jg121783

Experiences with cold weather coming from the Philippines

46 posts in this topic

I live in Wisconsin (and have all my life) and the last couple days were pretty cold. That made me start thinking about how my fiance will adjust to the cold weather. To me it's not a big deal because I am used to it but for her it might be a big deal because she has never been anywhere with snow much less below zero temperatures. She is always excited when I show her the snow on Skype and says she can't wait to get here and see the snow. The other day I told her it was about 20 below here and when I converted it to celcius for her she had a supprised look on her face to say the least lol. After a few seconds she said that is okay and it wont bother her.

Anyways I was hoping some of you could share your experiences involving your spouse or yourself moving form the Philippines to a part of the US with cold weather. On a side note it will be nice leaving the cold weather in a little over a week to go to the Phiippines.

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

Filed: Timeline

It's not as cold where I live but we do get snow and my wife from the Philippines saw her first snow last week. It wasn't much but she loved it it. She was as excited as a child. Running around , making snow balls etc. She also enjoys the cold weather. Granted it's not 'northern cold' ( I grew up on the shores of Lake Erie so I know northern cold) but if she is anything like my wife, she will enjoy the change, at least for a while. Also nice shopping opportunity, winter cloths, boots, gloves , coats etc.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

My spouse is from the fabulous warm beaches of Australia's Gold Coast. The most important thing she had to learn was to keep her head warm - not easy for folks who are proud of their hair style!

Help your love understand about dressing in layers - how to keep her central core warm, and how to wear a scarf and hat in a fashionable, but practical way. Get her the very best warm boots you can - and teach her how to walk in snow and ice. Find some pretty, but warm undergarments (I like Cuddle Duds, but merino wool is nice, too). Also consider the popular 3-in-1 parka/jacket combinations (Columbia, North Face). She may have to learn the hard way, like my spouse, but help her have fun, too.

Believe me, we both wear caps with ear flaps here in New York!!!

Best of luck!

Sukie in NY

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

A little practical fashionable and you'll be fine.

November 14th, 2013: She's here!

December 12th, 2013: Picked up marriage license.

December 14th, 2013: Wedding

6gai.jpg

It's not as cold where I live but we do get snow and my wife from the Philippines saw her first snow last week. It wasn't much but she loved it it. She was as excited as a child. Running around , making snow balls etc. She also enjoys the cold weather. Granted it's not 'northern cold' ( I grew up on the shores of Lake Erie so I know northern cold) but if she is anything like my wife, she will enjoy the change, at least for a while. Also nice shopping opportunity, winter cloths, boots, gloves , coats etc.

Same. When I experienced snow for the first time, I absolutely enjoyed it and didn't even mind the cold at all. What I minded more was how dry my skin got. All the suggestions above me are perfect. Get her warm clothes, keep bugging her to drink water, and have some lotion available.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Same. When I experienced snow for the first time, I absolutely enjoyed it and didn't even mind the cold at all. What I minded more was how dry my skin got. All the suggestions above me are perfect. Get her warm clothes, keep bugging her to drink water, and have some lotion available.

Great reminder about hydrating...cracked lips and paper-skin are not fun.

Sukie in NY (running to put some lotion on now)

Spoiler

Spoiler

Our Prior Journey

N-400 Naturalization

18-Feb-2018 - submitted N-400 online, credit card charged

18-Feb-2018 - NOA1

12-Mar-2018 - Biometrics 

18-June-2018 - Notice of interview received

26-July-2018 - Interview  - APPROVED!!!

26-July-2018 - Oath Ceremony Scheduled

17-Aug-2018 - Oath Ceremony

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

I live in Wisconsin (and have all my life) and the last couple days were pretty cold. That made me start thinking about how my fiance will adjust to the cold weather. To me it's not a big deal because I am used to it but for her it might be a big deal because she has never been anywhere with snow much less below zero temperatures. She is always excited when I show her the snow on Skype and says she can't wait to get here and see the snow. The other day I told her it was about 20 below here and when I converted it to celcius for her she had a supprised look on her face to say the least lol. After a few seconds she said that is okay and it wont bother her.

Anyways I was hoping some of you could share your experiences involving your spouse or yourself moving form the Philippines to a part of the US with cold weather. On a side note it will be nice leaving the cold weather in a little over a week to go to the Phiippines.

Get her some warm gear - coat, mittens, boots.. she will be fine.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

My filipino wife is experiencing her first midwest winter now. It is not as cold as Wisconsin but still a real adjustment for her. Her second day here we spent shopping for coats, shoes, boots, hats, and gloves. I got here one of the heated throws so she can wrap up in that when she gets cold. I also recommend an electric blanket!!! I keep the house warmer than I used to which does help. the humidifier and rice cooker helps to keep the air from drying out too much. She is adjusting to the colder temperatures very well.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi I also live in Wisconsin from Philippines and just experienced 10below zero last week.. I love snow only if you have proper outfit for it.. I think she will love cold weather here.

