mshanga

How long until we can travel internationally after approval?

35 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Haiti
Timeline

He does not need to sign up for selective service. I have to say it was nice to cross that off the to do list

K-1 from Haiti - NOA1: 5/27/2014; NOA2: 7/8 USCIS never updated to say that it was sent to the NVC (just in case you're as concerned about your status not updating as I was about mine)
NVC Case Number Received: 7/31; Left NVC: 8/1 - tracked via DHL website; CEAC Status - Ready: 8/7; Packet 3 Received: 9/5 - Beneficiary received packet / Medical Completed: 9/19;
DS-160 Submitted: 9/22 - (CEAC date updated); Packet 3 Submitted: 9/26; Packet 4 Received: 10/24; Interview Date: 11/6 @ 7 am Interview Result: Approved!
CEAC Status Issued: 11/10; USTraveldocs.com finally acknowledged Fiance's passport actually in their system: 11/20; Passport Received: 11/21;

POE: 11/23/2014; Wedding: 2/14/2015

AOS/EAD/AP Filed: 2/21/2015;

USCIS EAD & AP received: 2/25; USCIS AOS received: 2/27; Received NOA1s in mail: 3/5; Biometrics: 3/26; EAD/AP Card in Production: 5/11; EAD/AP Card Mailed: 5/1; EAD/AP Card Received 5/19; NPIW Letter dated: 6/11/15; Green card Approved: 10/1/15;

Green card Received: 10/7/15

It's fine. It needs to be with a non-profit organization (501©(3)) and it must not be for the expectation or promise of eventually having a paid position with the organization-- aka an actual volunteer job not some sneaky work-around. He's exercising dogs at the local shelter-- he loves dogs, it gets him out of the house and he can practice his English in a non-threatening or intimidating environment. Win-win-win. I did a lot of research on this, and I specifically asked during our interview (with the Vice Counsel at the consulate who had mentioned for like the 3rd time that he can't work until we have EAD) and he said "yes of course" and then wrote down some places in our area to check out (he lived near where we do when he was posted to DC).

I wish I'd been able to find that in my own research. Although, nothing non-profit would have benefitted in the area I am in, especially because I can't get anywhere unless it's on a bus route. Awesome that you got proper confirmation from a higher up too!

Thanks for your reply, it's always good to hear multiple perspectives. In regards to him, he may possibly be able to work remotely through his current company, but I'm unsure about the legality of that. We are certainly saving a lot now, and we do think the three or more months would be a good time for him to interview for positions (if this is allowed??). We have an extremely good savings (built up by him mostly) but we are hoping not to blow through it during this period. We are considering living with my parents during this period of un-employment to save on costs. Also I can imagine that new immigrants have a very difficult time finding positions, but in our case I'm quite optimistic based on his past experience (working as a software developer in London, educated at Oxford University). Do you think that it's right for me to be optimistic in this regard?

He'll definitely be in good stead if he got a degree from Oxford University. It's like going to Harvard or Yale over here. I'm Oxford born, your husband chose very wisely!

Edited by 3rd

AOS

09/02/2015 - Enter United States @ Raleigh Durham International Airport, NC under VWP

14/02/2015 - Fly to San Francisco, CA

09/05/2015 - I-94 Expires

22/05/2015 - Civil Surgeon Medical Examination

28/05/2015 - Received Sealed Envelope

04/07/2015 - Married in Vegas

14/08/2015 - Sent I-130, I-485, I-765 & I-131 to Chicago Lockbox

21/08/2015 - Emails/Texts of Acceptance for I-130, I-485, I-765 & I-131

24/08/2015 - I-130 & I-485 Cheques Cashed

27/08/2015 - Paper NOA1 Received

14/09/2015 - Biometrics Letter Received

23/09/2015 - Biometrics Complete

17/10/2015 - EAD/AP Card Produced

21/10/2015 - EAD/AP Card Mailed

24/10/2015 - EAD/AP Card Delivered

31/10/2015 - Received SSN

06/02/2016 - Interview Notice Delivered by Post

09/03/2016 - Interview

09/03/2016 - Approved at Interview + Card Ordered

14/03/2016 - Green Card Mailed

16/03/2016 - Green Card Received

ROC

05/02/2018 - Sent I-751 to California Service Centre

07/02/2018 - I-751 Received

09/02/2018 - Extension Letter Arrived in Post

12/05/2018 - Biometrics Reused Letter

18/08/2018 - 18 Months Extension Letter

19/04/2019 - 1-751 Approved + Card Produced

Naturalisation

09/12/2018 - Sent N-400 Application Online

14/12/2018 - Received Paper NOA1

02/01/2019 - Biometrics Scheduled

06/02/2019 - Biometrics Rescheduled

Filed: Timeline

Hello!

So I'm trying to start plan our wedding ceremony, which will be different then our legal wedding, as we will get legally married as soon as my fiance is able to enter the country on a K1. I'm realizing that I don't know when he will be allowed to travel internationally. After he enters the country on the K1 and we get married, when is he able to leave the country? I'm mostly concerned about our honeymoon ideas, which all seem to center around international locations. Does he have to wait to receive his green card? I know this can take up to three months, so is it imperative that we do not plan the ceremonial wedding before three months after his entry into the USA? What does he need to have with him when he returns to the US with me, and how does all of this work?

Thanks for all your help!

Yes teeak is correct. Once he enters on K-1 and you file for his green card he must file the I-131 and I-765 along with the green card application which will culminate in a work/travel combo card that he will receive within 3 months of filing. He will not receive the green card until 4-5 months after filing depending on where you live.

If you want to travel as soon as marrying i suggest you fil for AOS asap but a few tips would be to add your spouse to your bank account bills etc and collect as much wedding picture and picture of youbguys gere to send in your package bonafied marriage so you wont get and rfe like we did

It is not required to send these documents with the green card application, however this will be needed for the interview

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

oxford is a great school!! he will have a heads up:)

He will be very far ahead many other people! I am not sure the job market in NC, but start looking on LinkedIn and see what companies are in that area.

Try to think of something your guy can do when he gets here. Make sure you research how he can get his drivers license in your area - each state is different. My husband was able to get a limited term drivers license, but that's expired now. When we get the EAD/AP in about another three to four weeks, we can get it again. Make sure he understands the bus system in your area, just in case.

My husband was going out of his mind within a few days and the first two months were the hardest. We enrolled my guy in college classes, so he had to prepare for the entrance exams and that gave him a healthy distraction. He really, really needed these college courses! Since our state won't consider him a resident for tuition purposes until he's been here for a year, it's expensive, but worth it. Without the EAD/AP, there is nothing to do. Add a culture shock and you get homesickness quick!

Your husband is in a very different situation, but see if there may be some US history or US government classes he could take over the summer that would get him out of the house and mentally engaged. If they are short classes, that could help him pass the time, but be done in time for his EAD. Living with in-laws will be rather stressful! He will need something of his own that he can control.

I never thought I'd have a master's degree and a very solid work history and still need to work nights and weekends at a low wage job, but you do what you need to do to get by and I'd rather make that sacrifice.

Boy, this is me too! Thankfully, I was able to get a part-time job tutoring at the college so the pay is decent. But this is working nearly 60 hours a week! The good thing is that I can work from home twice a week on my office job, so we don't miss each other too much. But I will be ready for my husband to get a J-O-B! Lol!

Signature coming soon...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.