Oliviaka

Visiting my american boyfriend with an ESTA for long time

23 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: France
Timeline

Hello everyone,

So here's my problem : I would really like to visit my boyfriend in Alabama from the 15th of September to the 9th of December. Than come back home (France) and visit him again from the 2nd of January to the 28th of March. Normally (i'm bad in mathematics) it makes less than 90 days each time (in case of problems with planes, or being sick etc.). So the first trip would be in 2016 and the other one in 2017 : does it help ? Also, I'll be there with an ESTA not a visa. So it makes things "more complicated" kind of. My boyfriend is Senior Airman in US Air Force. Do you think a letter would help ? If he explains them i have no intention of working, that if there's extra money to spend, he'll take care of it, and so on ?

We know that making a visa would be better.. But we need to know how's life together before doing it...

What can I do.. ?

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Your boyfriend as an Airman does not entitle you to visit the US. What ties do you have that you can produce?

good luck

USCIS
August 12, 2008 - petition sent
August 16, 2008 - NOA-1
February 10, 2009 - NOA-2
178 DAYS FROM NOA-1

NVC
February 13, 2009 - NVC case number assigned
March 12, 2009 - Case Complete
25 DAY TRIP THROUGH NVC

Medical
May 4, 2009

Interview
May, 26, 2009

POE - June 20, 2009 Toronto - Atlanta, GA

Removal of Conditions
Filed - April 14, 2011
Biometrics - June 2, 2011 (early)
Approval - November 9, 2011
209 DAY TRIP TO REMOVE CONDITIONS

Citizenship

April 29, 2013 - NOA1 for petition received

September 10, 2013 Interview - decision could not be made.

April 15, 2014 APPROVED. Wait for oath ceremony

Waited...

September 29, 2015 - sent letter to senator.

October 16, 2015 - US Citizen

You are skating on thin ice there. Forget the two different calendar years, basically within a 6.5 month period you are spending all but 3 weeks in the United States. As a general rule, you should be out more than you are in. The VWP is not for people to live in the USA in 90-day (or near 90-day) installments.

Sounds like you have no ties to your home country. No job? No mortgage to pay? Why would they even believe you are going to return?

A letter from your boyfriend will do nothing at all. He should save his ink, time and paper. It's worthless. It's you they are interested in, not his letter-writing skills.

It's hard. We know that. My husband lives in the USA and until my visa is approved we have to be apart.

The VWP is a precious gift to a select few. Please don't abuse it and spoil things for the rest of us. If I can cope with only seeing my husband for a week at a time, every few months, everyone can. That would be far better for you - several short visits rather than one or two long ones.

I'm surprised you're doing a long trip when you don't even know how things will work out. What if you hate each other when you meet in person? You're going to be stuck far away from home. Let's hope you have a changeable plane ticket!

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Other Country: France
Timeline

You are skating on thin ice there. Forget the two different calendar years, basically within a 6.5 month period you are spending all but 3 weeks in the United States. As a general rule, you should be out more than you are in. The VWP is not for people to live in the USA in 90-day (or near 90-day) installments.

Sounds like you have no ties to your home country. No job? No mortgage to pay? Why would they even believe you are going to return?

A letter from your boyfriend will do nothing at all. He should save his ink, time and paper. It's worthless. It's you they are interested in, not his letter-writing skills.

It's hard. We know that. My husband lives in the USA and until my visa is approved we have to be apart.

The VWP is a precious gift to a select few. Please don't abuse it and spoil things for the rest of us. If I can cope with only seeing my husband for a week at a time, every few months, everyone can. That would be far better for you - several short visits rather than one or two long ones.

I'm surprised you're doing a long trip when you don't even know how things will work out. What if you hate each other when you meet in person? You're going to be stuck far away from home. Let's hope you have a changeable plane ticket!

First of all, we don't have the same life and problems. Yeah, you see your husband for a week a time that's sad. I'm with my boyfriend since more than a year, went 10 days in August and 9 in September last year that's it. That's how I know we won't hate each other. I've met his sister, his parents and the rest of the family. They all were really nice to me. Then, several short visits are great when you have plenty of money to spend on plane tickets. I don't. And I'm not crazy or stupid : I've asked before bying plane tickets. Thanks.

I have used esta and visited my husband three times. The first time I visited USA they checked my suitcases at the POE and asked me questions (some lady Here in UK wrote SSS on my boarding pass for security check) I guess that's why they had to do another security check in USA (maybe) and the second time I went right after a month with no trouble and the third time they stopped me for hours and I never went again thinkomg they will send me back home. Goodluck

Filed: Timeline

What your boyfriend does is not relevant to anything.

What do you that you can just take 6 months off? Do you have a job?

Either way it looks like you have no good ties to your home country, which is a big reason to refuse you entry.

VWP is used for visiting - not living which is basically what you want to do.

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

To an immigration officer, it will look like you intend to live her for 6 months with a brief visit abroad. That could be deemed a violation where you can lose your VWP privilege and be denied entry. Your risk to take or not. Best of luck.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Hello everyone,

So here's my problem : I would really like to visit my boyfriend in Alabama from the 15th of September to the 9th of December. Than come back home (France) and visit him again from the 2nd of January to the 28th of March. Normally (i'm bad in mathematics) it makes less than 90 days each time (in case of problems with planes, or being sick etc.). So the first trip would be in 2016 and the other one in 2017 : does it help ? Also, I'll be there with an ESTA not a visa. So it makes things "more complicated" kind of. My boyfriend is Senior Airman in US Air Force. Do you think a letter would help ? If he explains them i have no intention of working, that if there's extra money to spend, he'll take care of it, and so on ?

We know that making a visa would be better.. But we need to know how's life together before doing it...

What can I do.. ?

You can certainly try. Not great odds that they'll let you in the second time, you having been here for nearly 3 months and out less than 1. It's also very possibly they would, at the second attempt, cancel your VWP. Once cancelled you can never get it again and would need to apply and be accepted for a B-2 visitor visa.

Edited by Avery Cates

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

Visiting France must be nice for a month... because that's what you are doing when you come to the States for 3 months and then come back again after a month away for another 3 months. By doing what you have proposed you are showing the CBP you have no ties to your resident country.

You have a slim chance of getting in the second visit, by the CBP not paying attention and not caring about our borders and laws. As a US Citizen, I would want that CBP to be pulled from the line.

I wish you luck. But also think about what might happen if your privilege of being allowed to visit the US so freely with a ESTA is withdrawn. Use it wisely, or you may loose it.

Edited by Dal&Rose

Wife US Citizen/Husband UK Citizen

2mpdjqe.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.