May 4, 2014 Met Online

August 21- September 2, 2014 Fiance First Trip to the Philippines

November 13- 25, 2014 Fiance Second Trip to the Philippines

November 16, 2014 Got Engaged

December 14- January 14, 2015 Fiance Third Trip to the Philippines

February 5, 2015 Submit 1-129 petition

February 12, 2015 NOA 1

May 7, 2015 NOA 2 (Approved)

June 3-4, 2015 Medical (Passed)

June 25- July 15, 2015 Fiance Fourth Trip to the Philippines

June 26, 2015 Interview (Passed)

July 8, 2015 Visa Issued

July 11, 2015 Visa on Hand

July 15, 2015 POE Chicago O'Hare Airport

" To God be the Glory"

Emmigrate during the summer or fall. Then it will be like cooking a lobster only in reverse. By the time sub-zero arrives she will have adjusted, haha.

As other have said... Make sure you have fully charged batteries the fist day it snows. It will be a turning point in your wife and son's life that you will want to document forever. My wife and daughter tried to catch the first snow flurries we had this year thinking that was what 'snow' was all about! Fortunately (or not) we still haven't experienced a dig out snowfall yet this year.

IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Manila, Philippines
Marriage (if applicable): 2014-05-17
I-130 Sent : 2014-06-23
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-06-25
I-130 RFE : 2014-08-11 (Wanted NSO Marriage Certificate, not LCR)
I-130 RFE Sent : 2014-08-14
I-130 Approved : 2014-08-27
NVC Received : 2014-09-15
Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2014-09-17
Pay AOS Bill : 2014-09-17
Submit DS-261 : 2014-09-17
Send AOS Package : 2014-09-19
Receive IV Bill : 2014-10-03
Pay IV Bill : 2014-10-03
Received Interview Letter by E-mail: 2015-03-20 (May 5, 2015)
SLEC completed: 2015-04-22
Visa Approved: 2015-05-05
Visa Issued: 2015-05-15 (221g for no CENOMAR!)

Visa Received: 2015-05-21

POE: Chicago 2015-09-14

GC Received: 2015-11-17

My advice would be to get a portable space heater that she can take from room to room if needed. Also, as danlrob recommended, electric blankets!!! It was wonderful going to bed on cold winter nights knowing I would be warm and toasty ^_^

My husband and I lived in Michigan for my first five years in the U.S. and we went through some of the harshest winters ever in Michigan. Honestly, there were days when I was miserable but space heaters, electric blankets, warm coats, thermal undershirts/pants, fleece-lined leggings, winter boots AND gloves (a MUST!!!) made everything better! Lots and lots of warm bear hugs are sure to be appreciated as well. My husband was born and raised in Michigan and he hates the cold almost as much as I do LOL :D

And if she drives, make sure you warn her about black ice on the roads!

I know some people probably don't mind the cold but coming from a tropical climate then moving to a place with subzero temperatures is a huge change. There were times when I told my husband that it felt like the cold would sink deep into my bones and I felt like I couldn't get warm enough. But of course, it's different for everyone. I'm probably one of the worst case scenarios. I looove being warm and will always be happier in warm (around 70°F) temperatures. I do still enjoy the snow but only for the first 2 weeks - fresh snow is so pretty...then it's just cold (sometimes dirty - not so pretty after the roads are plowed and you see dirty snow on the side of the road).

We've moved to California and actually just visited Sequioa National Park while it was snowing up in the mountains! It was very beautiful but oh so cold and I was happy to come back down from the mountains - along with my in-laws who were visiting FROM Michigan LOL.

Edited by F & J

F & J

I-130 / IR-5 TIMELINE (Petition for Mother)

2016/11/14 — I-130 sent via USPS Priority Mail Express 1-Day

2016/11/15 — I-130 delivered at 11:20 am in PHOENIX, AZ 85034 to BANK ONE, signed for by J LOPEZ; Priority Date  |  2016/11/17 Receipt Date

2016/11/18 I-797C Notice Date; USCIS Acceptance Confirmation Email, case routed to Nebraska Service Center  |  2016/11/21I-797C Postmark

2017/01/18 I-797 Approval Notice Date  |  2017/01/19I-797 Postmark  |  2017/01/23 I-797 Approval Notice hard copy received

Hi I also live in Wisconsin from Philippines and just experienced 10below zero last week.. I love snow only if you have proper outfit for it.. I think she will love cold weather here.

Like I said above she gets excited when I show her the snow on Skype. I have my cell phone mounted in my car so she can watch me drive on video Skype and she loves seeing the snow covered corn fields. She even wakes up at 2am her time sometimes so she can watch whie I drive to work lol.

Emmigrate during the summer or fall. Then it will be like cooking a lobster only in reverse. By the time sub-zero arrives she will have adjusted, haha.

As other have said... Make sure you have fully charged batteries the fist day it snows. It will be a turning point in your wife and son's life that you will want to document forever. My wife and daughter tried to catch the first snow flurries we had this year thinking that was what 'snow' was all about! Fortunately (or not) we still haven't experienced a dig out snowfall yet this year.

