Bryan & Luke

Same-Sex Fiance Visa - CFO question

22 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I have been seeing conflicting information on this topic. I know about the family law where you must have parental consent to marry someone in the Philippines if you are under 25. I spoke with two attorneys and they both said this wouldn't be an issue. But I keep seeing other information that says the opposite.

My fiance lives in the Philippines and he is 20 years old. I am 28 and live in the USA. His dad is a baptist preacher and his mom is also very religious. They don't know about our relationship, because if they did he would be in a bad situation and potentially get kicked out of home. We plan on telling them if the visa gets approved.

We have filed our Petition and got approved. It is currently in the NVC stage, so we are waiting on that.

Here's my question:

Will we need the parental consent at the CFO session? Our marriage is not legal there, his parent's won't approve, but he is of legal age to marry in the USA.

This could cause a serious problem for us, and if this happens I guess I will be moving to the Philippines. But we really want to start a life here. Anything you can tell me is greatly appreciated.

LGBT is very new to many government agency's. It's so new that I think that CFO could go either way with the age requirements. Even though it's OK in the US does not make it OK for the Philippines. Because LGBT couples are being approved at USEM gives you a foot in the door with CFO. The problem with CFO is that sometimes the "interviewers" can prevent and or cause you headaches during the interview and can prevent you from leaving the country. I can't tell you what to do because, again it's so new to society, and I know you understand that. It's my opinion that they may ask what the parents have stated on the topic and since you have not broke the news to them, then I think you have a good possibility to have problems with CFO.

Two things you can do. First, since you come this far you throw the dice and go to the CFO interview and see what takes place. Second, he sits down with his parents and tells them about his relationship with you. Being honest can go along way. The Philippines has many LGBT, in and out of the "closet" and this may not be an issue for the parents to understand.

Good luck with your processing and I hope you are successful so you two can start your life together here in the US.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

CFO is very strict regarding requirements for fiances of US citizens. If you don't present a letter of consent from the parents, CFO will not give your fiancé the stamp and sticker that's required of fiances to leave the Philippines. Since the parents are religious conservative types, not only is there a risk that your fiancé won't get the letter of consent but he might be kicked out of the house and/or sent to conversion therapy if he goes ahead and asks for the letter of consent from his parents.

Please proceed very carefully and with a lot of caution. You risk endangering your closeted fiancé's living arrangements if he is completely dependent upon his parents. You might have to wait for 5 years until parental consent is no longer needed. Or you might have to temporarily move to another country together with your fiancé and try to get the fiancé visa from that third country where there would be no CFO and parental consent to deal with.

Check my timeline for K-1 visa & AOS details

Conditional Permanent Resident: 16 September 2014

Conditional GC Expires: 16 September 2016

ROC Journey (CA Service Center)

2016-Sep-14: I-751 form, check, supporting docs sent USPS Priority Express

2016-Sep-15: ROC application received & signed for by Lakelieh

2016-Sep-15: NOA receipt date

2016-Sep-19: $590 check cashed by USCIS

2016-Sep-20: NOA/ 1-year extension letter received in mail

2018-Feb-26: ROC case transferred to local office

2018-Mar-06: ROC approved via USCIS website (WAC status check)

minions2, on 12 Mar 2016 - 7:19 PM, said:

Why is it cfo business to know whom your going to marry?

Go to the CFO's website and read their explanation. Then you will be enlightened.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

• 2 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

I thought I'd post an update. We completed the visa interview and got approved. Then we had the CFO seminar and also got approved. They did not ask for parental consent at all. They told him that they usually only ask for that if the applicant is under 19. So if anyone else has this question, there's your answer. :)

I want to thank the folks at Visa Journey for all of their documentation. We managed to go through the entire process in just about 4 months with no lawyers, no RFE's, no issues whatsoever. I couldn't have done it without this site. I will be using the info on this site for the AOS as well.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

** From the Family Code of the Philippines**

It states; 21-25 years old for advice and 18-21 years old for consent. (Some have noted that they were not asked for this, yet others have been asked, so be prepared) Bring the ID of the parents, plus copies, postal ID should be adequate.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Yes. I'm just sharing my experience and what they told us.

I understand. I prefer to stay with facts. Don't need anyone getting "burned" because of your comment

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

I thought I'd post an update. We completed the visa interview and got approved. Then we had the CFO seminar and also got approved. They did not ask for parental consent at all. They told him that they usually only ask for that if the applicant is under 19. So if anyone else has this question, there's your answer. :)

I want to thank the folks at Visa Journey for all of their documentation. We managed to go through the entire process in just about 4 months with no lawyers, no RFE's, no issues whatsoever. I couldn't have done it without this site. I will be using the info on this site for the AOS as well.

Congratz to you guys...and thanks for sharing your story.

• 3 months later...

Maybe that user Hank can add this info to his CFO list.

I see the consent/advice info is already on the website

That's good then.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.