Visa Country: Pakistan
Timeline

Hello People,

I am a Fulbright Scholar graduating in May 2016. I am going to marry a US citizen. What should I do to deal with two year residency condition ?

Should I apply for visa status change or apply for waiver ? I can apply for hardship to US citizen waiver or I may apply for Persecution waiver ? What would you guys recommend and how long any of this may take ?

Your response will be highly appreciated and will be a great help.

Best

• 1 year later...
56 minutes ago, Hussain123 said:

Hi Lara,

How are doing? I am in very much similar situation like you. I came here in US on the Fulbright scholarship and soon getting marry. I was wondering what did you do? Because I've tried to get information but have not get a word from anyone. I really appreciate if you can you help. Thank you 

Fulbright is very complicated because you have a J1 and Fulbright does not want students getting waivers. 

There are a few things you can do. If you have a J1 right now, change to an F1 if you are not receiving money from Fulbright. That way, trips to your country start adding up towards the 2 years you have the spend in your country. 

Unfortunately, very few people have received waivers so it is better to find ways of spending the time in your country.

What is your situation in terms of study/visa/etc?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.