5 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi everyone,

I need help. My husband just arrived on a k-1 Fiance Visa. We are currently trying to apply for his work permit and green card. I am filling out the i-864 as I am his sponsor. However, I do not meet the income requirement, so my father is the joint sponsor. Does he fill out the i-864 as well or the i-864A?

I am very confused on the difference of the two forms. Please help. I really appreciate it.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

You must submit an I-864.

Is Dad married and filing a joint tax return? If so, Dad should submit an I-864 as well with his spouse completing an I-864A.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

Hi, thanks so much for answering. My dad is married, yes. But he doesn't need my mom's extra income, so he is going to be my only joint sponsor. He gave me his tax return information and I have everything ready, but I had him only fill out the I-864 form. And I also did my own I-864. So, since he's not using my mom at all, will my husband and I or my dad need to do an I-864A?

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Mom completes an I-864A because they likely file a joint tax return. It makes things clearer and simpler.

If Dad does not file a joint return then have him complete an I-864 and nothing needed from Mom.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

• 1 year later...
Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

hi I'm the immigrant and my husband does not meet the poverty line, we're living in the same house with my parents in law, my mother in law is the joint sponsor, so what are the forms we need to fill up ? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.