Javilasardar

J-1 Waiver Timelines 2016

430 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Less than a month?! See, mine is taking way too long! It's been 44 days today since the USCIS received it!

I requested USCIS to have the J waiver expedited for two criteria (medical emergency and financial loss), I send the documents to proof the need to have the case expedited and they expedited it. The timeline also depends on the center that the case is being processed. I am not sure if applications made outside of US would be process in the same way. From all forums and information that I collected when I was applying for the J1 waiver usually does not take longer than 2 months.

I recommend you find out what Center is processing your case to have an better estimate on how long is gonna take. Based on the information that I have, No objection cases are faster and it is only a matter of time to get approved.

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hey folks,

I just got my I-797(Approval Notice) by mail service today. I would like to share with you guys my updated timeline:

• I got the official I-797 (Approval Notice) at my wife address, August 29
  • USCIS sent and email saying the Waiver is approved, August 23
  • I requested to change my address, August 11
  • USCIS received my case, August 1
  • Recommendation Sent July, 28 2016
  • No Objection Statement Received July, 08 2016
  • Fee Received January, 20 2015
  • Form DS-3035 Received January, 20 2015
  • Form DS-2019 Received January, 20 2015
  • Passport Data Page Received January, 20 2015
  • Statement Of Reason Received January, 20 2015
  • Other Received January, 20 2015

Here are some details:

• I never received my Favorable Recommendation from the Department of State by mail. I emailed them and they sent it to me by email.
  • I called USCIS to get my Receipt Number from August 9 through August 11 because I hadn't received the the I-797C (Receipt Notice). I told the Representative Officer that I needed the Receipt Number and after insisting so much he gave me it. The official I-797C finally arrived at my address in Brazil on August 20.
  • As soon as I got the Receipt Number by phone (August 11) I accessed the online system and changed my address in Brazil to my wife's address in the USA.
  • On August 19, I opened an inquiry saying my case was taking longer than usual. The inquiry was assigned to an officer but just disappeared from the system later.
  • On August 22, I requested to have my case expedited based on Financial problems and also based on emergency because my son is too young to move from the strong Summer in Brazil to a intense Winter in the USA.
  • On August 23, USCIS responded to my request to have my case expedited. The email was telling my that they had sent a letter to me and should follow the instructions on the letter.
  • On August 25, the inquiry about my case taking longer than usual was assigned to an officer again.
  • On August 26, I received an email about the inquiry of my case taking longer than usual saying the USCIS had sent the Approval Notice on August 23 and the U.S Post Service hadn't returned it to them.
Edited by plinioandrade

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Look at this timeline and read the description for the consulate in case you do not get the waiver approved: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/profile.php?id=180228

- Previously, I had a J1 visa, subject to the 2-year rule. I took my old passports, job contracts, and their translations to the consulate, as a proof that I worked in Brazil for the 2 years. However, I was NEVER asked to provide any proof of completion of that obligation.

Edited by PallasAthena

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline

Hey folks

How did you make it ? To talk with someone USCIS regarding to i-797c receipt notice number on phone?

Everytime I call them, an agent is forwarding my call to another one because they are not capable to give that information apperantly. but that new agent's line is always busy. And they keep asking me to schedule a call back request but no one is calling me back?

Is there any trick to share with me for this?

Thanks in advance

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline

Hey folks

How did you make it ? To talk with someone USCIS regarding to i-797c receipt notice number on phone?

Everytime I call them, an agent is forwarding my call to another one because they are not capable to give that information apperantly. but that new agent's line is always busy. And they keep asking me to schedule a call back request but no one is calling me back?

Is there any trick to share with me for this?

Thanks in advance

Heck, I've sent an Online Inquiry for Processing Time taking longer than the usual. Their system displays that my inquiry has been taken care of, and a response emailed, but nothing shows up in my email's inbox and neither the spam folder... It doesn't surprise me they are being incapable of calling back. :(

Someone once told me in a case like this, tell them someone in your household accidentally threw your I-797C away. They should give you your receipt number. - Not sure if that's the right way to do it though.