I am hoping to get the I-130 sent in as soon as possible after we get married in a coupe weeks. With a lot of luck maybe she will get her visa by late fall. That would give her a little time to adjust as you said. However if it takes about a year or a little less that means she will be coming here right in the middle of winter. I better buy all those warm clothes for her and her son as some suggested and have them ready at they airport when they get here lol. No dig out snowfall yet here either. Kind of a warm winter relatively speaking.

My advice would be to get a portable space heater that she can take from room to room if needed. Also, as danlrob recommended, electric blankets!!! It was wonderful going to bed on cold winter nights knowing I would be warm and toasty ^_^

My husband and I lived in Michigan for my first five years in the U.S. and we went through some of the harshest winters ever in Michigan. Honestly, there were days when I was miserable but space heaters, electric blankets, warm coats, thermal undershirts/pants, fleece-lined leggings, winter boots AND gloves (a MUST!!!) made everything better! Lots and lots of warm bear hugs are sure to be appreciated as well. My husband was born and raised in Michigan and he hates the cold almost as much as I do LOL :D

And if she drives, make sure you warn her about black ice on the roads!

I know some people probably don't mind the cold but coming from a tropical climate then moving to a place with subzero temperatures is a huge change. There were times when I told my husband that it felt like the cold would sink deep into my bones and I felt like I couldn't get warm enough. But of course, it's different for everyone. I'm probably one of the worst case scenarios. I looove being warm and will always be happier in warm (around 70°F) temperatures. I do still enjoy the snow but only for the first 2 weeks - fresh snow is so pretty...then it's just cold (sometimes dirty - not so pretty after the roads are plowed and you see dirty snow on the side of the road).

We've moved to California and actually just visited Sequioa National Park while it was snowing up in the mountains! It was very beautiful but oh so cold and I was happy to come back down from the mountains - along with my in-laws who were visiting FROM Michigan LOL.

Did you live in upper or lower Michigan? I have family in upper Michigan and I am planning on moving up there in a couple years. The cold and snow up there are even worse than down here in Wisconsin lol.

As far as driving goes she has never driven a car in her life. But I plan on teaching her. To be honest if I lived in the Philippines I wouldn't want to drive either the way traffic is there lol. For sure there are some specific driving skills you need to drive safely in the winter. I am a little worried about her driving in the winter here. I have been doing it since I first started driving and there are some times when I feel uneasy about driving if the conditions are very bad.

As ar as the cold goes my fiancee has told me she doesn't like how hot it is in the Philippines and she can't wait to move to a colder place. I don't think she knows what she is getting into though lol. You would think she would be used to the heat after living there all her life like I'm used to the cold but maybe not.

morfunphil1_zpsoja67jml.jpg

As far as driving goes she has never driven a car in her life.

But I plan on teaching her.

I predict a cold front approaching!

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

As far as driving goes she has never driven a car in her life. But I plan on teaching her. To be honest if I lived in the Philippines I wouldn't want to drive either the way traffic is there lol. For sure there are some specific driving skills you need to drive safely in the winter. I am a little worried about her driving in the winter here. I have been doing it since I first started driving and there are some times when I feel uneasy about driving if the conditions are very bad.

As ar as the cold goes my fiancee has told me she doesn't like how hot it is in the Philippines and she can't wait to move to a colder place. I don't think she knows what she is getting into though lol. You would think she would be used to the heat after living there all her life like I'm used to the cold but maybe not.

driving... start with lonely country roads, let her get used to the gas & brake pedal before ever getting close to a real street.

Cold.. :lol: they don't have a clue what cold is.. once she finds out it will be a different story.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Maybe not a real good idea... Most country roads have ditches which are hard to back out of.

Going through the trials of self-teaching right now. Funny how when you look up and right to check the rear view mirror your right hand also moves right. $35 used rim and another $30 to mount it. I can't believe tire was still holding air cause the rim had a 6" flat spot on it. Fortunately it was only a curb and not the nearby telephone pole!

IR-1/CR-1 Visa
Service Center : Vermont Service Center
Consulate : Manila, Philippines
Marriage (if applicable): 2014-05-17
I-130 Sent : 2014-06-23
I-130 NOA1 : 2014-06-25
I-130 RFE : 2014-08-11 (Wanted NSO Marriage Certificate, not LCR)
I-130 RFE Sent : 2014-08-14
I-130 Approved : 2014-08-27
NVC Received : 2014-09-15
Received DS-261 / AOS Bill : 2014-09-17
Pay AOS Bill : 2014-09-17
Submit DS-261 : 2014-09-17
Send AOS Package : 2014-09-19
Receive IV Bill : 2014-10-03
Pay IV Bill : 2014-10-03
Received Interview Letter by E-mail: 2015-03-20 (May 5, 2015)
SLEC completed: 2015-04-22
Visa Approved: 2015-05-05
Visa Issued: 2015-05-15 (221g for no CENOMAR!)

Visa Received: 2015-05-21

POE: Chicago 2015-09-14

GC Received: 2015-11-17

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.