Caz307

Can you get married without a K1 visa?

21 posts in this topic

Thank you all so much for your help :) i really appreciate it.

With what I do for work, I'll always need to spend about half of my time in the UK anyway, so based on what everyone has said I think it should be all ok. Phew.

Thank you everyone!

Once you receive your green card you will need to LIVE in the US. You cannot spend more time outside of the US or you aren't fulfilling the residency requirement.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello,

I'm getting married in June in the states, I'm from the UK and my fiance is from the US. I was told ages ago that I didn't need a fiancee visa to get married.

Is this true? Will the marriage be legal? I believe it is from what I've read. I started looking into the K1 visa, but with the time frame, I'm worried that I'm too late.

I'm not planning on staying in the US straight away, because I have work commitments back in the UK, but I will need to apply for a green card at some point fairly soon after we get married. Is applying for a green card when you're outside of the country more difficult?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

Of course you can get married in the USA without a K-1 visa, and yes the marriage will be legal... everywhere. The fiancee visa is only for those staying in the USA, which you are not doing at this time. Later you two can apply for a spousal visa.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Jordan
Timeline

There might be probs in the future, although someone with more insight will be able to answer in detail.

What kind of visa are you coming over on at that time? From similar threads that I've read, if you are coming to the states on a "tourist visa" with full intention of getting married that is a form of visa fraud/visa abuse. Like mentioned, this is what I've seen elsewhere on this form, so anyone correct me if I'm wrong

There's a reason why they have a fiancé visa option. It may actually go faster than you imagine if you have all your ducks in a row. It did for me :-) From the time I filed til visa approval was 65 days (a lot better than the projected 6-8 months)

In any case, after marriage you would file a spouse visa (CR-1 I think) and THAT can take up to a year or more from the time you file until you get approved. The advantage being that you get a green card right away instead of filing AOS and waiting for that

There are absolutely no problems. She can come to the US and marry with the VWP or a visitor visa and marry, as long as she doesn't stay and try to adjust status. Her plan is to return home and have her spouse apply for the proper visa for her in the future. Have you never heard of the millions that fly to Vegas from all over the world every year and return home?

Hello,

I'm getting married in June in the states, I'm from the UK and my fiance is from the US. I was told ages ago that I didn't need a fiancee visa to get married.

Is this true? Will the marriage be legal? I believe it is from what I've read. I started looking into the K1 visa, but with the time frame, I'm worried that I'm too late.

I'm not planning on staying in the US straight away, because I have work commitments back in the UK, but I will need to apply for a green card at some point fairly soon after we get married. Is applying for a green card when you're outside of the country more difficult?

Thanks in advance for any help :)

You can get married yes, anyone can get married without a visa. BUT if you are coming to get married and then have the intent of staying and Adjusting Status you're committing visa fraud as it was your intent before entering the country. If you entered the country without the intent of getting married but then do so you can Adjust your status.

Adjustment of Status (AOS), Removal of Conditions (ROC) Followed by N400 

AOS from ESTA

03-13-2015: AOS Packet Mailed to Chicago Lockbox Facility via USPS

03-14-2015: Arrived at Post Office Chicago, IL

03-17-2015: AOS Packet received by USCIS

03-23-2015: Text/ Email Notification: Notice of Acceptance

03-28-2015: NOA1 for AOS, AP & EAD received in the mail

04-03-2015: Notice of Appointment for Biometrics on the 14th of April at 9 a.m arrived with lawyer

04-07-2015: Notice of Appointment for Biometrics on the 14th of April at 9 a.m arrived at my address (lot slower)

04-06-2015: Early walk in for Biometrics complete 6th April, walked in at 3pm and spoke with the centre manager

05-14-2015: Expedite request made

05-15-2015: USCIS site says expedite complete but no change.

06-01-2015: Case enquiry opened with USCIS as its passed 75 days.

06-02-2015: EAD/AP card in production and to be distributed.

06-05-2014: Hard copy notice to say EAD approved.

06-08-2015: EAD Card arrived in the mail.

08-25-2015: 161 Days since filing and no interview date.

01-12-2016: 300 Days since filingand no interview date.

02-24-2016: Case scheduled for Interview March 26th 2016 (347 days after filing and will be well over a year come interview date).

04-02-2016: GREEN CARD ARRIVED.

ROC I-751
01-02-2018: ROC I-751 package sent
01-03-2018: I-751 signed for in California 
01-08-2018: NOA-1 Received (1 year Extension Letter)
03-20-2019: ROC APPROVED (442 DAYS since APPLYING) 

N400
12-28-2018: N400 Submitted Online 
01-12-2019: Biometrics for N400 
10-04-2019: N400 Interview PASS
10-31-2019: I AM A U.S. CITIZEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ITS OVER

OP we are in a similar situation. We got married when I was visiting using the VWP, I came home three days later and went back to work. I have been back to see my husband several times since then and we are now in a position for me to make the move so we are on the CR-1 spousal visa journey.

Someone further up the thread mentioned going to the US, getting married and staying. I just wanted to point out that is illegal without a K-1 visa (to go with the intention of staying on after the wedding). I can see that you won't be doing that anyway as you need to get back to Blighty for work.

When the time is right, your husband will file a petition for you to be apply to apply for a spousal visa and about a year and dozens of forms and pieces of paper later you will have your visa to go for good. The Green Card is for people who are moving to the US. If you are maintaining your residence here and going back and forth to visit your husband then you don't need a green card. Only if you intend to live there. If your husband wants to move to you in the UK, that's a whole other game.

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

***** One post edited to remove illegal immigration suggestion. Be careful how you word your advice. *****

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.