Timeline

Heck, I've sent an Online Inquiry for Processing Time taking longer than the usual. Their system displays that my inquiry has been taken care of, and a response emailed, but nothing shows up in my email's inbox and neither the spam folder... It doesn't surprise me they are being incapable of calling back. :(

Someone once told me in a case like this, tell them someone in your household accidentally threw your I-797C away. They should give you your receipt number. - Not sure if that's the right way to do it though.

Exactly! It worked for me!

Sincerely,

Timeline

After a lot of stress and irritation, my case has finally got approved - and I'm sure it was with the Brazilian Consulate's help. So, If you are Brazilian and your No-Objection waiver is delayed, I strongly suggest contacting them. Here is my nightmare-material timeline:

Filed DS-3035 with the DoS: 03/03/2016
Obtained the No-Objection Letter from CAPES: 04/28/2016 - They are so messed up that I needed to beg for my mother to beg them for the letter. I was trying to obtain it since early February.
Obtained the No-Objection Statement from the Brazilian Government: 05/02/2016

All Documents Received by the DoS: 05/19/2016
DoS granted Favorable Recommendation: 06/22/2016
USCIS received I-612 (Filed by the DoS, no need to file yourself in a No-Objection case): 06/27/2016
USCIS NOA1 issued: 07/06/2016
------> Here comes the 61 day nightmare<-----
USCIS Approval: 09/07/2016
USCIS NOA2 Arrival (to an US Address): ?

Edited by alexvandv

Timeline

I really don't know guys.

All of these really sucks

I am living in Turkey. And I am telling them you are not capable to call me back throught international number. That's why you need to transfer me to a real person to find out my receipt number.

But they are saying "no sir we can't do that". Cuz of high volume of phone calls you have to schedule a call back.

I am getting pissed everytime I hear that.

What I did is for today; I gave my fiancee number for call back request. And she is gonna pretend like me on phone today.

We will see how it goes.

But if you have other suggestions please don't be shy and share with me.

Timeline

What I did is for today; I gave my fiancee number for call back request. And she is gonna pretend like me on phone today.

Make sure you are online with her in a Skype conversation. The USCIS is okay with someone else speaking on your behalf as long as you are "present." You may be able to work around that using this strategy.

Timeline

OrkunS,

I had the same problems that you are facing right now. I got crazy trying to get my Receipt Number. I got it by phone but I also got it by mail service in Brazil after waiting 19 days. I also got it when I asked the Consulate of Brazil in Washington, DC to help me finding the Receipt Number (They contacted the Director of USCIS Vermont Service Center).

I did everything from Brazil but I bought an American Skype Number and told them to call me back using that number.

Hope you can get your Receipt Number soon.

Let's us to know when you get some news.

Sincerely,

Timeline

I am bot sure about Turkish Embassy in Washington dude.

They are horrible to. I had to wait 2 extra months cuz of them by some reason.

But for sure I will try to contact with them.

American skype number is reallt good idea. How did you do that?

I hve skype account already. Should I switch that to american one?

Timeline

You don't need to change your account but just contract the Skype Number service.

Go to your Skype Account page online using a browser and go to Services page and you will find Skype Number as one of their services.

Timeline

You don't need to change your account but just contract the Skype Number service.

Go to your Skype Account page online using a browser and go to Services page and you will find Skype Number as one of their services.

I have just did. I hope it is gonna work out.

Timeline

Guys it is getting worse

I just talked with USCIS finally through my fiancee.

And they are telling me there is no pendind case regarding to my 2 year rule waiver.

But on DOS website it seems like favorable recommendation is sent on 1st of September. And what I understood is so far they did not receive it yet right?

But when I am checking ur timelines, normally that recommendation needs to be delivered USCIS in 3 or 4 business days. Isn't that?

I don't know what s wrong with that. I have send email to DOS. We will see how it goes. And for sure i will keep trying to talk with USCiS just in case.

At least I have skype number now. I can do that.

Sometimes I really feel like I am in a really shitty soup opera because all of these.

Filed: Other Country: Denmark
Timeline

J-1 Waiver based on No Objection statement:

- Recommendation Sent (to USCIS) August, 31 2016

- No Objection Statement Received July, 22 2016

- Fee Received July, 19 2016

- Form DS-3035 Received July, 19 2016

- Form DS-2019 Received July, 19 2016

- Passport Data Page Received July, 19 2016

- Statement Of Reason Received July, 19 2016

Still haven't heard from USCIS.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.